Wild Turkey Hen And

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Thirteen little ones, a baker's dozen. Saw the flock this morning in the church yard just down the road here. I was getting a little early morning exercise riding my bicycle so I just stopped and watched them for a couple of minutes. They didn't seem too disturbed at my presence but the Hen watched me and never moved at all until I rode on..The little ones look to be about 1/4 grown but they can fly...Sure was great to see them out feeding...

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
That's quite a good number for a single hen.

Yeah I thought that too but there was only one grown Turkey with them and that was a Hen. I am just guessing that all that brood is hers but I can't be sure. This is twice that I have seen them now with the lone Hen.. First time I saw them the wife was with me but we only saw maybe 6 or so small ones. With all the Foxes we have around here I wonder how that many of the little ones survived..

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Could be a 100% success rate for her. My poult sitings have not been good this year but I'm sure they are there.

I know a guy who had been regularly seeing a hen with six, then down to three and now she has one left.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Well yesterday in late afternoon I saw that flock of Turkeys again, back feeding in the churchyard. This time there were two hens with them but still 13 little ones. At least over the last week or so they haven't lost any of the small ones. I did notice that one of the hens would peck at any of the small ones that came near her.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Saw two groups of hens with poults today. One hen had six little ones. Definitely a July hatch.

Hunt_Fish_Sleep

Four Pointer
My neighbor texted me last at 7 and said there were 2 hens and 5 little ones on the power line directly behind our house pecking at the ground. I've got a game cam set up to check deer activity but will check to see if I got any shots of the turks. Last week he said there he counted 5 out there, not sure what the specs on that group was.