Saddle hunting.

ncbowhunter96

Anyone ever try a tree saddle?? Should I buy one or would a climber be a better route??

CarolinaWildlife

Ten Pointer
I've got one and it will help you get into some spots that you couldn't use tree stand. Used it exclusively for about 3 seasons...instead of my summit climber. Highly recommended.
Very stealthy.

I bought the aero hunter by newtribe last year and hunt out of it a lot. I have since upgraded to the aero evolution and love it. I don't think I could go back to a climber again.

Proverbs 27:17

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Lots of guys up here in the upper Midwest love them for hunting back out of the way public land.

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
I've got one and have used it 90% of the time. I've even used one while standing in a hang on. They just give you a lot of flexibility while in the tree in making tough shots. My three favorite things about the tree sling are: 1. pretty lightweight when combined with some climbing sticks 2. you literally hide from the deer behind the trunk until just before you draw back and release and 3. it's a very safe system. You simply can't fall out of it. The webbing is parachute grade. You'd have to want to jump out of this thing to get hurt or fall.

I've sat in them all day and this can be somewhat trying. For 4-6 hour hunts it's very comfortable. Remember to never carry your wallet in your back pocket while in a tree saddle....your but cheek will quickly go to sleep and there's no easy way of accessing your back pocket.

I've used it rifle hunting and it's great there too, but shots toward your right (if you're right handed) are awkward due to the chest strap.

I thought the tree saddle folks went out of business.

ncbowhunter96

I've got one and have used it 90% of the time. I've even used one while standing in a hang on. They just give you a lot of flexibility while in the tree in making tough shots. My three favorite things about the tree sling are: 1. pretty lightweight when combined with some climbing sticks 2. you literally hide from the deer behind the trunk until just before you draw back and release and 3. it's a very safe system. You simply can't fall out of it. The webbing is parachute grade. You'd have to want to jump out of this thing to get hurt or fall.

I've sat in them all day and this can be somewhat trying. For 4-6 hour hunts it's very comfortable. Remember to never carry your wallet in your back pocket while in a tree saddle....your but cheek will quickly go to sleep and there's no easy way of accessing your back pocket.

I've used it rifle hunting and it's great there too, but shots toward your right (if you're right handed) are awkward due to the chest strap.

I thought the tree saddle folks went out of business.
Yeah Trophyline brand went out of business but a company called new tribe makes some good ones. Check out newtribe.com/areo hunter evolution

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
google john or chris eberhart.

they have three bowhunting books, all of which have a section extolling the benefits of the tree saddle. their first book has a whole section on this.

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
Yeah Trophyline brand went out of business but a company called new tribe makes some good ones. Check out newtribe.com/areo hunter evolution

That's good to know. Mine's held up well for the last 6 years. Not sure what the lifespan of these things are, but when I need another it's good to know there's another supplier! Thanks!

DJinNC

Banned
I used one. It took some practice to adjust to shooting a bow, but I got the hang of it and came to like it. With about 5-6 Lone Wolf sticks a great set up. I got rid of mine because the company went out of business and I felt unsure about using an old sling. The value shot up. I bought mine for about 200.00 and sold it for over 400!!!!!! I used the money to buy a lone wolf climber and a hang on. That being said, I will try again but with Trophyline going belly up..... I am looking to get this:

http://newtribe.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=134

There is another similar saddle from lone wolf called the assassin sling and also "Guido's web"

ncbowhunter96

google john or chris eberhart.

they have three bowhunting books, all of which have a section extolling the benefits of the tree saddle. their first book has a whole section on this.

Yea my brother and one of his friends from ohio (he is the most serious hunter I know) swear by their books. Guess I should get them and read em.

