For those who work 3rd shift

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Here's another thing about 3rd shift. All the noise that people generate during the day will affect your rest if indeed you can rest during the daylight hours. People running lawn mowers, my phone used to ring quite often during the day waking me up each time. I couldn't unplug it my wife worked and I never knew when she might need me if she got sick or in an accident or whatever. People used to ring my doorbell, some asked if I knew where so and so lived, others were trying to sell a product . One day my doorbell rang and the guy at my door wanted to borrow an ink pen I have no idea who he was never saw him before. Another guy was an insurance agent and the man actually asked me after I went to the door if the man across the street would like to buy some insurance from him. That really ticked me off. Many others just looked at me after I opened the door and with a blank look on their face they would say, ahhh, did I wake you up ? Naaaa you didn't wake me up I always look like this during the day and wear a bath robe..

Its not a normal lifestyle when you work 3rd shift everything is just opposite from what one is used to...I could sleep during the daytime but not rest very well...

Last edited:

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
Also, people who know you work nights will call or come by anyway. They always start out with, "I hope I didn`t wake you...."
Another thing that was tough was, when my kids were young, my wife would have to take them somewhere during the day (usually to the park) because you can`t get a totler to be quiet. It was tough on her having to do that every other weekend. It`ll effect your family too.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
If working nights was the only way I could put food on my table, I would be MUCH skinnier!

There are a few things in this world I know I don't do well. Workings nights is near the top of that list.

I only lasted three weeks

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I worked 3rd shift for a time while I was in college. If you have any other options, I would NOT recommend it. No matter what you think or tell yourself, it will affect your school work and makes for a pretty miserable day when you work all night and then don't get to go to bed until 4 or 5 o'clock the next day.

mudflap

Ten Pointer
I agree with my dad, he said " If god wanted you to work at night, he would have put a headlight on your forehead".

Train

I currently work 3rd and I also go to school full time. I got my schedule right after about a few weeks. Now with me in school, working 3rd is great. I have time to work on school work at work (which not a lot jobs allow you this on any shift) and I get better pay and more hours.

Really it is what you need it to be and what you need to do to get bills paid and have money. Working 3rd is not ideal but it is great for some people and what you make of it.

5 Shot

Ten Pointer
I have been working shift work for 30 years. All I can say is its tough and its not for everyone. I will be glad to retire.

Last edited:

GrizzlyBear

Old Mossy Horns
Funny how many typos are in this thread from folks who worked 3rd. Lol. I worked swing shift on a summer job. 3rd sucks.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
I can remember a few who worked third shift because it paid a few cents more on the hour than the other shifts. Not worth it to me ...Some people are just plain tougher than I am ...

THERYANO311

Twelve Pointer
I've done it for years. 12 hour shifts. I would rather work days but once I got used to it it's not that bad. Plus I couldn't deer hunt at night so i actually felt like I was better off during deer season. Good luck

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Worked 12 hour nights shifts for years. Always thought I was a night shift person....until I switched to days. You don't realize how much better you feel. People were not made to work nights. Having said that it won't kill you and may be a good life experience. Get some black out curtains for your windows.

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns
Thankfully not gonna have to worry about makin the decision. I've landed a new job refinishing furniture. I do appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions!