NCWRC screwing over hunters who use dogs for deer?

Southside

Ten Pointer
In the western part of the state there are already these type of areas. Its called bear sanctuary. The land companies have already started restricting this and now the state is too it looks like. I'm afraid its the beginning of the end.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I all honesty, it seems that they are leaning to no dogs. The NCWRC has created no dog hunting for deer gamelands in Halifax(these are not the Roanoke River Wetlands either) Nash and other counties as well. I am just familiar with those in the two counties mentioned. Some are small tracts and it is understandable but some are quite large. A couple years ago in Warren/Halifax County they wanted to make several 1000 acres of gameland no dog hunting for deer. Due to the large turn out of hunters at the meeting this never happened. They have limited some gamelands in the east to certain days of the week also. There are plenty of gamelands offered to still hunters. All of the gamelands on the Roanoke River, Cape Fear River, Eastern Halifax and Edgecombe Counties. Sandhills is limited as is Holly Shelter to dog hunting. Some On Kerr Lake is no dog hunting as everything that is west of the "dog line". Not counting all the National Wildlife Refuges that don't allow deer dog hunting except for some of the Alligator River NWR. I do know the NCWRC has nothing to do with the regulations on the NWR's but still hunters have plenty of public land to hunt in eastern NC. In matter of fact the RRNWR and Roanoke River Wetlands took a number of old, large dog clubs out of NE NC. Some of the small tracts of gameland here are "no dog hunting for deer" and are surrounded by dog clubs. Retrieve a hound off it with a firearm in the vehicle and that's a sure ticket, some say you can't even retrieve a hound on them period.

Can't help but think some of this came out of the meetings on gamelands the last few weeks.

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
After reading the announcement I think it is even more obscure . Even the NCWRC must be saying dog hunters trespass more and are more dangerous. Stating safety and trespassing concerns as reasons to create still hunting zones. I will say I heard dog associations leaders talk out both sides of their mouth and will say that I know the NCWRC has/is doing the same.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I all honesty, it seems that they are leaning to no dogs. The NCWRC has created no dog hunting for deer gamelands in Halifax(these are not the Roanoke River Wetlands either) Nash and other counties as well. I am just familiar with those in the two counties mentioned. Some are small tracts and it is understandable but some are quite large. A couple years ago in Warren/Halifax County they wanted to make several 1000 acres of gameland no dog hunting for deer. Due to the large turn out of hunters at the meeting this never happened. They have limited some gamelands in the east to certain days of the week also. There are plenty of gamelands offered to still hunters. All of the gamelands on the Roanoke River, Cape Fear River, Eastern Halifax and Edgecombe Counties. Sandhills is limited as is Holly Shelter to dog hunting. Some On Kerr Lake is no dog hunting as everything that is west of the "dog line". Not counting all the National Wildlife Refuges that don't allow deer dog hunting except for some of the Alligator River NWR. I do know the NCWRC has nothing to do with the regulations on the NWR's but still hunters have plenty of public land to hunt in eastern NC. In matter of fact the RRNWR and Roanoke River Wetlands took a number of old, large dog clubs out of NE NC. Some of the small tracts of game here are "no dog hunting for deer" and are surrounded by dog clubs. Retrieve a hound off it with a firearm in the vehicle and that's a sure ticket, some say you can't even retrieve a hound on them period.

Can't help but think some of this came out of the meetings on gamelands the last few weeks.

Don't know much about the others you mentioned, but Holly Shelter does not limit dog hunting.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
This is a summary from the proposals for the 2014-2015 public hearings, as far as I know it was not accepted. I was thinking it was for some reason.

G4. Holly Shelter to 6 day a week game land and allow dog hunting for deer and bear Monday's, Wednesday and Saturday.

The entire proposal can be found here: http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/Regs/Documents/2014-15-PublicHearingBooklet.pdf

However, no deer/bear dog hunting is allowed on the Pender4/Greentree tracts of the Holly Shelter Gamelands.

While I'm at it the Sandhills GL is just more restrictive on firearms (dog hunting and still) than most game lands, but does allow still hunting with a bow or muzzle loader for extended seasons.

Last edited:

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Oh, I didn't realize you were talking about the new restrictions. That makes more sense. Either way, dog hunters aren't losing anything in the Shelter. It's a 3-day per week area already. They'd just be adding still hunt days, not taking away dog days. I've never considered Pender4 and Greentree as part of Holly Shelter.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
The proposal should not effect bear dogs.

The proposal will affect bear and deer hunting with dogs. Prohibiting both in the zones. It is in the print of the announcement.

Last edited:

Turkeycomander

If dog hunting is legal the state.....the Feds can not restrict dog hunting on any Federal owned land that receives money of any kind from the Federal Government for game management or habitat improvement.

Because of this law http://nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=103

I have a turkey dog...the first year they became legal in Kentucky I went. The spot I intended to hunt was a Federal Duck Refuge. The manager informed me that they didn't allow turkey dogs on the Federal Refuge....at that I replied turkey dogs are legal in the state of Kentucky...this refuge is in Kentucky and the Pittman Robertson Act says that you can't be more restrictive than the state when writing game laws. I'm hunting...if you value your job I wouldn't ticket me or try and stop me. I went hunting and killed the first fall turkey in Kentucky in modern times with a turkey dog.

I was told the same thing at Fort Campbell Kentucky and my reply was the same to them....today it's in their hunting guide.