What makes you happy?

Big Six

Eight Pointer
I jump under the hood of a car or truck with my boys. Working on cars have become quite the hobby of ours...

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
I don't want to sound like a psychiatrist or a know it all, so please understand that what I am saying is what I feel about happiness.

Happiness is a state of mind. It is learning to accept what has been dealt, coming to peace with it and moving on. Nothing can make you happy. There are several things like others have mentioned that can mask the pain, but you are grieving. Give yourself permission to grieve and time to grieve. Do not fill your time with things and doing stuff, because when you lay down at night and try to close your eyes, the pain comes back. You cannot change the past and you cannot control the future. Live for right now. There is nothing wrong with what anybody has mentioned, I myself do a lot of tinkering with a lot of different things, but learning to be happy and at peace when I am idle, has been and continues to be something that I have to work towards, DAILY! It is not easy, in fact it is hard work, but it can be achieved. When you are working toward inner peace, you will begin to appreciate life and its challenges in a completely different way than you ever have. You can do this, you have a huge support network here. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Phil

Windrunner

Twelve Pointer
Thanks for your input Phil. I agree with most of what you're saying. It's going to be a long process and I know that.

But there's nothing wrong with taking a break from it all every once in a while and just go do something that would be enjoyable. The thing is, I've put aside doing things for myself for so long, I couldn't really think of anything that would put a quick smile on my face thats why I made this thread.

I think I will try to hit the range this weekend. It's been a long time and I need the practice and there's nothing more therapeutic than slinging lead. Also one of the guys who works the range always makes it a point to comment on a ladys markmanship and though I know he'd still be positive even if i didnt hit the silhouette, a well-meant compliment is always nice. I also might try to find a dance floor, I don't know if I'm any good but I do like to groove, even if I'm dancing by myself. Also i might try the animal shelter as was suggested.

I've been reading this true story from WWII about this bombardier who survived a plane crash, being on a raft with little supplies for 47 days during which he was attacked by sharks and shot at by the Japanese, only to float to a Japanese controlled island where he was taken prisoner. One part really struck a nerve; he had just fought off a bunch of sharks and the next day he was marveling at the beauty of the calm sea and clear sky.

stingray

banjo, couldn't agree more.

cant find peace if you're not at peace,(with yourself) can't give love unless ya' love yourself. respect, dignity, loyalty.. all of 'em. ya can't give whatcha aint got...
Great read is called "seat of the soul" by Gary Zukoff. turned my life around 15 years ago..

on a funnier not what makes me happy? .. Smell of rubber burnin' and the sound of a woman screamin' .. nuff said

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
My dogs will turn my mood around 99% of the time if I am down. Cooking involved recipes also is a great help.

Got to agree with the dogs comment. No matter how crappy the day they are always glad to see you and roll around the yard with. Especially puppies or young ones!

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
What makes me happy?

"To crush my enemies...to see them driven before me...and hear the lamentations of the women."

Slong

Four Pointer
I enjoy experiencing life. The rush of riding single track on my mtn bike, playing with my son, sitting on the deck at night and listening to crickets, and laughing with my family. I can go on, but god has given us so much in the most simple ways we just have to listen to our hearts.
And I have to agree banjo. Seems like sound advice.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for your input Phil. I agree with most of what you're saying. It's going to be a long process and I know that.

But there's nothing wrong with taking a break from it all every once in a while and just go do something that would be enjoyable. The thing is, I've put aside doing things for myself for so long, I couldn't really think of anything that would put a quick smile on my face thats why I made this thread.

I think I will try to hit the range this weekend. It's been a long time and I need the practice and there's nothing more therapeutic than slinging lead. Also one of the guys who works the range always makes it a point to comment on a ladys markmanship and though I know he'd still be positive even if i didnt hit the silhouette, a well-meant compliment is always nice. I also might try to find a dance floor, I don't know if I'm any good but I do like to groove, even if I'm dancing by myself. Also i might try the animal shelter as was suggested.

I've been reading this true story from WWII about this bombardier who survived a plane crash, being on a raft with little supplies for 47 days during which he was attacked by sharks and shot at by the Japanese, only to float to a Japanese controlled island where he was taken prisoner. One part really struck a nerve; he had just fought off a bunch of sharks and the next day he was marveling at the beauty of the calm sea and clear sky.

Taking a break from everything is healthy. We all need to escape reality from time to time and blow off some steam. Lobbing lead across the firing range is great! Dancing won't work for me, white men can't dance!But when I try, it is always good for a laugh! 😄. I love to get out in the woods and explore, float down a river or go camping.

The metaphor about fighting off sharks one day and finding serenity in the beauty of the day the next is so true to life.

You've got this Noel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buckshot1

Twelve Pointer
I love being with and around family. But my happy place us the hunt camp, which is still a work in progress. I can get on my tractor and ride it all day mowing the rds, plowing a plot, or just going for walk in the woods.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have an idea. When you blast lead, save your brass to bring next time you're down. I'll open the door for you to the world of re-loading. You may just become happy with using and taking game animals with rounds that you "rolled" yourself. WARNING! Re-loading is habit forming and not recommended for everyone.