Carpenter bee problem

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
My girlfriends front porch is swarming with them. I sprayed the holes with an insecticide and we flushed and killed 36(some with a whiffle ball bat due to my ninja skills even though the neighbors probably thought I was crazy) so far and no bees were hanging around. So less than 15 minutes later we are watching at least another 10-15 bees still flying around the porch.....anybody have any experience with this big of a problem?

bfowler97

I have them sworming my whole backyard...... the dog loves going after them. They dont seem to aggresive though, just big and clumsy. Ive been told they will migrate elswhere after spring......

creekhobo

Ten Pointer
I made a trap and it works good. I took a coke bottle and built a box around it out of old wood. Then drilled a hole in the sides at a upward angle into the bottle. Slide the bottle out of the box and make the holes a little bigger in the coke bottle and then take two lids and cut the top off and tape together and place a smaller bottle on the bottom of the bigger bottle.

DSC075981.jpg

DSC075971.jpg

Banditz

Well, if your neighbors thought you were crazy, lets just say mine likely called the nut house on me!!!

Get out your weed wacker. yep, the weed wacker. crank it up and hold it about a foot away from the little boogers. Like idiots they will fly right into the darn thing! Just watch out for the flying parts..... I can take out a whole freaking crew of them in around 10 minutes!! They will come back yes, but, when they do just crank her up again.. The good thing is they are pretty much harmless. Had many of them land on me or the kiddos and never had one bite yet. BTW, no stingers... But they will bite.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
I have a bunch of them. I got one of those tennis racket looking things that zaps them. That is pretty fun but I have so many I need to make a trap!

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I had a swarm around the deck last week and sprayed it with permethrin. Haven't seen but 1 yesterday and it never landed.

bflee

My grandaddy showed me a trick to trap them years ago before he died. I had a large group of them in my outbuilding that I hadnt noticed for a long time. He made a little shelf and mounted it just high enough to hold it right under their access hole in the eave. When I noticed it again sometime the next week it was 3/4" full of bees. They would drop in when flying out and could not fly out of the jar. I thought it was pretty neat. I could not see why they couldnt fly out of that thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
⬆️That sounds pretty cool. Gonna try that before I build the trap shown earlier in the thread.

Sent from wherever I was at the time...

bflee

I wish he was still around to show me alot of stuff he knew now. Back in my late teens I was looking at other stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I have them ever spring and I use a badminton racquet to slice them like salami. LOL. would rather do the trap thingies but where they are boring is about 20 beet off the ground. The steep bank makes it impossible, at least for me, to reach them so I just wait until one makes a mistake and comes low enough for a good swat with the racquet.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
the carport at our house and the outbuildings were infested with them,,,,,,constantly work on them,,,,,have them under control now,,,,,mostly badminton/tennis racket action and the foaming carpenter bee spray in their holes,,,,,

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
the carport at our house and the outbuildings were infested with them,,,,,,constantly work on them,,,,,have them under control now,,,,,mostly badminton/tennis racket action and the foaming carpenter bee spray in their holes,,,,,

the spray is what I was using yesterday and they were falling out of the holes like crazy. like I said we killed 35 or so and she sent me a text today saying there was another big swarm out there today. so when I get back over there tomorrow afternoon I'll work on them some more

Last edited:

bassgunner

I have found it to be a constant battle until they go back into their holes late spring. Then you don't see the swarms anymore. I have not yet been successfull in totally getting rid of them.

genbud78

Ten Pointer
We bought a house last year with this issue. The seller paid an exterminator to come out and sprayed for them. I believe it was about $200 but not sure since I didn't pay for it. The traps are probably a lot cheaper and will work just as well.