What's the scariest most dangerous situation,

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Last year Elk Hunting had a cougar sneak within 15 feet of me in a early morning hunt. Wont forget that one for a while.It had beautiful eyes, That how close he was.

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I guess it would be the night I was on patrol at the Sheriff's office and saw a house on fire, with the flames coming through the roof. I called it in ran up to the front door, kicked it in and found a room to my left with big double doors that were locked. I went through the doors with my shoulder and it was a bedroom. There was an elderly lady in the bed and I grabbed her, yelling to her the house was on fire. She was a bigger lady but I was a young strong man back then. I carried/dragged her out the front door as the ceiling in the back room was falling in.

About that time the volunteer firemen were arriving, and one helped her on over to an ambulance. I slumped over my car, I was worn out plus I had inhaled some smoke. Thank the Lord she was the only one in the house, it would have been to late for anyone else. Her family came up, and went on to the hospital to check her out.

The next day, the newspaper came out, big bold headlines, "Hasty Fireman rescues woman from burning house". That didn't bother me much, but the woman's son came to my office the next day did. He said his momma claimed someone broke in her house and that was why it caught on fire. I told him I kicked the front door in, then busted the double doors open to her bedroom in, and she was probably just mixed up.

He was okay with that, but to this day he never said thank you. I suspect there are not many people who would thank anyone who saved their mom's life. But during the whole thing I was never scared, it was something that had to be done.

Last edited:

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There was another time when I was on the job. Doing soil survey work, we get on a lot of folks land, and sometimes we either don't know who owns it, or can't get up with them, so we just go ahead with what we have to do, and most of the time, the landowner is none the wiser that anybody has been on their property. I was working on the Richmond Co./Montgomery County line near the community of Exway. I'd stopped at a house and asked told this lady where I needed to go, and if I could get permission. She said "yes", but as I was soon to find out, she must have misunderstood WHERE I was talking about. So, thinking I had permission, I crawled under this pasture fence and went on about my business. I'd pretty much finished and was walking back out when the guy appear, and started walking towards me. As he got closer, I noticed he had a BIG hawg leg pistol strapped to his side. When we got even closer to each other, he stops, pulls out a camera and takes my picture.

Then he says "WHAT ARE YOU DOING ON MY LAND!!" I started to explain, and tired to tell him about the lady giving me permission, but it QUICKLY became apparent that he was NOT interested in why I was there, despite his question. I'd run across plenty of landowners while I was on their land without permission, but after explaining who I was and what I was doing, they were perfectly ok with me. Something about this guy was NOT right, and he un-nerved me big time! I apologized profusely and started backing toward the pasture fence and my truck, all the while this guy giving me a wild-eyed look and telling me to LEAVE!

Well, I got in my truck and LEFT! I drove up to the crossroads of Exway where there was a little store. I went in, bought a drink and asked the folks in the store and told them about my encounter with this guy.
Well, the lady's reply was, "Good LORD, you were lucky!" That man is CRAZY! He killed his dad some years ago, and buried him in one of the pastures somewhere, but nobody knows where!" "Don't you come back up here without a deputy from the sheriff's department!"

Some years later, after I'd moved on to work in Montgomery county, word came back that the authorities had found his mom stuffed in a freezer. She'd been collecting social security when she died, and he'd put her in the freezer instead of having a funeral and burying her, so he could continue to collect her social security.

Last edited:

Jaybird

Twelve Pointer
Mine is a water story too. I was training for a hundred mile kayak race and left Morehead early one morning headed for Cedar Island via Neuse River. About 35 miles into the the trip I was between Point of Marsh and the end of Cedar Island about 2 or 3 miles from land when a thunderstorm blew in.

Waves picked up to well overhead and the lightening was close enough you could hear the sizzle of electricity and I was the tallest thing around for 5 miles.

I was somewhat fortunate that there a guy fishing in Long Bay that had seen me and was keeping an eye out. I saw him and started waving a paddle
and he came to me and got me on board. Nothing we could do but make a run for it but we were a whole lot faster in an 18 ft center console than I was in an 18 ft kayak. Thanked him profusely as there is a good chance he saved my life. I've been leery of being that far off shore in a kayak since then.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I missed my whole 6 th grade year in school with a unknown infection that was eating my pelvis and hip joint. 5 months in the hospital with a long needle drilled into my hip joint not knowing if I would walk again, that was as scary as I want to get . It turned out to be osteomylitis, which was just getting diagnosed in the early70's.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I grew up in Tacoma, WA, after fighting a philipino kid at recess in elementary school it turned out he was a "blood" gang member. Although nothing happened I got word another older gang member who I'd heard of before was gonna kill me. I did see him waiting for me on my walk home and I found that scary. My mom had no clue about the seriousness of the threats and put them off. Later that guy was arrested on gun charges.

