What did you dread the most?

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
Hated priming ground leaves but I hated topping and suckering the most....

I'm with you Redeye. I hated topping & suckering more than anything else in the tobacco field. I'm vertically challenged, so sand lugs didn't bother me too bad. Neither did hanging.

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Looking back, I honestly did not mind working in it. It was a steady paycheck when I was young and the only real way to make any money. I worked everyday but Sunday. Though, I did get Friday afternoons off. With that being said, I am glad my son does not have to do it to make money. Though, it probably made me a better person.

I remember the farmer I helped got an auto primer one year and I worked at the bulk barn pushing racks all that summer. That was definitely better than priming.

I never took up smoking mainly because after working in it all the time, I had no interest to smoke it too!

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Longrifle just about covered it all for me also. Unfortunately I had more than one summer of it and didn't find anything about it that I really liked or enjoyed doing.

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Man, ya'll are bringing back some memories! Pegging tobacco was bad but the worst for me were those August afternoons with the temps and humidity around 100 and the tobacco wilting on the stalk. Not sure what was going on but I would get woozy and it seemed the plants were releasing every drop of MH-30, orthane or whatever else had been put on it. Then I would find a red wasp nest tucked up under a leaf! :eek:

2nd worst was getting pounded in a Friday night football game and then hitting the tobacco field at o-dark-thirty the next morning. That tobacco juice will sting on fresh cuts and abrasions! :)

Last edited:

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
I worked tobacco all summer when I was 13 for a family friend who was getting on in years, he told me what to do and I did it,,, from planting to hanging. I made enough to buy a brand new winchester featherweight 270win with a nice scope and mounts plus several boxes of 130 grain powerpoints,, and swore that I'd NEVER do that again!

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
When I became 16 years of age I went downtown and got a job in a drugstore . I took a 75 cents cut in pay per hour but it was air conditioned in the store. That was much better than working 6 days per week in tobacco for me. I made $1.25 per hour priming tobacco, .50 cents per hour in the drug store..Never been in a tobacco patch since that day.