Toyota Tundra v. Tacoma actual gas mileage

Contenderv07

Six Pointer
I though the fuelly website would be more helpful but here you go:

I have a 2014 Tacoma DCSB TRD OR and I got 19.89 MPG on the last tank not hauling much of anything on mostly country roads and driving around town; so not really a lot of interstate driving but not much in the way of stop and go either. It's never going to be more economical than my Honda Civic but I'm awfully happy to have a 4x4 truck that can hover around 20 MPG. Along the lines of what Contenderv07 wrote above, you might also want to look into the new Ram 1500 with the turbo diesel.

Forgot all about the 1500 diesel. I think the Nissan Titan is getting the same Diesel engine too

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
When I first got the 4Runner it was getting 14 after a tune up it is close to the 19-20 mark. A good tune up is a cheap way to increase mileage. I get about 18 with my V6 Tundra. My brother in law says he is getting 19-20 with his V8 Super Crew Tundra.

MAM3006

Six Pointer
I am on my 4th Tacoma. Current one is a 2012 4x4 with 6 cylinder, auto tranny. Love the truck, hate the gas mileage. Average 17-18. All the others I owned were in the same range. Have heard that the problem with Toyota trucks & gas mileage is the gears they use. Not sure if that is true. With all the technology advancements, why does it seem so difficult to make a truck with decent gas mileage these days?

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am on my 4th Tacoma. Current one is a 2012 4x4 with 6 cylinder, auto tranny. Love the truck, hate the gas mileage. Average 17-18. All the others I owned were in the same range. Have heard that the problem with Toyota trucks & gas mileage is the gears they use. Not sure if that is true. With all the technology advancements, why does it seem so difficult to make a truck with decent gas mileage these days?

Emissions regulations and ethanol gas.

bflee

I think it has more to do with your driving style than anything. I can average 17-18 on my 5.7 tundra 4x4 DC commuting to work which is 21 miles of mostly country road. If I drive 55 it stays that way.
Then again my wife can leave with it and an average of 17-18 and bring it back with a 14 average. I dont know why it does that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
2014 Tundra Crewmax
stock 18 inch wheels tires

15.8 mpg

Checked the last tank on my 2008 Tundra DC 5.7 with almost 130K, on Sunday, the average was 15.8 mpg. With stock rims and 275/65R18 tires. This is of course with the wind catcher(cab high dog box) on it and mostly secondary roads.

Last edited:

outdrsmn

Six Pointer
I have both trucks. The Tacoma is a 2004, 4x4, 3 inch lift, 6 cyl and the Tundra is the 4x4 Crewmax. To be honest neither gets gas mileage well enough to be compared to commuting vehicles. The difference is the Tundra will drink gas if you are a lil heavy with your foot at the stip light. Easy acceleration is what the tank likes. I drive the Tacoma daily and probably average in the 16 mpg but I sacrifice my comfort!

My Uncle told me that if you have to worry about the gas mileage then maybe you should reconsider your purchase.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I have both trucks. The Tacoma is a 2004, 4x4, 3 inch lift, 6 cyl and the Tundra is the 4x4 Crewmax. To be honest neither gets gas mileage well enough to be compared to commuting vehicles. The difference is the Tundra will drink gas if you are a lil heavy with your foot at the stip light. Easy acceleration is what the tank likes. I drive the Tacoma daily and probably average in the 16 mpg but I sacrifice my comfort!

My Uncle told me that if you have to worry about the gas mileage then maybe you should reconsider your purchase.

Lot more goes into it than that and making it so easy.
Has more to do the MPG and that = Miles per tank. Needing to fill up on a trip every 175-220 miles sucks even if you do not care about the money or the MPG.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
2014 Tundra Crewmax
stock 18 inch wheels tires

15.8 mpg

How you like it and have you towed anything with it?
Like a med size trailer/atv and hunting gear.
Will it hold speed at 70 and not need to shift down all the time?

