Dog Hunting

buckrunner

Im watching “Bubba Roundtree Outdoors” dog hunting videos getting fired up lol. It just hit me that the only reason I hunt with a bow and muzzleloader is to just hold me over until I can hear the hounds. Dog hunting is my passion. I still hunt only when it isn’t feasible for me to drive down east during rifle season. Pretty much any type of hunting that involves hounds I love it. Deer, coon, rabbit, squirrel, bear you name it…It’s 10x’s better to me with hounds. Anybody else this way?

Carolinafatz

Yup dog hunting is really the only hunting I do! Now fishing is a different story all together, but as for hunting if dogs ain't runnin it, I ain't killen it! Unless it's a monster buck on my property

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I like all types of hunting, but I love hunting with dogs, all game. If I had to choose one type of deer hunting over all the others, hunting with my hounds would be the one I would choose. Sometimes people ask if I turkey hunt. I tell them no. They ask why and I answer " 'cause they will not let me hunt them with dogs here".

nc rabbit hunter

To me hunting isnt the same without a dog involved.I do it all but it just isnt the same rush without dogs.

Southside

Ten Pointer
I like all types of hunting, but I love hunting with dogs, all game. If I had to choose one type of deer hunting over all the others, hunting with my hounds would be the one I would choose. Sometimes people ask if I turkey hunt. I tell them no. They ask why and I answer " 'cause they will not let me hunt them with dogs here".

A friend of mine has two boykins he turkey hunts with. Never tried it but sounds interesting.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
A friend of mine has two boykins he turkey hunts with. Never tried it but sounds interesting.

Ya, I think that would be interesting, just not ready to travel out of state yet and buy non-resident license.

Last edited:

buckshot32182

Eight Pointer
My passion, my love, my everything. Top of my list of things to do. Love to hear that roar. Going to enjoy a lot this year as I have 7 puppies now almost 5 months a piece. Can't wait to get them broke. Haven't had the chance to do that for 7 years now. Finally the lord has blessed me with a pack of pups.

buckrunner

Best of luck with them. There is NOTHING like seeing your packs' light switch turn on!

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Worked too much last year but year before I got in on some great races. Ain't nothing like a good pack of Walkers or Black-n-Tans jumping one and lightin' up the woods, bawling like they been stuck with a knife, and coming right at you....

I'm gonna pass on a tip to any new dog hunters here, maybe some seasoned ones as well. Don't be standing around the truck with yer fingers up yer butt just because the dogs are heading in another direction. The biggest buck I've taken to date slipped out 15 minutes after the dogs had come through with three does and were almost out of hearing. I've seen more than one old buck try to skulk out of the area when there's too much noise or commotion to suit him. I keep my binoculars busy on the edges and my rifle rested across my backpack on the dog box....

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Worked too much last year but year before I got in on some great races. Ain't nothing like a good pack of Walkers or Black-n-Tans jumping one and lightin' up the woods, bawling like they been stuck with a knife, and coming right at you....

I'm gonna pass on a tip to any new dog hunters here, maybe some seasoned ones as well. Don't be standing around the truck with yer fingers up yer butt just because the dogs are heading in another direction. The biggest buck I've taken to date slipped out 15 minutes after the dogs had come through with three does and were almost out of hearing. I've seen more than one old buck try to skulk out of the area when there's too much noise or commotion to suit him. I keep my binoculars busy on the edges and my rifle rested across my backpack on the dog box....

Now you no that hain't ever happened!

Speed1

Eight Pointer
Yes, I love the hounds, I hunt with bow and muzzleloader but my favorite is the hounds running, come on November.

Edward

Four Pointer
Nothing better than hearing a pack burning it up. I just listen and haven't loaded a gun but 2 times maybe last year and that was when my son is with me.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Lots of truth to that statement...solid advise also