Last edited:

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I was deer hunting about 7 or 8 years ago, standing on the side of the road talking to another guy that was hunting with us. Not sure how far apart we were but we were close, whatever the normal distance of a conversation would be. I look down the road and see a buck crossing the road and then all of a sudden I hear the whistling and signing of buck shot and the man standing beside me screaming bloody murder. He had been hit. How I managed to walk away from that with only dirty underwear I'll never know. I could have reached out and touched this guy while we were talking and none of the buckshot pellets hit me. He did recover and thankfully had no long last injuries from it.

hawkman

Wow, I guess I have led a sheltered life, or been really lucky. I can't think of anything even worth sharing.

buffleheadnc2

Mine was in 2003 I believe it was. Started with a fellow kidnapping his girlfriend ended in a pursuit of 135 plus mph with a sudden down pour thrown in the mix. At the end envolved a wreck with me and the suspect. Then he came out gun in hand I released the k-9 who proceeded to go to work on him at which point he turned the gun on me and I wass scared to death as I was back pedaling drawing my gun and opened fire ending the situation. Bad times but I am still here took awhile to get over that one not at all easy taking someone's life and the moonths and even years after are just as bad even though it may have been necessary.

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My memory is coming back now, as a deputy I went to a domestic dispute one time. The husband was out in the yard raising cain. He saw me, got the bumper jack out( this was when the old stye bumper jack was common) He drew the jack back and came toward me. I drew my gun and was back pedaling as fast as I could. I back up for two or three trailer (it was a trailer park) front yards. I just knew I was going to have to kill that guy. His wife came out, ran up to him from behind and tackled him. That was all I needed to get to him and handcuff him. I was a "little" scared that time.

firemedic54

Ten Pointer
June 29th, 2010 myself and 2 other guys were fishing of the coast of ft. Macon. A rouge wave capsized the boat we were in, none of us were wearing life jackets. I made my peace and had accepted what was coming. Roughly 45 minutes to an hour in the water before we were spotted by another boat. I have been in EMS and a firefighter for 20 years and nothing comes close to that day.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I have not led an exciting life like the rest of you. The only thing I can think of is when I was hospitalized with meningitis.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I would have to sit at my desktop for a while to type the first two,

1. but when I was a teenager a Sheriff Deputy had a SERIOUS problem with something in my hand and how I was holding it. For about 3 seconds, myself and my two friends standing next to me (until they ran away plugging their ears) thought I was going to be shot in the chest.

2. The second involved a LARGE dog in CLOSE proximity to myself, and an unknown amount of both dog chain and human speed lol.

3. Political That's all I'll say about that.

firefightertrey

Eight Pointer
It was 4 years ago in June. 3 of us was fishing about a mile offshore in Morehead City. Our boat capsized, we all was thrown out. We had to swim back to the upside-down boat an hang on until we was seen by another boat. We had to hang on for about 1 hour until we was seen. That was the longest hour ever. Once the boat seen us they called the coast guard an they came an got us.

BuzzCut

Ten Pointer
On a night parachute jump at Ft. Benning, GA, mass tactical jump (static line at 800 feet) with full equipment out of a C-130. You are supposed to jump up & out when exiting a C-130. I lost my balance as I got to the door and fell out. When the parachute opened, I was hanging upside down, with my feet hanging in the parachute lines. I didn't know what else to do but kick my legs around and they came free and I swung down and was hanging upright under the canopy.

I did normal procedures from that point, lowered the rucksack on the 18-foot line before doing a Parachute landing Fall, etc. Once on the ground, I noticed things were a little blurry, so I reached my right hand up to my face and my glasses with sports band were gone...when I lowered my hand I saw a cut on my right wrist where my watch used to be.

The risers, the big straps that come off the shoulders and that all of the parachute lines attach to, were twisted twice, meaning I rotated twice through the risers as my 'chute was deploying, with my feet getting stuck in the lines as the 'chute filled with air and the lines tightened. Later, as I was checked out, there were bruises across the back of both legs the same width of the risers, and another bruise, same width on my back.

It is a miracle I did not become fully entangled in the canopy of the parachute as it was deploying and I would just have burned in from 800 feet.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
In the fall of 2007 my wife and I were fishing for Seatrout over in a creek near Bear Island. We decided to move to another area of the creek and as the boat came on plane I lost control of the tiller and we got throw out into the 55 degree water. The boat kept going at an idle towards Bear Inlet as we struggled to stay afloat in our winter clothing . That day it was windy and cold with no one else out on the water but us. As we swam and dog paddled the boat make a U turn and came idling back towards us but not close enough for me to reach it. I watched as the boat took a left turn and beached itself on the side of the creek we were headed for. After some tense moments just knowing that we both were going to drown we made it to shore where the boat was beached with the motor still running. We were so worn out we could not even stand up. I finally got up after a few moments and walked very slowly over to the boat and shut the motor down. My wife was okay but we were getting hypothermia by this time . We finally got into the boat and made it back to shell rock landing to see no other vehicles with boat trailers in the parking lot. We came close to drowning but the good Lord just wasn't ready for us quite yet. If the boat had beached itself on the other side of the creek we would have died from exposure, we could not have swan to it the creek was way too wide for that with the cold water and temperatures. A C-130 aircraft flew right over us as we were struggling to get out of the creek and I often wondered if they saw us and commented on how foolish we were to be swimming on such a cold and windy day.

I have thanked the Lord many times for sparing us that day, but neither of us were really scared as we struggled to save ourselves from the incident. In fact a peaceful calm came over me during the whole ordeal. I swallowed a bunch of salt water that morning trying to keep my head up high enough to breathe...

Last edited:

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Driving along appropriately at 55 on a winding two-lane highway. An oncoming pickup truck simply drifted over into my lane at the last second for a direct head-on. I whipped the wheel to the right and cleaned the right ditch out, over-corrected and cleaned out the opposite ditch, over-corrected and cleaned the right ditch out again, over-corrected and only got two wheels into the left ditch again. Finally came to a stop in one piece and still on four wheels. I went back a few days later to look at the skid marks and couldn't believe them.

firefightertrey

Eight Pointer
June 29th, 2010 myself and 2 other guys were fishing of the coast of ft. Macon. A rouge wave capsized the boat we were in, none of us were wearing life jackets. I made my peace and had accepted what was coming. Roughly 45 minutes to an hour in the water before we were spotted by another boat. I have been in EMS and a firefighter for 20 years and nothing comes close to that day.

I did see that you put it . This is the same boat I was talking about.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
My dad and I, along with a guide and two packers were in Alaska hiking up an old glacier bed to our spike camp for dahl sheep hunting. We were walking through brush up to our waist. About 75 yards in front of us, a calf moose burst out of the brush into a clearing, running straight at us. Bawling like mad. Behind the moose came the biggest damn brown bear I've ever seen. The fur around his neck was puffed out and he was getting after that moose. He took about two or three strides, caught the moose and broke its neck all in one motion.

He and the moose ended up about 30 yards away from us before we could even react. We all backed away yelling at him. The guide and my dad shouldered their rifles, but I had just laid mine down to adjust my pack when the moose appeared. Dad held his rifle with his right arm and grabbed my collar with his left and *dragged* me back another 20-30 yards.

The bear stood on that moose and growled at us...snapped his teeth and woofed three or four times. He decided we weren't much of a threat and picked up the moose calf (approx 250-300 lbs) and *ran* directly away from us for about 100 yards, stood up and looked at us to see if we were going to follow him.

Unfortunately for us, we *did* have to follow him because that was the only way into the camp and we were still a mile or two away from it. So we "rested" for about 30-40 min and then slowly started to pick our way through the brush making as much noise as possible. We never saw that bear or moose again...but we did see five or six OTHER bears around 500-600 yards away walking down the ridges on each side of glacier bed.

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
Mine seem pretty tame compared to others on here....

First one was when I was 17 and driving too fast in the rain. I hydroplaned and slid sideways under the back of an 18wheeler that was parked on the side of hwy158. Seemed like I would never stop sliding in slow motion. I didn't have a scratch on me. The driver of the truck drove off as I was climbing out of the car. I guess his logbook must have been off or something. 😳

The other scary event was a few years ago when about 20 of us got caught in a thunderstorm while tubing down the Dan River. We were about 1/2 way through a 3hr float when the storm started. Lightening all over us and you couldn't see because the rain was so hard. We got all the kids together and huddled up under a cut in the bank. Only lasted about 20 mins but it seemed like hours.

Sent from wherever I was at the time...

gameland

Twelve Pointer
When I was a teenager and had to tell my girlfriends dad that she was pregnant! That was over twenty years ago and we've been married for 16 years so I survived.

Last edited:

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
I once had to pull my sidearm to defend myself and a roommate. He and a carload of boys had followed my roommate and a few ladies home from the downtown clubs one night and was intent on fighting. I had been inside studying when I got the call from my roommate that trouble was following him home. I stepped outside in time to see the aggressors piling out of their car and start toward us. The ladies who riding with my roommate (one of which is now my wife) passed me like a bolt of lighting and locked the door as I stepped outside. We had backed up onto the stoop and were against the door as the largest of the boys reached down and grabbed a large rock from the border of the flowerbed. At that time I pulled my weapon and pointed it center mass. When he realized his garden rock was not going to help him any longer, he and his buddies ran back to the car and speed off.
The girls had called the cops while inside, and they caught up to the car a little way down the road. The driver blew well over legal, and drugs were found on more than one of them. Even though no one was actually hurt, I was still shaking for a little while.
I still won't let my wife forget how she locked the door and threw us to the wolves that night.

crittergitter

Ten Pointer
When I was in college my room mate and I went flounder fishing on Camp Lejeune. The weather was going to be fair with a possible t-storm in the afternoon. We are about 3 miles away from the landing when one of the nastiest thunderstorms I have ever been caught in came up. The boat we are in is a 12 foot john boat with a bumblebee of an engine that strugled to make a wake. We are half way across the waterway headed back when a huge fishing boat came by us at full speed. The wake came over us on the beam and down the little boat started. The engine just died. As the lightning was cracking everywhere we were both swimming beside the boat trying to get to shore. We had about 1" of freeboard left when we got back to the landing. We made it and laughed about it until we got to thinking that neither of us grabed a life jacket before we set out on our fishing trip. Never again have I forgotten my lafe jacket.