Reloading question

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
Disclaimer: I have ZERO (0, cero, nilch, nada, never done it before) experience with reloading, other than trying to make sense of listening to others talk about it.

Would anyone recommend a Lee Loader or something of the sort for a beginner? I don't shoot thousands of rounds, just your occasional plinking and NOT long range/precision shooting, so I don't see a full fledge operation necessary for my needs. Mostly looking to do a few 9mm, .270, some shotgun shells if they make one, .357 mag. It seems to be a pretty straight forward little kit, so is it something anyone has any experience with/would confidently recommend?
Thank you in advance

Natural Flight Ryan

Never used lee equipment. I spent a little more for RCBS and I've been extremely pleased

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have the lee turret kit. It's a beginner kit and pretty simple. I ordered it and a set of carbide 9mm dies. That is pretty much it. Also need calipers to set the dies...but it isn't complicated. If you are going to reload...go ahead and get a turret. The lee loader kits are very good though....very accurate.

I bought rifle dies and pistol dies for most calibers I had. I sold them all and stick with 9mm now. I may buy a set of 38/357 soon. Master one caliber before you jump all in and look for a bunch.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Ive got a Lee single stage and it works great, if your gonna be loading alot of handgun or smaller rifle ammo Id recommend a small RCBS progressive build but if your going for precise loads get a Lee or RCBS single stage press they're both quality products

wardy

Ten Pointer
Ain't nothing in the world wrong with Lee reloading equipment. Period. That's all I've ever used and I've had no problems with any of my equipment. Just because it costs more doesn't necessarily mean its better. The cash you save buying the entire Lee kit vs the RCBS one you can put towards powder, primers and pills....just my opinion.

Via Droid Maxx using Tapatalk

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have been using a Lee single stage press. I purchased it with their kit. I have used it for several years now and it has done what I needed it to do.

Good luck and have fun.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Ain't nothing in the world wrong with Lee reloading equipment. Period. That's all I've ever used and I've had no problems with any of my equipment. Just because it costs more doesn't necessarily mean its better. The cash you save buying the entire Lee kit vs the RCBS one you can put towards powder, primers and pills....just my opinion.

That's the way I look at it too. I have used a Lee single stage for awhile now and haven't had any trouble.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
One thing that you mentioned that no one has addressed, I've never seen a set up that you could load pistol/rifle cartridges and shotgun shells. Haven't been into reloading in some time and maybe I'm behind times. Maybe someone else will address this and give a definitive answer.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns

This...^^^^^ I've got both ..Lee and RCBS....and IMHO the only difference in the 2 is the higher price tag on the RCBS. As far as reliability and accuracy....their the same....

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
One thing that you mentioned that no one has addressed, I've never seen a set up that you could load pistol/rifle cartridges and shotgun shells. Haven't been into reloading in some time and maybe I'm behind times. Maybe someone else will address this and give a definitive answer.
LTS is right to my knowledge shotguns require a totally separate setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
The only bad thing I've heard about the Lee Loader is that you can set off a primer if you hit it too hard with the hammer/mallet you are using.

I went straight to a Hornady LNL autoprogressive loader. I can (and do) run it as a single stage at times, depending on what I'm doing. The system for the dies makes it easy to use whatever dies I want and it's very flexible. For example, the other other night, I ran out of 30 Carbine brass but still had small rifle primers in the tube. I grabbed some 300 BLK brass and ran it through with just a sizing die to prime them. I've also had incidents where I had a primed piece of brass that I knocked out of the shell plate, spilling the powder. I just set it aside and when I was done, removed the sizing die and ran it through the system.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
For starters, rifle/handgun loads vs shotgun loading require different set-ups. I have never used a Lee loader (I'm assuming you are refering to the handheld) but do have several Lee presses. For a beginner, I would not recommend a progressive, but instead would steer you to either a single stage or a turret press. Single is a bit slower and you must change the dies out for each step and caliber, but makes you more aware of what you are doing at each step. The turret presses allow you to set each die set in individual turrets and just swap each set as needed so adjustments stay the same. Also, I'm not a fan of the "kits" as some items included are not what I like to use for various reasons. Ex: not a fan of the Lee scales as I prefer Lyman. I also like the Lyman powder dispenser and RCBS powder trickler. If you decide to get into reloading, first purchace, or borrow, a couple of reloading books and actually read them. For your safety and those around you. If you have any questions, I'll be glad to help if I can.

holton27596

have had several presses. the lee turret press is fast, simple and inexpensive. A great press for a beginner.

