Sleep apnea

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
1Shot Ambien is supposed to help you stay asleep if you wake often. I tried it and once I was asleep it was ok but I can never fall asleep. Also from my accident if I inhale deeply my left nostril flattens out completely. If I try to sleep on my left side which is the only side I can fall asleep on I can't breathe through my nose at all. I don't snore that I know of and I am not overweight. I am seeing an ENT soon to get the nostril looked at and am fearing the drill.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I also know of someone who died from sleep apnea so it can be deadly serious.

I did the test also but my problem wasn't sleep apnea it was my legs. From what they told me my legs "wanted to keep running" all the time and was not waking me 100% but enough to disturb my rest at least 100 times an hour. They wound up prescribing a muscle relaxant and another pill. Not sure either helps much. I average sleeping about 4 -5 hours max per night and have been like that for 30 years or longer.

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have been using a Bi-Pap machine for about 15 years. I can't go anywhere without my machine. I also have severe sleep apnea and its pretty common. The worse thing is getting used to wearing the mask. I wear one across my nose only. They have full face masks and all. It took me two weeks before I could even sleep even wearing my mask. And after 15 years I still ain't really got used to the mask. It's a very serious condition and being tested for sleep apnea could save your life.

I had a full blown test done at Summit Sleep Clinic in Winston Salem. They hooked me up with what looked like a hundred different leads. Needless to say I couldn't sleep with all that stuff on, so they came in and gave me a Ambien. That was my first time taking one and it put me out like a light. I can't remember now how many times I quit breathing but the doctor shared the results with me. He went over the test with me. He gave me a prescription and I went to Advanced Home Care (which was nearby) and got a machine that I rented for 180.00 plus a month. (Insurance started out paying it)

My insurance was hit and miss, I would get several bills a year where the insurance wouldn't pay. I finally had enough after me and the insurance paying over $3.000 for my first machine. I finally got them to fax me a paid in full for it. So, the along came Apria Health Care with a replacement machine (the want you to change every two years).

Same old junk paid on it forever and they would send me a bill for $800 plus every few months. I finally ignored the bills and one day I got a phone call from my insurance company, Blue Cross. They wanted me to send in the SD card in my machine. (I guess they wanted to verify that I do use it). Blue Cross paid the outstanding bills on it, and told Apria that was all they would pay. Funny, I never got another bill from Apria. My point, watch those companies they are all in it to rip you off. I use an online CPAP supply company now, and I buy my masks for $50 each vs $800 from Apria.

I do know if you can buy a used machine on Craigslist, you can have this medical supply company in High Point (the name slips my mind right now). They will set it for your prescription strength, sanitize it and all. Then you don't have to deal with Advance Home Care or Apria. My two cents worth

Last edited:

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
For the folks that have sleep apnea....does it coincide with having an above average BMI?

Not always, but sometimes it does make a difference.

I know a fellow who was diagnosed with sleep apnea when he was 30 years old. He weighs 128 pounds, and could not tolerate the mask. He even tried sewing a tennis ball in the shirt of his pajamas so he wouldn't roll over on his back. He has sleep apnea bad and still can't use the machine.

My daughter's neighbor had sleep apnea really bad also, he wouldn't use his machine and he passed away one night. He was about 38 the best I remember. It can kill you.

Southside

Ten Pointer
What is this thing ya'll call sleep??? I only sleep about 3-4 hours a night these days. Go to bed at 10pm and wide awake at 1am and I am dragging butt tired all the time it seems like, but still cannot get more than 4 hours sleep a night. I have no snoring problems or have trouble going to sleep, it is the staying asleep that I have trouble with.
Ambient. It would be worth a try.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Larry R,
I had restless leg for years and then had a clot show up in my foot. I went to the vein doctor and he said my inner thigh/calf vein ( sapphorous sp?) was 2mm and over .5mm and they take care of it. After he was done my restless leg went away completely. It was a miracle. I now have twitchy legs sometimes but form spasms do to all the leg trauma. I don't wish restless leg in anyone and it is miserable especially on really long rides. I would talk to the vein doc if I where you.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Ambient. It would be worth a try.

Please no!!! I do NOT want to see this website with Spoon on Ambien! When he just barely gets into his ripple, He thinks his favorite sports teams or drivers are unbeatable lol.

My sleep study DR told me believe it or not that thin females are the most common sleep apnea victims

GrizzlyBear

Old Mossy Horns
I also know of someone who died from sleep apnea so it can be deadly serious.

I did the test also but my problem wasn't sleep apnea it was my legs. From what they told me my legs "wanted to keep running" all the time and was not waking me 100% but enough to disturb my rest at least 100 times an hour. They wound up prescribing a muscle relaxant and another pill. Not sure either helps much. I average sleeping about 4 -5 hours max per night and have been like that for 30 years or longer.

Larry. You have restless legs. They have a meds for that and I don't think they are muscle relaxers. Go back to your doc and discuss rls.

manybeards

Ten Pointer
PM Gobbler Addict. He can give you some perspective. He and I have hunted out of state many times,and he takes his CPAP with him. Never any problems.....

treein dixie

Twelve Pointer
I had a friend get a machine and he lost 45 pounds right off the bat using the machine. He then lost another 25 pounds and he now says he hasn't used the machine in months. Wondering if you just loose weight that you could do without the machine. Is it something about heavier people their neck being enlarged chest heavier that causes sleep issue? Is the machine a sales pitch?

GrizzlyBear

Old Mossy Horns
Well I'm done with the testing. Went to sleep ok about 10 pm or so. Woke up at 100 am with the mask feeling like it was going to blow my face off. The tech said the pressure wasn't very high. Had bad gas pains so it took a long while to go back to sleep plus the discomfort of the mask. I couldn't open my mouth at all as the pressure would blow my cheeks into balloons. Finally fell back asleep and the tech woke me at 6 am. Slept poorly but can't say if it was because of the mask and cords or what. Expect to hear back from the dr this week for the results. I also have a second opinion scheduled with an ENT.

udy3ura5.jpg

uny9yhaq.jpg

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Dang no wonder you didn't sleep well,with that bundle of wires and equipment...that alone would keep me up.

NWNCmike

Eight Pointer
I've been using a C-Pap for about 13 years. The machine is great. It saved my life. I would wake up strangling and gasping for breath. it can cause heart attacks. I had it so bad I began to dread going to bed at night because I knew what was coming. So I did the study and they told me about how many times I stopped breathing etc., that's pretty much standard. I'm on my second machine. It is better than the old style. The weakness is the mask. I tried the mask that fits over the mouth and nose. I had the same problem with it blowing my mouth open when I relaxed. So now I use one that just covers my nose. The more minimal the mask the better for me.

Now my only problem is the water tank on the C-Pap runs out of water after 4 hours or so. My machine is cranked up high so I think this is why it uses up the water. I also bought some foam and cut small blocks to fit under the straps that go across my cheeks, that helps with the comfort and doesn't leave marks on my face in the morning.
Your provider of the equipment probably has several masks to select from.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
I had a friend get a machine and he lost 45 pounds right off the bat using the machine. He then lost another 25 pounds and he now says he hasn't used the machine in months. Wondering if you just loose weight that you could do without the machine. Is it something about heavier people their neck being enlarged chest heavier that causes sleep issue? Is the machine a sales pitch?

Being overweight has something to do with it.

NWNCmike

Eight Pointer
What is this thing ya'll call sleep??? I only sleep about 3-4 hours a night these days. Go to bed at 10pm and wide awake at 1am and I am dragging butt tired all the time it seems like, but still cannot get more than 4 hours sleep a night. I have no snoring problems or have trouble going to sleep, it is the staying asleep that I have trouble with.

Do you drink alcohol in the evening?
What you describe happens to a lot of drinkers.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
I am not a big drinker at all. I may have 2-3 beers a month, if that. A six pack will last me several months, unless I am cooking a stew, shrimp, a low country boil, etc., then I will go though several beers (as in using beer in the stews or boils).

gobblr addict

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Griz...I have had it for 12 years and been through 3 machines...Can't live life without one...Just bought me a miny generator so I can once again go camping on a river and sleep with a CPAP....I had severe too....We have four guys at our hunt club who all bring their's up and use it regularly! Get one you will never be without one again! gobblr addict

bellabarrie

Eight Pointer
I have to go back for a titration study next week. I never even knew I had apnea but kept having issues with my lungs. We will see if this makes me feel better.

GrizzlyBear

Old Mossy Horns
I got my cpap machine today. What a nightmare this process has been. Would recommend staying away from unc neurology for diagnosis and sleep study. But, I got a variable pressure machine. They program limits in and mine are set to operate between 4 and 11 cm water pressure. It has a heater and a humidifier. I have a nose mask, not the full face mask. We'll see how the weekend goes. Should be a good test. I'm totally exhausted from the week.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
The ENT told me I had a bend in my septum I think and some swollen glands and would need surgery. Mostly form the accident. He looked at the migraines and agreed it was most likely Vestibular but no idea why it is happening or why the nerve is not working. He did say it is most likely NOT a concussion cause though. I have to go in next week for an 8 hour test with the Neuro Psych to see what areas I am lacking in. I was a bit disappointed after going to other Neurologists. I thought UNC would have better technology or diagnosis but so far no. He had little to add and did not have an opinion on the coated lenses for the visual part. At least he didn't push a CPap on me. I do remember feeling better in the hospital from the oxygen when I was sleeping but it could have been all the drugs they where pumping through me. Hope your weekend goes well and you sleep well.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
After 85 comments I'm getting really sleepy. Almost in a comatose state. I think I may have found a cure for sleep apnea.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Im anxious to see what GB posts in a couple of weeks. The first couple of nights I remember it was my wife who had trouble, not me. She kept waking me up telling me she "heard something". Finally, she got used to it, by then, I was getting the first "sound" sleep probably since I was a youngin.

GrizzlyBear

Old Mossy Horns
Im anxious to see what GB posts in a couple of weeks. The first couple of nights I remember it was my wife who had trouble, not me. She kept waking me up telling me she "heard something". Finally, she got used to it, by then, I was getting the first "sound" sleep probably since I was a youngin.

Mine is quiet

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I sleep like a little kid with my CPAP. Before it was a nightmare trying to get some sleep when I would be up every hour on the hour having to get up and take a leak. Always flipping and flopping, wife waking me up saying "you quit breathing".

The first maching the people sent me I declined. Put it on an it blew my lips apart, air pressure was to high. So two days later they brought me one that it and I could get our breathing down pat together. Now it is a breeze. I sit on the bed, put on my mask, an breath a few minutes with the machine while I set the alarm clock and I'm set for the night.

It took me a few weeks to get use to mine, I'd wake up fighting that thing, claustrophobia sets in. I have a full face mask, makes it easy if I have a head cold and can't breath thru my nose.

Good luck with your unit.