Re: Round balls - anybody still use them

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
LOL! I guess that could be an advantage....if one tries to get into the stand with ya.....:eek:

You never know... but the main reason I shoot XTP'S in that Remington is the fact that it straight up likes em. There really is no other visible advantage. A roundball kills em just as dead. I can't see the difference in Muzzle Energy, it isn't a whole lot, a couple hundred ft lbs or so.

Just boils down to my pickiness in the end.

I'm not knocking roundballs, just not my preference at the moment. In a different gun, roundballs just might be my choice.

GrizzlyBear

Old Mossy Horns
You never know... but the main reason I shoot XTP'S in that Remington is the fact that it straight up likes em. There really is no other visible advantage. A roundball kills em just as dead. I can't see the difference in Muzzle Energy, it isn't a whole lot, a couple hundred ft lbs or so.

Just boils down to my pickiness in the end.

I'm not knocking roundballs, just not my preference at the moment. In a different gun, roundballs just might be my choice.

Can't fault your logic or preference.

I like roundballs just because I *can* hunt them and some folks think they can't kill. So basically I just use them to be ornery. Lol

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
I shoot a prb in my tc renegade. Roundball hooked me up with the size and thickness of the pillow ticking. As well as wonder wads. They work great.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I shoot a prb in my tc renegade. Roundball hooked me up with the size and thickness of the pillow ticking. As well as wonder wads. They work great.

Roundball has probably forgotten more specs/loads for TC guns than TC has ever come up with. He's an absolute guru on anything TC...and yeah, he turned me on to WonderWads too. Now I use them on everything black powder.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I order all muzzleloader supplies online at various places but Oxyoke Wonderwads, I'd just order them from "Track of The Wolf".
Google will bring the site right up.

BTW, what caliber are you looking for...I think I've got a lot more than I'll use in a couple calibers.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You could also sharpen up a piece of 1/2"ID pipe and sacrifice an old felt hat like I did....poor people got poor ways. :cool: