Best tomatoes for BLTs?

BigJoshBagotto

I grew some CPs last year and every one of them had the same cracking seen in the picture above. I was wondering if the watering schedule was causing that (watered in the morning, bone dry by evening). Seeing some other at the farmers market cracked and the picture above, it looks like I'm not the only one with this issue. Anyone know how to reduce the cracking? Those tomatoes are awesome and I hate even wasting the top skin.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I grew some CPs last year and every one of them had the same cracking seen in the picture above. I was wondering if the watering schedule was causing that (watered in the morning, bone dry by evening). Seeing some other at the farmers market cracked and the picture above, it looks like I'm not the only one with this issue. Anyone know how to reduce the cracking? Those tomatoes are awesome and I hate even wasting the top skin.

The uneven moisture in your soil could be one reason. You could try mulching your plants so the soil moisture stays relatively constant.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns

Don't water them every day. I have grown tomatoes for many decades but I still get some to crack open even with mulching. Depends a lot on the variety of tomato some crack open more than others that has been my experience with them. German Johnson are bad for cracking, Parks whoppers, not so much ...

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Its been my experience that heirloom tomatoes are just more prone to cracking then the modern hybred types. My guess is that heirlooms tend to be thinner-skinned then the hybreds, and will split quicker for that reason.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk