Ideas for 308 rifles

buffleheadnc2

At some point in the future I am going to be getting a once again. Looking for rifle ideas and suggestions, so far the carbine mossberg line up, tthe ruger american and one of czs carbines all intrigued me. Any other ideas I definitely want a barrel shorter than 20 in but 16 seems a bit to short with 18 seemingly perfect. 308

robertfurr530

Weatherby. Love mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buffleheadnc2

The ruger american really has my attention jenkinsnb. It seems to be exactly what I want barrel wise etc... I cant find any bad reviews on it either in fact most say that they like like it better than the higher end rugers

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
I can't speak for the higher end Rugers, but when I was shopping around, I felt a LOT of rifles in that price area. The bolt on every American I grabbed was 10 times smoother than ANY Mossberg or Remington 700 series rifle I felt. But again, that's the 300-500 dollar 700 series, not the super match grade, 1000 yard shooting, custom stuff. Everywhere I went had the American, 700, and Mossberg ATR, all together. The American shouldered better for me and the bolt of the Remington and Mossberg were not even in the same ballpark as the Ruger. But, that's just my personal experience and opinion with them.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
CZ's are nice, the older LTR Remington is easy to build on and has a nice HS stock from the get go. They came out with the XCR Tactical with the butthook style stock and 40x trigger but I haven't seen one in person. There is always the FN SPR A1A if you can swing it.

EMB

Ten Pointer
Browning Stalker here in .308 and love it. Also have a Remington Model 7 which is a sweet gun as well, with a shorter barrel.

Deerjager

I love my Savage accu-trigger model 11 in 308. Killed a nice 7 ptr at 268 yards with it last season. I know it does not fit your short barrel wants, but it would be an excellent choice.

buffleheadnc2

Drs the 788 is the exact gun my son has in 308 and it is a great shooting rifle

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'd say Remington Model 7. My Dad has one of the Stainless Synthetic models. It is a shooter!!! It does have a 20" barrel though.

Sig

I ended up with a Marlin XS7 in 308. Topped it with a Redfield scope. It's been a fine combination for a few years now.