Soybean question

dirtburn

Four Pointer
As I have stated in my other thread I planted a soybean and iron clad pea mix this year for the first time and I am happy with the results, good growth (12" - 36" tall) and the deer seem to like them. My question is how long should I expect them to be productive, I understand they die out at the end of summer so what should I be planning on sowing to get through the rest of the year? I have always has good results with a perennial clover but I plan on sowing beans again next year so what would you recommend I plant until then? Thanks.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Deer will hit the vines until they turn yellow, then brown...This will happen mid-October until mid-November, depending upon your area getting a hard frost...After that they will hit the beans which hit the ground as the pods open up...You can also spread corn with an hand seeder during this time to bring in more deer...

You could plant wheat, rye, etc, but to do so you need to till the field...I would consider leaving it alone to give them some cover and let them keep eating the beans as they fall to the ground...

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You can do winter rye in peas/beans without tilling. Just broadcast 120-150 lb per acre over the top when the leaves turn yellow and start dropping this fall. Wheat or oats need more prep but rye is pretty easy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

dirtburn

Four Pointer
Thanks. That's what I had read somewhere but wasn't sure, any brand seed known for better results? Does rye offer benefits other than cover?

Last edited:

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It is decent forage. Not as preferred as oats or wheat but they like it. Make sure you get the kind grown for grain(cereal, winter), not the more common grass. Variety doesn't matter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk