Anyone have personal info on Montgomery CC gunsmith program?

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I have a friend who's son is entering his last year of High School. She informed me that he is very interested in attending, Montgomery county CC for their gunsmith program. So much so that he visited there while the family was on summer vacation.

Now, what raised my eyebrow is that he lives and grew up in South Florida. Very hustle and bustle area, swimming pools, movie stars etc etc. I can't imagine how he even found out about this place, much less became interested in attending there.

I worked in Troy a couple of summers ago, and had to stay a half hour away because there were no hotels in the area. Had to bring our lunches because there were no places to eat lunch etc. His mother asked me to ask around if anyone had any on hand knowledge of it. Is it world renowned? Cutting edge? What would make someone pick a CC 700 miles away from home to learn gunsmith here?

Thanks.

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
If it is half as good as the gunsmith program it is good. Troy does have one small hotel and there is another hotel 7 miles away in Biscoe. There are also several places in Troy to get breakfast, lunch and dinner both local spots and chain fast food places.

<>< Fish

Last edited:

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
If it is half as good as the gunsmith program it is good. Troy does have one small hotel and there is another hotel 7 miles away in Biscoe. There are also several places in Troy to get breakfast, lunch and dinner both local spots and chain fast food places.

<>< Fish

It is the gunsmith program I meant to type. Not sure why the type but I will change it thanks.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone have personal info on Montgomery CC blacksmith program?

The last I heard there Is a waiting list for the program, not sure now...as far as housing he could find a place to rent fairly cheap I'm sure...and people say it is a top notch course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bubba2009

Twelve Pointer
Heard it's over a 2 yr wait for the gunsmithing. But in the mean time you can complete your pre req classes

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I lived in Troy for 5 years. Heard nothing but good about the gun smithing and forestry programs there. Ample places to eat. Great, clean, small town atmosphere. A friend of mine's son went there for the 2 year forestry program. He rented a place. I really enjoyed my 5 years there.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
I know 2 people that graduated there back in the 90's....both very successful gunsmiths now....one in GA and one in KY......

Gadwall

Ten Pointer
I know that it is a very well known program. They also offer an associate's degree in Hunting and Shooting Sports Management.

Hank

Old Mossy Horns
My Gunsmith graduated from there 4 or 5 years ago. Not sure if there is anything that he CAN NOT do, I am very happy with the quality of his work.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Can't say what it is like these days, but about 28 years ago it was one of only a few resident gunsmith courses that one could attend in the country. Even though I was taught mostly by me father and chambered, threaded, headspaced, and crowned my first barrel, built my first stock from a Fajen blank, bedded my first stock, and finished my first stock at the age of 14, I learned a ton from the MCC gunsmith program.

nchunter13

Eight Pointer
I know and have worked with several graduates of the course, one of whom is now an instructor there. All are skilled gunsmiths and feel that the program is very good. I also have worked with other gunsmiths who have praised the program even though they did not go there but have worked with others who did. From what I have heard it is one of the top programs in the country.

Deerjager

I have known some good gunsmiths who are graduates. It is a top notch program based on my experience with the graduates.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
I will tell you this as well, as you may need to know it. While they will teach you tons and tons about basic, intermediate, and advanced gunsmithing and many of the specialized armory courses, they do not (at least years ago they didn't) teach you a lot on how to run a gunsmith business, i.e. what licenses and permits you will need and how to get them, how to administer and run your business, how to market and advertise, and other business related skills. Maybe they teach more about the business aspects of gunsmithing these days, I just don't know.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
I will tell you this as well, as you may need to know it. While they will teach you tons and tons about basic, intermediate, and advanced gunsmithing and many of the specialized armory courses, they do not (at least years ago they didn't) teach you a lot on how to run a gunsmith business, i.e. what licenses and permits you will need and how to get them, how to administer and run your business, how to market and advertise, and other business related skills. Maybe they teach more about the business aspects of gunsmithing these days, I just don't know.

I don't know about gun smithing business specifically, but this year they have had TONS of seminars on marketing, advertising, account keeping, etc. They have all been free and open to the public and presented by professors of MCC and their preferred guests.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have a couple of friends who have taken that program,,,,and they donate a custom rifle every year (so far) to the SENC Friends of the NRA banquet (coming up 8 Aug!),,,,I wouldn't hesitate for someone I knew to attend

lbksmom

Banned
I live in Montgomery County. From what I hear the program is one of the best on the east coast. I guess that is why there is a waiting list.
Small town atmosphere, but Greensboro is about 45 minutes away for a few more options for fun.
It he is serious about gun smithing it is a good choice.

BigGun1

Eight Pointer
Johnston Community College in Smithfield is getting set to have a "Firearms Manufacturing" curriculum to start next fall. Right now they are only offer Continuing Ed. classes at night. This will be different from the standard gunsmithing of one offs. This will be aimed at mass productions using the most modern machines to produce firearms, and yes we will build them from scratch. There will be some of the same basic gunsmithing as well. These classes will go hand in hand with the machining curriculum also. There has been over $500,000 spent on machine to modernize the shop in the past few years. If anyone would like a tour one evening just stop over and ask for Brandon or Dexter in the Britt building. We are there from 5:30 - 10:00 each night.