Otis Gun Cleaning System

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
Just picked up one at Force Recon military surplus in Raleigh on Saturday. Its the hocky puck style kit. What do you guys think about these things? I cleaned an m92 and my AR with it and I think it does a good job but it takes a little longer to use the system than a standard rod. This kit will however be perfect for trips (which is why I got it)I am just wondering if any of you use theses exclusively vs the rod system and if so why?
IMG_8143 (598x800).jpgIMG_8144 (598x800).jpg

Last edited:

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Watch for the solvent bottles, as they will leak, especially when the swell from the heat, once opened. Keept one stapped my assualt pack and ruck sack since 2004. Not ideal but serves the purpose for a compact cleaning.

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
So even with the fancy otis cleaning system you are still using your good old fashioned rod, patches and hoppes at the house? For some reason I thought this would replace my "old fashioned" method but after using it once I dont really see it. I do like the way the patches go through the loops though to create the 360 degree flower. I will just start doing that with the rod method.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
So even with the fancy otis cleaning system you are still using your good old fashioned rod, patches and hoppes at the house? For some reason I thought this would replace my "old fashioned" method but after using it once I dont really see it. I do like the way the patches go through the loops though to create the 360 degree flower. I will just start doing that with the rod method.

For my personal weapons at the house or my customers weapons in my shop, I use Dewey and Tipton 1 piece coated rods of various caliber sizes and lengths, with the appropriate sized jag and patches. The Otis's are strictly for field use.

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
otis-gun-cleaning-kit.jpeg

My sons have these.. and LOVE them. Around a $100 a piece.. Great Christmas gifts.
Love my otis kits.

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
That is one of those things that is almost worth the money to just pull out every now and then to look at... Hmm.. kinda like half the guns in my safe..

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I have one, but only reason i got it was for the breach to muzzle cable. (A must for lever guns). I got it on sale cheaper than the other kits with cables, and thats why i picked it over them. Otis kits are ok but really no better or worse than any other decent cleaning kit.