That is the problem I run into on the Taco. 64-74 is a dead zone that is always wants to shift for anything, any hill, grade, wind, passing anything.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Mr. Gadget, I tow my boats with my Tundra. By the way mine is also a 4x4. It is a base truck w/o tow haul but has electric shift if I need it. When I bought mine all with the 5.7 had the same transmission cooling system, so I saw no need to spend the extra money for a TRD. Mine came with 4:10 gears in the differentials and the TRD's had 4:30's, but the same axles and axle housings. My Tundra don't like curse control except on flat ground by itsself, little long towing. I constantly shifts down on inclines and shifts up while descending. The only complaint I have with the 6 speed in mine is the shift points, shifting 4th to 5th at 45 mph and 5th to 6th at 55 mph, to to get the rpms down, so I'm always speeding on secondary roads. The truck has plenty of power to pull anything in reason. When I pull my 17' aluminum boat I still average around 15 mpg. I also tow a 19' Key Largo that is a fairly heavy fiberglass boat and average around 10 mpg at highway speeds. It has snatched a 21' Mako around really well. I put the hammer down to merge with traffic and it didn't hesitate, now with a heavy load and a heavy foot I hate to see what the mpg was I didn't want to know.

I would bet with a modest load being towed I'm guessing 280 to 300 mpg per tank. That said the truck is suppose to have a 26 gallon tank and the most I have every put in it with the gauge well into empty was 24 gallons and 22 when on empty.

Last edited:

gregor187

Six Pointer
My truck is a little older but Toyota Fans may appreciate,,,,,,,2000 Tacoma x cab 4x4 v6 auto 31/10.50/15 tires
I commute 100 miles a day Raleigh to Goldsboro and get about 19.50 MPG

Truck has 598,000 actual miles and have NEVER been into engine or transmission. Change oil every 10 thousand miles and have to add a quart at 5000 miles.......Have never changed any other types of oil.

It has not been babied in the least. It has been down many a muddy dirt road and path and in and out of 4x4 probably a 1000 times.
Do not have any plans to replace in the next few years at least and will go to Texas tomorrow if needed without a second thought.
When waxed and cleaned it only looks a few years old. ( and it makes me made as h_ll that US companies WONT make a product of this quality...)

However just put a set of Toyo 31-10.50-15 open country MT,s tires and have lost about three mile per gallon. They are a great tire
BUT THEY ARE FOR SALE.......HIT ME UP........TWO WEEKS OLD......
new 925.00 will sell for 700.00 Again,,,,they are new,,,,,,,call me but price is firm.

This is a great post as I have been thinking of a Tundra this go round.......Very Good Information.

bflee

I tow a 30 foot camper behind my Tundra 5.7 with no issues. It does like to downshift in drive but I use the manual shifter when I am not on the interstate. It dies great in drive on the interstate. Their is no lack of power. I can pull it 80 MPH if I want to. I have before at night coming back from the outer banks! The gas mileage with a 6500 pound trailer drops to around 10 mpg and a sane speed and about 8 at insane levels. I have owned all of them at one time or another and the Tundra is pretty good.
On a side note, I pulled the same camper to Hatteras with my old tacoma DC. Thats why I own the tundra now! It had the power to pull it but not enough --- to handle it when someone came by you from behind in the left lane! The rear end would "swim". I didnt like that feeling at all.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I tow a 30 foot camper behind my Tundra 5.7 with no issues. It does like to downshift in drive but I use the manual shifter when I am not on the interstate. It dies great in drive on the interstate. Their is no lack of power. I can pull it 80 MPH if I want to. I have before at night coming back from the outer banks! The gas mileage with a 6500 pound trailer drops to around 10 mpg and a sane speed and about 8 at insane levels. I have owned all of them at one time or another and the Tundra is pretty good.
On a side note, I pulled the same camper to Hatteras with my old tacoma DC. Thats why I own the tundra now! It had the power to pull it but not enough --- to handle it when someone came by you from behind in the left lane! The rear end would "swim". I didnt like that feeling at all.

Was thinking some more about this, what are the thoughts on the posted limits for the Tundra for towing.
I think it is in the 9500 lb range, you have towed 6500, do you think you could tow a trailer in the 8000-9000 lb range safe and easy?

bflee

With no problem. The 6500 is what my trailer is, not counting the stuff we put in it such as groceries and fishing gear. I also have a large gas grill, four bicycles and alot of other crap! If you check the tow ratings on vehicles the only manufacturer who posts the industry agreed to standard is Toyota. Other companies agreed to it about six years ago but still post their own info because the standard cuts their tow rating and makes their product not look as good.
If I were going to haul something that heavy all the time I would go diesel. For my camper and gear though I could pull it all the time. I would estimate another at least 1500 pounds on top of the 6500 with everything my family takes! I forgot about the two kayaks and I am sure some other stuff!