I started saddle hunting with the guidos web. It was very comfy but also very bulky. I believe the areo evolution is the best of both worlds. Pretty comfy and very light weight

Proverbs 27:17

ncbowhunter96

I used one. It took some practice to adjust to shooting a bow, but I got the hang of it and came to like it. With about 5-6 Lone Wolf sticks a great set up. I got rid of mine because the company went out of business and I felt unsure about using an old sling. The value shot up. I bought mine for about 200.00 and sold it for over 400!!!!!! I used the money to buy a lone wolf climber and a hang on. That being said, I will try again but with Trophyline going belly up..... I am looking to get this:

http://newtribe.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=134

There is another similar saddle from lone wolf called the assassin sling and also "Guido's web"
That's bout what im looking at... A saddle and four or five muddy sticks. Would you rather have that than a climber?? Or do you like your climber better?? I want as light and fast up the tree as possible

CarolinaWildlife

Ten Pointer
The saddle and climbing sticks is the quietest and quickest way up once you get the hang of it. I've got 2 sets of lone wolf's and one set of muddys.
You're choices of stand sites increases dramatically with the saddle. If the tree can hold your weight. .it's huntable.
The main reason I got mine was to hunt a cut over one season.
Scott Barber 919-761-4230. He works at NC Hunter Supply part-time .He can point you in the right direction if you are looking at using a saddle. Tell him Batman sent you:cool:
I almost sold mine last season and then decided to hold on to it. I don't ever see me parting with it.

Last edited:

DJinNC

Banned
That's bout what im looking at... A saddle and four or five muddy sticks. Would you rather have that than a climber?? Or do you like your climber better?? I want as light and fast up the tree as possible

If I am hunting a place for the first time or going into public gamelends where I am hunting signs, I prefer a to use a hang on and climbing sticks because it allows me to hunt sign/cover using pretty much any tree available. IF YOU PRACTICE and get a routine, using one of the better engineered set ups (Lone Wolf, Muddy. gorilla) you can quietly climb 20 ft and hang a stand in less than 10 minutes and with a packing weight under 24 pounds. Use a MOLLE system and kidey belt and you can hike miles even drag deer EASY. I really like climbing sticks early season Sept-Mid November because it allows me to set up just above the first canopy line in a fully branched and leafed tree and use the foliage as camo for any deer looking up. No pruning.

If I know an area well and have a specific tree staked out or if I suspect an area has lots of pines or telephone pole hardwoods I take my climber (a very light Lone Wolf assault hand climber @ 12 pounds). In the late part of the season, when most of the foliage has fallen and the wind really blows, I tend to use the climber to get higher than 20 feet to help with scent dispersal and get out of the sight line since there is little cover.

So I have really gone 180 on this started with a climber for mobility, but as I get more experience moved to a hang on. I find the better hunting areas (public land) seems to be less conducive to using a climber. Probably a function of the popularity of climbers (so lots of people using same area most conducive to climbers) and in general (not absolute) the lack of quality of cover in areas most conducive to climbers. I do love the ease and portability of that little climber, but I cannot give up the adaptability of sticks. you just never know where the signs will lead and what type of trees are there. Never want to be in a position where I am hunting trees versus deer sign. Check my blog when you can I have a post on this http://therivah.blogspot.com/2011/10/hunting-public-land-part-2-of-2.html

Last edited:

ncbowhunter96

The saddle and climbing sticks is the quietest and quickest way up once you get the hang of it. I've got 2 sets of lone wolf's and one set of muddys.
You're choices of stand sites increases dramatically with the saddle. If the tree can hold your weight. .it's huntable.
The main reason I got mine was to hunt a cut over one season.
Scott Barber 919-761-4230. He works at NC Hunter Supply part-time .He can point you in the right direction if you are looking at using a saddle. Tell him Batman sent you:cool:
I almost sold mine last season and then decided to hold on to it. I don't ever see me parting with it.
How far up the tree do you think 4 muddy twenty inch sticks would get me?? Im about 6'3" and would kinda like to get up twenty feet but I don't know if that's enough??

DJinNC

Banned
assuming you start two feet off the ground and 1 foot between 20" muddy sticks (you are pretty tall):
24+20+12+20+12+20+12+20= 140" or 4 muddy sticks will get you about 11.5 feet (7 muddy sticks to get you up to about 20')

In contrast assuming you start two feet off the ground and foot between 32" Lone Wolf sticks:
24+32+12+32+12+32+12+32= 188" or 4 Lone Wolf sticks will get you about 15.5 feet (5 LW sticks will get you to about 20')

I had 6 sticks (LW) so I could step down onto my stand. I am 5'7" and I can verify that using 6 stacks, I step down to a stand/sling at 21' with comfortable spacing (no extreme stretching).

Last edited:

ncbowhunter96

assuming you start two feet off the ground and 1 foot between 20" muddy sticks (you are pretty tall):
24+20+12+20+12+20+12+20= 140" or 4 muddy sticks will get you about 11.5 feet (7 muddy sticks to get you up to about 20')

In contrast assuming you start two feet off the ground and foot between 32" Lone Wolf sticks:
24+32+12+32+12+32+12+32= 188" or 4 Lone Wolf sticks will get you about 15.5 feet (5 LW sticks will get you to about 20')

I had 6 sticks (LW) so I could step down onto my stand. I am 5'7" and I can verify that using 6 stacks, I step down to a stand/sling at 21' with comfortable spacing (no extreme stretching).

That's what I figured its not very high. I have 4 muddys coming this weekend but I might order more. I should have maybe got the 32 inch lone wolfs but I liked muddys attachment system. Really cool blog Btw,you gunna be doing in during hunting season??

Last edited:

DJinNC

Banned
Yes, work has gotten me really busy over the last 2 years. new things to learn new responsibilities, lots of travel. NOT COMPLAINING. I just value my time more. Ino longer pass a day up because the wind isn't right. weather etc... last year I filled my calendar and got a real look at my possible hunting dates.... really only 12 true opportunities. Got out about 5 times missed one buck and got 3 does. no complaints. I will blog soon so subscribe and listen out.

ncbowhunter96

Yes, work has gotten me really busy over the last 2 years. new things to learn new responsibilities, lots of travel. NOT COMPLAINING. I just value my time more. Ino longer pass a day up because the wind isn't right. weather etc... last year I filled my calendar and got a real look at my possible hunting dates.... really only 12 true opportunities. Got out about 5 times missed one buck and got 3 does. no complaints. I will blog soon so subscribe and listen out.
Subscribed!!!! You still only hunt public land??

DJinNC

Banned
99% yes and with a bow. There are one or two very small patches I am given permission once in a while and last year I went on 2 dog hunts. Any other hunting in the last 5 years... public land/archery. One change up this year, I am going to try to shoot one with a gun.. be a first. All kills to now have been with a bow.

Last edited:

ncbowhunter96

99% yes and with a bow. There are one or two very small patches I am given permission once in a while and last year I went on 2 dog hunts. Any other hunting in the last 5 years... public land/archery. One change up this year, I am going to try to shoot one with a gun.. be a first. All kills to now have been with a bow.
Awesome we have lost a lot of our private land so we are gunna hunt game lands for the first time this year.....Just wondering how hard it is to kill a doe?? For this year that's all I want on game lands.

bellabarrie

Eight Pointer
I am totally intrigued!!! I love my climber but would REALLY appreciate a bit smaller system that is safe and easy to pack in/out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
I use two strap on steps for my first 3-4 feet, followed by 4 lone wolf sticks...can get up to 22 or so feet. Plenty for bow hunting...wouldn't want to be too much higher for good shot angles. Like was said earlier, if the tree can hold your weight you're hunting...whether it's crooked, a thick cedar tree, whatever!

CarolinaWildlife

Ten Pointer
If you want stealth and versatility. .a good set of climbing sticks and a saddle is the way to go.
I was turned on to the saddle by a guy who had back problems and couldn't sit long in a stand.
My tree saddle is the only stand that I've done all day sits in. It's awesome for bow hunting out of. I know it looks awkward but once you get used to it, it's not. Gun hunting is great too. Crossbow.....not so much.

ncbowhunter96

I use two strap on steps for my first 3-4 feet, followed by 4 lone wolf sticks...can get up to 22 or so feet. Plenty for bow hunting...wouldn't want to be too much higher for good shot angles. Like was said earlier, if the tree can hold your weight you're hunting...whether it's crooked, a thick cedar tree, whatever!
32 inch sticks?? thinking of something similar to that.

CarolinaWildlife

Ten Pointer
I've got 2 sets of lone wolf's (the long ones ) and 1 set of muddys.
I like the muddy sticks the best. The two step part at the top helps make a good "platform" for your feet.

bellabarrie

Eight Pointer
With the climbing sticks, is the distance between steps adjustable? At 5'5", my stride is WAY shorter than some of y'all big'uns. Add to that a bum knee from a car accident that makes too much flexion difficult. Are climbing sticks an option for me?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk