Toyota Tundra v. Tacoma actual gas mileage

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you have a 2008 or newer of either of these trucks, what kind of gas mileage do you get.

Thanks.

nckeith

Ten Pointer
had a 2008 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 5.7L for about 3 years prior to it being repurchased from toyota. I had put on about 65000 mostly highway miles on that truck and its real world average mileage was 15-16 with a mix of driving. As low as 13-14 with a trailer and 4 wheeler, and on the flat smooth roads of florida with summer blend gas it could get 17-18 on I95 with speeds around 70. Having owned Tacomas before the Tundra, I would say the v6 tacoma was nearly identical in mileage. maybe 1 mile per gallon better and sometimes worse with a trailer. It didn't seem possible that a truck that was so much smaller and 150 horsepower less could be so poor on fuel compared to the full size but it was.

NCLANDMAN

2014 tundra 5.7 4x4

Same experience as above. 13 highway with trailer. Average 17 highway unloaded. 18-19 if I baby it. Around town 10-13 mpg.

The issue I have is not with the mileage, it is with the Barbie sized gas tank. I have to fill up TWICE a day on my average work day. (300 miles or more)

DCD77

Four Pointer
2011 Tundra Crewmax 4x4. Just got back from Disney and got 17.3 hand calculated for the whole trip.

flathead977

Ten Pointer
08 Tacoma 19-20 most of the time. I have gotten 22 on a trip, but that's not often. 4 door 4wd sport edition.

Last edited:

Southside

Ten Pointer
08 Tundra 5.7L . 15 Mpg would be the over all average. A whole day "around town" will burn some fuel though. Plenty of power though.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I have a 2011 and 2012, both 4x4 Taco V6 auto, one LB one SB.

Both suck on fuel, wife gets the best about 19-20 going easy on a trip but 15-17 most all the time.
I get 15-16 about all the time and 12-13 towing my ATV hunting.

Speed kills these on MPG, if you drive any roads 65-75 MPH it will flat eat it. Towing, just out of the question.

I really would have got a tundra if I had towed with the wifes truck to hunt camp a few times but I started looking out of hunting season and it is rated for 6k towing....

BTW if you plan to haul anything, the bump stops will beat the crap out of you. You will need air bags, then all is great.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I may be driving +/- 80mi./day in the near future. The two trains of thought are:

1. If you're gonna be in a vehicle that much, it might as well be something you like.

2. If you're gonna be driving that much, just buy/drive something good on gas and have another vehicle for the weekends.

If I had something that got 30mpg., I could save enough money in a couple years to pay for a 30mpg beater.

At 15mpg, 80mi./day is over $400/mo.

Thanks for the real-world numbers.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
One thing to add with the miles you are talking...
The newer Tacos want all the fluid, f&r diff, trans, Transfer, oil, 2 filters, and plugs, changed EVERY 30k plus the normal 5K oil changes.

All the other trucks I have ever had you did not change the diff or trans and transfer for about 70-90 K or more.

nckeith

Ten Pointer
I may be driving +/- 80mi./day in the near future. The two trains of thought are:

1. If you're gonna be in a vehicle that much, it might as well be something you like.

2. If you're gonna be driving that much, just buy/drive something good on gas and have another vehicle for the weekends.

If I had something that got 30mpg., I could save enough money in a couple years to pay for a 30mpg beater.

At 15mpg, 80mi./day is over $400/mo.

Thanks for the real-world numbers.
The other annoying thing with the tundra is the tiny gas tank. I love my 36 gallon tank in my f150 . When I had my tundra I worked all over nc and Florida and could fill up twice a day

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
The other annoying thing with the tundra is the tiny gas tank. I love my 36 gallon tank in my f150 . When I had my tundra I worked all over nc and Florida and could fill up twice a day

I would say that for the Taco also, it is very small... I had a 36-38 gal tank on my last truck. I find myself filling up after a few hrs if towing....

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
I had a 2008 Tundra with 5.7 and with a mix of driving I got 15 mpg. My experience pulling trailers I got 9-12 Mpgs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bosun

I have a 2001 Tundra that I love. Eventually, she was pretty dinged up and gnarly and I was driving 2000 miles per month. I shopped around looking at smaller trucks and SUV's that would have better mpg, but still be able to offer the utility and 4wd of a truck.

I ended up keeping the truck and buying a brand new VW Jetta:D Never thought I'd own a car, but I love this thing. The best part is that the fuel saving actually cover my monthly payments!! Now I have a fuel efficient daily driver and my truck when I need it.

Just another option to consider. Good luck

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a 2001 Tundra that I love. Eventually, she was pretty dinged up and gnarly and I was driving 2000 miles per month. I shopped around looking at smaller trucks and SUV's that would have better mpg, but still be able to offer the utility and 4wd of a truck.

I ended up keeping the truck and buying a brand new VW Jetta Never thought I'd own a car, but I love this thing. The best part is that the fuel saving actually cover my monthly payments!! Now I have a fuel efficient daily driver and my truck when I need it.

Just another option to consider. Good luck

I have a 2003 Tundra, and I'd consider this as well. I could always drive the 4wd Tundra if bad weather was a threat.

Paper

2011 taco 4x4 4 door. I get about 17mpg highway. I drive around 110miles a day to and from work. Got a gas sipper I drive to work and keep the taco in the garage. They like to drink gas on the highway.

buffleheadnc2

If you got to drive that much a day I think you would be better off with something alot better on gas alot of cars and small SUVs are getting 30-40 miles per gallon now. Have what evere truck you want for hunting and the weekend and with it not being your daily driver it will last you along time that way.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
My '08 Tundra has a lifetime avg of 15.4 according to the info button. 4.7, 4x4, Double Cab. That's a good mix of highway, town, and pulling, over 116k.

sent from wherever I is

Natural Flight Ryan

I've got a '11 crewmax 5.7 with a six inch lift and 35x12.50s. I usually get about 12-13.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
If I were driving 80+ miles a day I would get a 30mpg car like you were saying.

I have a 02 4x4 crew cab tacoma and it sucks on gas to be a small truck and doesn't ride that good either. Between the two I would get the Tundra.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
My 5.7 2008 4x4 tundra crewmax gets 13.5 average here in the mountains and thats not hot rodding,,, when I venture out into the flatlands I get 16-18 mpg if I stay below 70mph and it drops back to 14 if your running 80-85, it's a flying brick at that speed.

My parents have a taco V-6 4x4 with a manual 6 speed and they get 18 mpg here in the mountains, if theirs was an auto they would probably get no better than I do

My wife just bought a 2013 honda accord, 4 cylinder 6 speed manual and she gets 31 mpg average here in the mountains, that's really good for here and it's a very fun car to drive.

In the mountains auto transmissions suck for mpg. were my tundra a 6 speed manual I would get much better mileage, darn thing downshifts all the way to 4th on a few of the highway hills that I drive everyday. That kills your mileage.

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have a '08 Tundra Double Cab with the 5.7. I average 15-16 mpg. Before I put the cab high dog box on it I averaged 17-18 mpg. I did get a little over 21 mpg on it cruising at 60 mph down a 4 lane for a couple hours once, probably got cussed a couple times too! Just wanted to see what it would get. Other than the 5.7 and the Double Cab my truck is a basic model 4.10 gears (TRD's 4.30's). I can tow my 17' aluminum boat and get 15 mpg, my 19' Key Largo sets me back to 10 mpg and it don't like trailers with the ramp/wind gates it will pull'em fine but mpg drops loaded or unloaded. I have pulled a 21' Mako with my truck and it will snatch that boat right on down the road, but if you keep the petal down too long the fuel gauge drops faster than the speedometer climbs.

Overall I have liked my Tundra and if trucks weren't so expensive I would consider another new one. Bought mine new in '08 for $26K.

bflee

I owned a 2007 taco and now have a 2011 tundra dc 4x4. For gas mileage I average 16 unless my wife drives it. On flat land like Florida I have gotten 19 average out of a tank. The taco was just a touch better but the Tundra is fast and strong. A nice truck but not a commuter! I have a corolla for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Coach

Four Pointer
2013 Tacoma Ext Cab 4cyl 5speed.
18-20 in the mtns; 20-22 on the road.
2004 Tacoma Ext Cab 4cyl 5speed
20 in the mtns; 24 on the road if kept 70mph or less.

Contenderv07

Six Pointer
If you're only gonna get about 20 with the taco, you may want to consider a diesel. You can get a cummins or Dmax, add EFI live, ( ECU programming) and depending on tire size, you can get 22 or so. I've got a Dmax with 33's and got 22 mpg hand calculated. Smaller tire, maybe get up to 25.Not to mention you can get one with more miles on it and they're bulletproof. Just something to think about

Last edited:

wardbr549

I got a 05 taco i get 20 mpg. 6 sp. man 4x4 sport. Love the truck. i drive 8 miles to work and around town. Mpg don't bother me till i go 72 miles to the deer lease. 30 bucks round trip last week. Wife has a honda Civic. 40 mpg in town on highway don't matter. Don't know what you need want but if you have a long daily drive you should look for a higher mpg.Good luck

Craig@NC

I though the fuelly website would be more helpful but here you go:

I have a 2014 Tacoma DCSB TRD OR and I got 19.89 MPG on the last tank not hauling much of anything on mostly country roads and driving around town; so not really a lot of interstate driving but not much in the way of stop and go either. It's never going to be more economical than my Honda Civic but I'm awfully happy to have a 4x4 truck that can hover around 20 MPG. Along the lines of what Contenderv07 wrote above, you might also want to look into the new Ram 1500 with the turbo diesel.