question on planting corn........

Buckshot1

Twelve Pointer
This might be a silly question to some folks but .......for you farmers and maybe some others that have tried it.....can I plant deer corn out of a sack in a food plot and expect it to produce some, any, or next to none as far as corn on the cobb that I could leave standing in some food plots. I ask because it is very expensive to buy the round up ready variety by the 50-lb sack that I'll never use it all and I've yet to find it where I can buy it by the pound. So any insight would be greatly appreciated. Will it grow, germinate and produce corn?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It will germinate. The issue as far as producing as with any crop will be soil PH and how well it will be able to uptake nutrients, and how many weeds you have competing with it for nutrients.

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
In my experience, the price of the seed is not a very large portion of the investment needed to make a decent corn crop. Wait until you get the fertilizer bill!

Last edited:

Rabbithunternc

why buy deer corn to plant, when you can get conservation seeds cheap

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you are a NWTF member you can get RR corn very reasonable. Corn takes lots of prep work, water and fertilizer to make a crop. Even if all thigs are "perfect" it's still a coin toss if you'll make it through hail, wind, coons and deer. Other crops have a better draw and last much longer as an attractant.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
Yes, you can plant it. It doesn't take a lot, I think I used about 8 lbs of seed to plant a little less than an acre this weekend. I buy seeds from hancockseed.com. Trying some dwarf corn this year so I don't know what to expect! If you aren't buying round up ready seed, it's not really that expensive. Atrazine or 2-4D & Dicamba (Trimec) that you can buy at Lowes is just as effective to control the weeds if you need herbicide.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Corn plots need to be large just like soybean plots because the coons will ruin a 1/4 to 1/2 acre plot. Hrcarver is right the fertilizer bill is going to be expensive.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I assume you are speaking of taking deer bait corn and planting it. Ok, here's the deal. Yes, it will germinate and grow, but, you WILL NOT get the same corn or yield off what you planted as what you planted. Most all corn now days is a hybrid. You may even not get any ears from what you planted, or very little yield at all. However (if I remember my crop science correctly), if you do get a yield, then those seed will be true to type from then on.

Buckshot1

Twelve Pointer
For the record it came up very well, crows are wearing it out though. Good experiment and I'm not out of anything