RE: What's The Difference in Taste of A Wild Turkey over A Store Bought One?

Uwharrieman

Ten Pointer
RE: What's The Difference in Taste of A Wild Turkey over A Store Bought One?

Never eaten any wild turkey, wondered what the
difference in taste is over the store bought ones?

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
As far as the breast meat, I can't really tell a difference...

To me the main difference is in the legs, wild turkey legs are smaller so there
seems to be more tendons running through them so they are tougher...

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A wild bird has almost zero fat, and they will dry our badly if cooked in the same manner as a store bought bird that is typically injected with some kind of liquid to help keep it moist during cooking. The breast meat is has a different flavor that is almost sweet tasting to me, and I like it best cut into "fingers", battered and fried in peanut oil.
The dark meat we usually use in turkey dishes using gravies and noodles of some sort to keep it moist. I've found it's best to pressure cook or crock pot them until the meat separates from the bone and tendons to make it easier to cook into other dishes.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
It tastes better just knowing how you got it.

Seriously, not much difference in the breast meat. The main reason the leg meat tastes different is because wild turkeys actually use their legs. Domestic turkeys eat all day and don't move much.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Seriously, not much difference in the breast meat.

I guess I'll be the odd man out - It tastes completely different to me. They are like two completely different animals. To me wild turkey breast tastes more like a fried pork chop than a domestic turkey. The texture, color, and flavor are all different.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I guess I'll be the odd man out - It tastes completely different to me. They are like two completely different animals. To me wild turkey breast tastes more like a fried pork chop than a domestic turkey. The texture, color, and flavor are all different.

it's very similar..I too think the breast is more like a tender center cut pork chop.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

nope you're not the odd man on this.

you have expressed exactly what i think of the difference.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I enjoy wild turkey more than domestic birds. Not sure how much of it is difference in the meat and how much is the preparation.

Randy

Ten Pointer
To me, the wild turkey breast has more flavor than that from store bought domestic turkeys. I'm not a fan of dark meat so I can't speak to that, but when my Mom was alive, she and my Dad loved pot pie made with wild turkey thigh meat.

deerhunter28

Ten Pointer
I like wild turkey breast much better than store bought .
I don't eat much store bought meat of any kind thou.

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
Blacked out

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Never really cared for the farmed turkeys. I do like wild turkey, there is a different taste. I just don't know how to describe it. I have never tried the dark meat. When I have had wild turkey those that were cooking it were only grilling the breast meat.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I prefer the wild turkey also. The meat stays moister, tender and pure good to eat...:) Even the feel of a wild turkey breast compared to a domestic bird is different, so you know the taste is different.

DOEKILLER

Eight Pointer
it really depends on the age of the bird to me the older the tom is the tougher the breast meat is...but lemme tell you with some onions cooked in a crock pot oh my goodness better than anything bought in a store

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
They taste better,the legs on a tame one are not as tough as a wild one,my wife has a great recipe for them,and I love it, bake with a stick of butter and chopped onions and pepper,garlic, cellery, and diced taters and carrots.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
It tastes different to me too. I grew up eating wild turkey and prefer it over store bought. I agree with Eric that if it is overcooked, it dries out.