haven't we had nice weather at the right time for poult survival

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Had 2 hens and over a dozen poults cross the road this morning on the way to work. Had to stop the car to let them all cross. The poults were getting rather large, so looks like they will make it just fine. Population around here (Lake Norman area) has exploded in the last 5 years...

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Saw a couple of hens with @ 6 large poults. Also saw three lone hens. So far my poult:hen ratio is not good.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
got two calls saturday morning one from my wife near beaufort and one from sil in the piedmont both seeing one hen and three poults.

then yesterday on the side of 70 there was a gang of hens with alot of poults between goldsboro and kinston.

so good to see and hear they are doing well this year.

Last edited:

Randy

Ten Pointer
I saw a hen with 6 or 7 poults on the way to church services yesterday morning. They looked to be only about half grown, which I thought was pretty small for this time of year.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
yet another hen with "at least three" sighting.
my mom had to come to a dead stop to avoid running them over. poults run back where they had came from. hen waited and then ran after them. lucky for them she did not wipe them all out.

gobbler

Eight Pointer
Based on the size of the poults this is one of the latest hatches I have ever saw. Some years I have seen poults the last week of turkey season.

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
Catching some hens on my trail cameras but no poults, haven't seen the first poult yet on any of my cameras

gamehunter

Old Mossy Horns
seen 3 hens with lots of poults and another hen a week later with about 6. one of the three hens had a beard, the first i ever seen ftf

Last edited:

foolish

Six Pointer
When I checked my cameras today one had poults that looked 3/4 grown and another had some that looked less than halfway.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Seen 3 hens aand 9 poults with a peacock a pea hen and 5 young ones this morning! The pea cocks acted just like the turkeys ,wish I had a camera.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I ended with just over a 2 poult per hen ratio. My cameras say different but I only record what I see with my eyes.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
to the top in connection with the just released poult survey.

not that it matters. :)

but it sure would be something if we ever did have a big hatch.