Lou

Eight Pointer
Would anyone recommend a Lee Loader or something of the sort for a beginner?

If you're referring to this $28 "kit" from Midway: http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/735723/lee-classic-loader-308-winchester?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Then no, I would not recommend it. I was given one years ago, and while I would certainly use it in a "survival" situation, there's no way I would spend $28 on one. I'd rather put that $28 toward an entry-level Lee single-stage or turret press kit.

Look at it this way, I've never seen anyone lose a bucket of money on quality reloading equipment. If you can't afford it now, start saving your money and buy a press vs. the Lee Loader kit. If you need to sell your setup down the road, you will find a buyer and won't lose your shirt. I would bet that Lee equipment depreciates slightly more than RCBS, Lyman, Redding, Hornady, and Dillon equipment, but you'll still recover a significant portion of your investment if you ever sell. Plus, you'll have the convenience of loading on a real press vs. the Rube Goldberg Lee Loader. :)

I still have the original Rockchucker press I bought over 30 years ago, and would not consider selling it, even though I added a Dillon 550 setup years ago. My bet is that once you get "into" reloading, even for modest quantities, you won't get "out" of it!

Good luck,
Lou

Deerjager

I started with Lee 24+ years ago, I now have Lee, Hornady, RCBS and Lyman presses in single stage. The only Lee products I do not like are the collet dies and their progressive presses, all other products I have owned have given great service through the years. If you want a good progressive, go with Dillon, hands down.

I have no knowledge of a press that handles shot shells and centerfire rifle/pistol. That would be a complicated piece of equipment IMO. If you want an inexpensive shot shell loader, start with the MEC 600 (right model #?) Great basic press and just perfect for a box or two.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I just replaced my Lee press after nearly 40 years of handloading thousands of rounds. It still works, just creaks a little. LOL! Yes, replaced it with another Lee Turret press so I'm good to go for another 40 years.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Disclaimer: I have ZERO (0, cero, nilch, nada, never done it before) experience with reloading, other than trying to make sense of listening to others talk about it.

Would anyone recommend a Lee Loader or something of the sort for a beginner? I don't shoot thousands of rounds, just your occasional plinking and NOT long range/precision shooting, so I don't see a full fledge operation necessary for my needs. Mostly looking to do a few 9mm, .270, some shotgun shells if they make one, .357 mag. It seems to be a pretty straight forward little kit, so is it something anyone has any experience with/would confidently recommend?
Thank you in advance

I would get the best "kit" I could afford. If the Lee is it thern by all means get it but I would suggest the RCBS Special 5 Explorer or the Rockchucker Supreme Master kit. However, the Hornady Loc-N-Load Classic, Redding Big Boss, and the Lyman Crusher 2 Expert are equally as serviceable as well. Don't let the "cheapest" price be your determining factor, get quality and get the one that is going to have the things that you must have and are gling to need. Also, since you mentioned shotgun shells, you are going to need a sperate press for those, because you cannot load shotgun on a single stage rifle/pistol press. I would suggest the MEC 600 Jr Mk 5 for your shotgun reloading needs.

The things that you are going to need (and should look for in a kit), in no particular order are:
- Single stage press.
- Powder scale, beam or digital.
- Powder charger.
- Priming tool, whether it be a hand primer or attached to the press.
- Case lube and lube pad.
- Reloading manuals (the more the better, you can never have too many).
- case chamfering tool.
- Case trimmer/neck turner.
- Case loading block.
- Powder funnel.
- Case neck brush.
- Primer pocket cleaner/reamer.
- Powder trickler.
- 6" Dial calipers.
- Shell holders (for both hand priming tool and press).
- Dies for each cartridge.
- Bullet puller.

