200 grain bullets in savage

Does anyone shoot 200 grain bullets in their savage muzzleloader? Im just curious of the results good or bad so that I will know if I want to try some in my gun.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
In the 50 cal Savage 10ML and 10ML-II, 200gr bullets of any type (with the exception of the 45 cal 195gr DEVEL) over the past 15 years have not been a good or even a decent performer at all. However in the converted Savages and custom built 45 cals, the .40 call 195gr and 200gr bullets have been 1/2" groupers or better and have been dropping deer like they've been struck by lightening.

In the Savage stick with .452 cal 250gr XTP's, 250gr Spitfire T-EZ's, 250gr SST's, or even 275gr Parker Hydra Cons or Ballistic Extremes. Powders like Vithavouri N110 and IMR 4759 are the go to powders, with charges in the 42gr-44gr range being the sweet spot. MMP standard short finger black sabots are the most popular sabot used, but the Harvester Crushed Ribs (black and red) are used quite a bit as well. whatever bullet sabot combo you use, just make sure that you have a nice tight fit in the bore, to ensure positive ignition and good accuracy. Don't rule out using .452 300gr bullets as well. That is what the 10ML and 10ML-II were designed to shoot.

22LR

Twelve Pointer
'' the 45 cal 195gr DEVEL''
Wish I could find some of those bullets. Anyway, my ML II shoots the .452 300 grain XTP with the mmp hph-24 sabot with 42.5 grain's of AA 5744 powder pretty good and hammers deer. I have worked up a reduced load for my two Daughters using the .452 250 grain XTP's with the same sabot & 36.5 grains of AA 5744 powder(recoil is comparable to a .243 win) that shoots good also but haven't taken a deer yet with that load. I hope this helps. I learned everything I know about the Savage ML from 1SHOT, my hats off to him!

S.B.

I just picked up a Savage ML-II. It only makes small groups with the 300 grain xtp and sst's so far. I have not tried much outside of hornady bullets. Did well enough with the 250 grain for hunting purposes out to 100 yards with sub 4 moa, but the 300 grain .452 xtp with short black sabots shined with sub 2 moa at 100. Other shooters may could do better, factor in my human error of course ;). I used 42 grains of AA 5744 on a .452 300 grain xtp with black sabot.

Last edited:

Lou

Eight Pointer
Hey dumb question on the Savage 10ML..........I found some sabots a while back (can't remember the name, I'm not at home right now to check the garage) that will enable one to shoot .44 magnum bullets in the Savage.

Has anyone ever tried shooting 0.429 240gr JSP bullets, or perhaps even 0.430 240gr hard cast bullets in the Savage (with the appropriate sabots, of course)?

Thanks,
Lou

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
44 cal (.429") will not shoot worth a hoot in the Savage. Save yourself some time, components, and frustration and avoid the 44 call bullets and sabots.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
I just picked up a Savage ML-II. It only makes small groups with the 300 grain xtp and sst's so far. I have not tried much outside of hornady bullets. Did well enough with the 250 grain for hunting purposes out to 100 yards with sub 4 moa, but the 300 grain .452 xtp with short black sabots shined with sub 2 moa at 100. Other shooters may could do better, factor in my human error of course ;). I used 42 grains of AA 5744 on a .452 300 grain xtp with black sabot.

Did you work up to 45gr of 5744?? That is where many find the sweet spot and sub 1" groups. Work up from 42gr in 1 grain increment up to 45gr.

Lou

Eight Pointer
44 cal (.429") will not shoot worth a hoot in the Savage. Save yourself some time, components, and frustration and avoid the 44 call bullets and sabots.

Thanks Bill, I figured you'd know the answer to my question and was hoping you'd reply!

Lou