Hog Hunting With A GoPro Spear!

Songdoghunter

Twelve Pointer
Little bit different kind of hog hunt.

[video=youtube;6_16go1VT3E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_16go1VT3E&feature=youtu.be[/video]

nckeith

Ten Pointer
I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this, but as someone who hunts with and for hogs fairly regularly, the spear method seems unnecessarily cruel. A follow up shot to the head to dispatch the animal faster would be more humane. I'm not knocking anyone prefered method of hunting, but for me a quick shot and death is my MO. These types of vids make me cringe because its the type of videos anti hunters like to send around to show how barbaric hunters are.

Last edited:

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this, but as someone who hunts with and for hogs fairly regularly, the spear method seems unnecessarily cruel. A follow up shot to the head to dispatch the animal faster would be more humane. I'm not knocking anyone prefered method of hunting, but for me a quick shot and death is my MO. These types of vids make me cringe because its the type of videos anti hunters like to send around to show how barbaric hunters are.

Same here.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Should firearms be allowed for 'barbaric' archers to quickly and cleanly dispatch of their wounded deer when possible?

HorNhnTr

Twelve Pointer

Agree....

nckeith

Ten Pointer
Should firearms be allowed for 'barbaric' archers to quickly and cleanly dispatch of their wounded deer when possible?

I dont want to get into a battle here. However, an archery kill due to rate of speed, broad head and the nature of shot placement is much more humane. If I hunted with an archer who consistently shot a bow at 20lbs and shoulder shot deer, I think we would all tell them to practice and up the poundage. Theres a reason why there are minimum poundage requirements. And yes during gun season when I am still archery hunting I carry a sidearm just in case.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
really need that to start happening on deer. maybe have a special spear season. :)

i'll pass on the spears. watching or throwing.

Hunt_Fish_Sleep

Four Pointer
I like it. Besides the go-pro and maybe the bait, it goes back to the basic way of hunting like a caveman really. Sit up in a tree with a sharp stick and get you some dinner.

mike4592

Four Pointer
We use a knife to the heart when hunting hogs with dogs only takes a few seconds an there dead an bleed out to

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I dont want to get into a battle here. However, an archery kill due to rate of speed, broad head and the nature of shot placement is much more humane. If I hunted with an archer who consistently shot a bow at 20lbs and shoulder shot deer, I think we would all tell them to practice and up the poundage. Theres a reason why there are minimum poundage requirements. And yes during gun season when I am still archery hunting I carry a sidearm just in case.
Carrying a side arm to dispatch them in NC recently became legal, you new to the archery sport here in NC?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't remember saying I bow hunt only in North Carolina. Plus I have a CCW. What are you implying?
What I am saying is that it has only been legal in NC for a very few years to dispatch deer with a pistol so using that as a humane means to dispatch in NC is a weak point. I am also saying if it is legal personally I wouldn't be pointing fingers at how anyone hunts. As a sidebar though, unless it has recently been changed hogs is the only thing you can use a spear on in NC.

I came up on a fellow several years ago that was actually using one deer hunting. I wasn't sure at the time and this was before the age of computers in vehicles. Upon checking it wasn't legal for deer. I cited him and he actually took his case to court and was convicted.

Last edited:

hunter930

Six Pointer

Agreed. Little to long to die for me as well. Ive dog hunted hogs several times and stabbed them with a knife, much quicker death.

nckeith

Ten Pointer
What I am saying is that it has only been legal in NC for a very few years to dispatch deer with a pistol so using that as a humane means to dispatch in NC is a weak point. I am also saying if it is legal personally I wouldn't be pointing fingers at how anyone hunts. As a sidebar though, unless it has recently been changed hogs is the only thing you can use a spear on in NC.

I came up on a fellow several years ago that was actually using one deer hunting. I wasn't sure at the time and this was before the age of computers in vehicles. Upon checking it wasn't legal for deer. I cited him and he actually took his case to court and was convicted.
Again, I'm not quite sure what you are implying. apparently you are LEO. I would think reading comprehension should be a prerequisite. Whether or not a spear is legal or not, I stated my opinion, which has been backed by most if not all here, that my prefered method is a quick kill. I do not read in my original posts where this was a discussion of how I dispatch of deer with a pistol. Again I merely stated then when I hunt hogs or deer I prefer a quicker method. The spear and subsequent death of the hog seemed in my opinion a little drawn out. Again its just my opinion. To each their own.

Cheese

Six Pointer
That video was hard to watch....

Crap like this should not be filmed as it really just makes our sport look terrible.

Briargoat

Ten Pointer
I personally found nothing wrong with the video. Yes, a quick death is ideal but it doesn't always happen that way. When others start discussing the cruelty of hunting, I'm quick to let them know that nature is way worse on wildlife then anything I would think about doing. There are plenty of videos of deer being eaten alive. Predation, starvation, and disease are very slow processes.

coondog87

Eight Pointer
I personally found nothing wrong with the video. Yes, a quick death is ideal but it doesn't always happen that way. When others start discussing the cruelty of hunting, I'm quick to let them know that nature is way worse on wildlife then anything I would think about doing. There are plenty of videos of deer being eaten alive. Predation, starvation, and disease are very slow processes.

true, but God gave us domain over animals and the ability to do things a better way. I do not think we should compare ourselves to nature.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Killed 2 hogs this year with a knife....died quickly. 10x more humane than the one I shot yrs ago in the head with a .270 - it kicked around for awhile

Trophybucks

That was AWESOME! Thanks for sharing. I think sometimes we get too detached from the killing aspect and sometimes it is fast...sometimes it is slow....I wonder how long gut shot deer suffer....they just don't squeal.

Briargoat

Ten Pointer
true, but God gave us domain over animals and the ability to do things a better way. I do not think we should compare ourselves to nature.
As a hunter and person, I absolutely consider myself part of nature. People have been using primitive for thousands of years. Not arguing with you because I do a lot to make sure everything is done humanely. But I don't judge others for doing things differently

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
Alot of bow killed deer take as long to die, they just do it quietly for the most part,,,, I heard one deer let out a couple of screams/long bleats that would curl your hair when hit with an arrow. It ran 100 yards and died.

Watching the video I was thinking my 590 and a load of 3" buckshot and I could take out 4-5 of those small ones grouped together, now that would be some good eating.

Last edited:

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
That was AWESOME! Thanks for sharing. I think sometimes we get too detached from the killing aspect and sometimes it is fast...sometimes it is slow....I wonder how long gut shot deer suffer....they just don't squeal.

thats exactly what I was thinking

Songdoghunter

Twelve Pointer
I'm reminded of the old bible text of "straining at gnats and swallowing camels", or " majoring on the minors", or essentially nitpicking other's methodology while ignoring their own inconsistencies. I posted the video to show the challenge of actually hitting the hog with the spear and to highlight the GoPro camera. I should have known that not unlike many other threads on the forum, this one would be debated and hijacked! The word hypocrite also comes to mind.

How many of you have ever shot a coon out to a dog and screamed and hollered like a banshee while the dog was tearing the guts out of the "still living" coon who was also screaming? I'm certain that none of you PETA smoochers here has ever shot a dove out of the air and left the wounded bird laying in a corn field for an hour before getting up to walk over and pinch its head off, or set a leghold trap and caught animals that either waited all night to be dispatched the next morning by the trapper or chewed their foot off to escape.

Come on people, learn to keep things in perspective and context, and stop re-directing posts on this forum to promote a hypocritical agenda!

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
If the guy would have followed up with another spear as quickly as possible or gotten down and finished the job, I wouldn't have said a peep. I've mortally wounded plenty of animals in 30+ years of hunting. I've recovered most of them. If I was ever offered a second, third or fourth shot, I took them until the animal expired. I just didn't sit there and watch them squirm and suffer. Call me what you want, but I do have respect for Gods critters.