This is not by any m eans a complete list, but it will get you started.

As you gain experience you will discover that there are probably a hundred more items and things you will need or want, to include upgrading to a progressive press for handgun ammo. Been rolling my own since I was 14 (that was over 35 years ago) and I still find stuff all the time I need and want.

Last edited:

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns

Thank you in advance
Given your specific criteria laid out here, reloading will never be worth it for you. you would be better to stick with factory ammo and be done with it. It is only when you get into shooting thousands and thousands of multiple rounds. If you want to do it as a hobby, then you will get more enjoyment out of spending the money and buying a decent kit and going that route and great advice has already been offered here in that regards.

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Reloading small amounts will never recover one's investment in reloading equipment. In this case it must be justified by enjoyment or accuracy or some other performance parameter one wants to achieve. It is kind of heavy on the equipment side for the first caliber but not so much so for subsequent ones.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
It does if factory ammo costs $7.00 a round! I haven't bought any store bought ammo (except .22's) in many years. For popular calibers I can load premium grade ammo for roughly a dollar a round. For my 30/378 I can load for around $3.00 a round, but that price should drop some over time.

holton27596

when I bought my turret press It paid for itself in less than 3 months (500 rounds a week, when I was on the pistol team), it does not take nearly as l;ong to pay for it as some on here are saying unledd you start buying a dillon or othertop price brands.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
It is true that it may take a while to pay for itself if you don;t shoot a lot. But other reasons for handloading include (and some were mentioned already) ...

1) the satisfaction of doing it yourself
2) a fun hobby
3) tuning for extreme accuracy
4) loading for wildcat / exotic rounds that you just can't find at a decent price or AT ALL
5) loading specialty rounds for common cartridges that you just can't find ( e.g. 100 grain in a .270 Win) on the store shelves
6) reduced loads for plinking or practice
7) learning about internal / external ballistics
8) ??....

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Check out the guys at Lucky 13 Bullets. They helped get me started and they have a ton of reloading supplies. They are in Kernersville. I am currently reloading .45ACP. I am saving .20 a round and it will not take me long to pay of my reloading equipment.

rem1148

I use a Lee Turret press. Buy the kit spoke of in earlier post. I load 38/357, 40 S&W, 44mag and 45acp on same press. Just buy an extra turret and lee pro powder measure for each caliber. Once you have them setup all you have to do is lift one out and drop in another. I load a few rifle rounds on a hornady single stage. If I`m gonna load rifle I`m gonna have every round exactly the same! Shotgun shells are loaded on an old Mec Grabber. 10, 12 & 20ga.

Likewise on Lucky 13! Great folks, good bullets in good ole NC!

Last edited:

highclimber

Old Mossy Horns
I started, with the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Kit. Had pretty much, everything needed, to actually load the rounds, except for the Dies, and loading supplies. Bought a Dillon Tumbler, and some Dial Calipers, and I was set.
Got, where I was spending a little too much on .45ACP, and ended up, with a Dillon RL550B, progressive press. Which I load 45ACP, and 44 Mags with. Makes quick work...300 or so rounds an hour when you get used to it. The Dillon, paid for itself, pretty quick. Went from paying $18 or so, (At the time) for a 50 round box of Ball, to $8.34 per 50.

MAM3006

Six Pointer
With the cost of ammo these days it does not take long at all to break even. The issue is that finding componenets to reload with (powder especially) is very difficult to find. I started relaoding 10 years ago with a Lee turret press. I have reloaded thousands of rifle and pistol rounds with it. It easily meets my needs and producers very accurate ammo at about 1/2 the cost of what you would pay for it at a store.

SUGARTOWNTAXIDERMY

Ten Pointer
Shotgun shells can be loaded with a single stage press with the use of RCBS shotgun dies, however it is a real pain to be honest. They are mainly designed for guys who want to load their own slugs. They require a RCBS press due to removing the main threaded insert.

If I was starting over I would highly consider a Lee setup, just because it is much cheaper, they do work and if I decided it wasnt for me I could recover my money easily!