A little further along.....

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
...in my journey to be more self-sufficient in this archery thing. Going traditional only has been a challenge in more ways than one. Forget the fact that you're shooting with no sights, no let-off...try finding the right equipment! Local shops may carry a few crossover items...gloves, shafts that might work, feathers if you're really lucky...but try finding a high performance string and you might as well be looking for a white crow. Add the fact that I shoot Warfs, a breed all by themselves, and that I change limbs like people change socks. What happens is that I usually end up ordering a new string just to find out that I needed one a little bit longer or a little bit shorter to get to the right brace height....at $20 a pop and another week's wait.

I've been chopping my own fletching from barred turkey feathers, fletching my own arrows, and doing my own center servings for awhile now. I've learned to build my own shooting tabs. A couple of weeks ago I built an endless loop string jig and last week I ordered the materials. They came in yesterday and I got rained out today...perfect timing.

I built a test string last night using two loops from an old string with a ratchet strap in the middle. It makes it really easy find my target brace height and the resulting string length, just work with the ratchet strap to get your brace height and then put it on the jig and measure. Today I set up the jig and built my first string...a 14 strand endless loop of tan 8190 served with brown .019 Halo serving. Hit my target brace height on the first try with minimal twists. Bringing the end loops together was a bit of a challenge, had to re-serve one, but I ended up with a nice high performance string and was pretty happy with being able to do one more thing to make myself more self-sufficient.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Cool stuff and good job. I am also (very slowly) getting into all this. Very interesting and fun.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It's definitely good to be able to do it for yourself when you are using a specialty item. It doesn't come easy though.

And just think, one day that might be your only option...:rolleyes:

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Heck sky hawk, it almost is now. 8190 strings are getting expensive and if your guesstimation is just a little of all you have is a 66" boot lace! The sweetest thing I've found is that for what I'd pay for just a couple of strings I've got enough material to do a bunch of them any time I need one and to my own specs.