Shooting the big magnums

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Going to a friends to shoot to 1k this weekend. We are going to shoot his Match rifle in 308 and he is bringing a 338 LM and his 30/378 Weatherby. If no one hears from me next week it's because I am still buried in the dirt mound the gun kicked me into:) I have never shot any of the big guns like the Lapua or Weatherby. I bet the Weatherby will kick like a mule.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had a 300 Wby Magnum...for about 8 rounds. My 300WSM is like shooting a 22 mag compared to that mule.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I shot a 30/378 many years ago and it didn't have a brake on it and was in a fairly light rifle. Wasn't on my list of most pleasant things I have done. Right rifle and setup all those things are fun with good hearing protection. Have fun.

Now I would rather go with Larry R with some small caliber stuff and watch him shoot some of those longer range whistle pigs. I used to do it on a fairly regular basis, I am a little too shaky for those ranges and don't care about getting pushed around by the big bore stuff anymore.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The 30/378 Wby is no kitten. With a brake... you know you shot it. Without a brake... your great grandkids know you shot it.

Just kidding. It isn't bad at all with the brake, but without a brake, it is not very comfortable.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I am pretty sure the Weatherby is a pencil barrel brake less rifle. The Lapua is a full custom as is the 308. Weight is definitely a big factor. We had my 7 WSM English Custom out and my ultralight 7mm-08 and the 7mm-08 kicked harder according to a few friends that rarely shoot centerfires. The 7 WSM was a kitten but it weighed around 10 lbs. the 7mm-08 was around 5.5-6. We will be using one of Clint's bipods from Duplin as well. Haven't tried it out yet but it is fairly popular with the F T/R guys. Hoping I can get prone with my bad leg. Wish I still had the 7 WSM to shoot. It would be great at those ranges.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
He offered to let me borrow the Weatherby this year and I might have to try it on game as long as I can handle it on the range. He is loading all the ammo thankfully. 30-378 is not a cheap round to shoot and the 338 Lapua isn't much cheaper.

Last edited:

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That thing is likely producing over 50 ft lbs. of recoil compared to around 13.5 ft lbs for a 5.5lb 7mm08

Last edited:

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
That thing is likely producing over 50 ft lbs. of recoil compared to around 13.5 ft lbs for a 5.5lb 7mm08

I am quite certain I will remember it on Sunday morning. I don't mind the UL but a friend that tried it didn't care for it. I have never minded the hard kickers but haven't tried this level before. Should be ok though. I am more concerned with my ability to get into position than I am with the recoil side of it.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Also note, the recoil is likely to be felt more in the prone position.

This is in the just plain sucks level. 50lbs is over 2x the the recoil of an average .300 Win Mag.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I know recoil is worse in the prone position. I don't have a recoil shield but I think it will be ok. If I do get a nice black and blue I will be sure to share a pic.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The one I shot was a pencil barreled one. At that time I weighed close to 260 and was a healthy boy. I shot it 10-15 times through the course of the evening it finally got my eye brow to the tune of 9 stitches and that was prone. The rest was off the bench. I know, poor form but that was the end for me.

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I had a 300 Wby Magnum...for about 8 rounds. My 300WSM is like shooting a 22 mag compared to that mule.

A dear friend that passed away left me his Weatherby 300 and you are so right. Kicks like a mule!

NC Deer Hunter

Six Pointer
And now that I'm getting older, I have since started complaining about my 7MM STW but that's a 243 compaired to those big boys. Those things will make yer Hair go "POOF" Take some Video.

I have a 338 RUM and a 30/378. I hunt with the 30/378 shooting beger VLD's it is not bad to shoot it does have a break the only issue I have with the gun it is very load so hear protection is a must but it is very flat shooting . The 338 I use for long range shooting it has a little more push but it still is not bad to shoot. Neither one are bad to shoot just have to be prepared for a little push

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
The first centerfire I shot was when I was 9 or 10 and it was a hot loaded 7RM. Pretty sure it was about 3" from my shoulder as well. I was about 6 foot by then so it wasn't to bad but I did get a little flinch after. I do prefer the smaller bores as well but this should be a good time.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I sed to have to test fire the big doubles at the gun shop, the old feller that owned the place was getting too old to take the abuse. One of his best sellers was a .416 Otto that he had come up with that we made using a Winchester or Dakota receiver..it was a brute to shoot as well.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I almost think the big bores are worse but maybe not as snappy. I don't mind shooting a 12 gauge with 3 1/2 s in it. I am also thinking when all the medical stuff clears up to get a 9.3 or 375 so this will be a nice test to what I can take. I have been thinking lately of re-barreling my 7mm to a 308 in the UL and then getting a new CZ carbine 223 when they switch to a 9 twist and a 375 to round it out and that would be all I would probably need unless maybe a flatter shooter than a 375 was needed but with a 250 gr Nosler it looks fairly flat. I am a minimalist so collecting excess guns is not for me.

double

Twelve Pointer
The 338 lm is a beast even with the break. I am not normally recall shy but there are 2 guns i will pass up shooting if offered. Any 338 lm without a break and any pistol chambered in 460.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Hawkins

Eight Pointer
A dear friend that passed away left me his Weatherby 300 and you are so right. Kicks like a mule!

Were these 300 Wby synthetic stocked / lightweight rifles? I am asking because the Mark V Deluxe with the wood stock was pleasure to shoot. I have always loved the high comb and thin pistol grip. With scope it must weight 10+ lbs. so that weight soaks up the recoil. The guns I hate shooting are the lightweights like my friend's Tikka synthetic 270 Win. At @5 lbs. that is a SHARP kick.

Deerjager

Were these 300 Wby synthetic stocked / lightweight rifles? I am asking because the Mark V Deluxe with the wood stock was pleasure to shoot. I have always loved the high comb and thin pistol grip. With scope it must weight 10+ lbs. so that weight soaks up the recoil. The guns I hate shooting are the lightweights like my friend's Tikka synthetic 270 Win. At @5 lbs. that is a SHARP kick.

I too have a deluxe in 300 wtby and it is not bad at all to shoot. I also have a the 7mm & 257 Wthby chambered rifles so I guess I do not mind the recoil. Worst ones I ever shot was a 375 RUM and a 460 wthby, both w/o a muzzle break.

Have someone take some videos & pics of your shooting the big bores. That 338 LM will be a hoot to shoot.

Hank

Old Mossy Horns
I have shot a 30/378 before, and honestly I did not think it was that bad, must have had a great MB on it. The part I hated was the $4.00 per shot it cost my buddy.

Tony Hawkins

Eight Pointer
I have shot a 30/378 before, and honestly I did not think it was that bad, must have had a great MB on it. The part I hated was the $4.00 per shot it cost my buddy.

... and this is why I started reloading. While I love the rifle and performance of the 300 Wby., I hated paying the price for factory ammo; and that was when it was @ $50/box. Last time I looked it was around $80. I have been using the Accubond for the last few years, and its performance on deer is incredible.
I bought my rifle with money from basic training in 1992; I don't think the 30/378 was out at that time.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
The largest two rifles I have ever shot were the .375 HH and a .338 RUM. The worst part about the 3338 IMHO was the noise, even with earplugs the brake would ring your ears terrible. The worst recoil I have ever felt was from a .270 Remington 7600. It was my first deer rifle and I hated that gun. To this day I will not own a .270 I know it is stupid but i still think of the .270 as a painful cartridge. I think stock design, weight etc make a lot more difference than caliber.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a 1972 .444 Marlin in the straight stocked version lever action that isn't any fun to shoot because of the design of the stock and weight of the rifle. With 265 grain Hornady hand loads it will rock your world for sure. Lots of folks want to shoot it to see what it's like, very few want to shoot it twice. It has caused several folks to have the scope tattoo above their eye, and the 2x7 Leupold has plenty of eye relief.