Why do they make it so hard to adopt a dog?

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I swear....the AARF people are forcing me to go to a breeder.

First, the application process is strenuous. Then, they make you wait......with no guarantees. A friend sent me a photo of a dog that wandered up to his neighbor's house. I was going over to look at it, yesterday, and he called back and said it had been taken to AARF. I fill out their application (incl. a vet reference!), last night, and email it in. I try to call them all day, and they won't answer their phone. So, I go over there. They tell me the dog's with a foster home, due to parvo quarantine (to see if it has it) and no one can see the dog.

When I contact them on Facebook, they tell me they can't give me a time when I can see the pup. I also can't put a deposit on this dog, because they reserve the right to pick the "best" home. Then, to top it off, they tell me they got another application on this pup, on Saturday. I asked the person how that was possible, since they won't let anyone see it.....and there's no photo of the dog on the site.

Silence.......................................................

We're going to get 2 dogs. We want a purebred and a rescue. I just didn't know it was going to be this hard to get the rescue.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Regulations to make a better world for everybody. Its whats killing this country and people want more and more of them. Go to the flea market and get you a dog. It will save you alot of troubles.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Never paid for a dog before. I'll be danged if I go through the same process we're going through to adopt kids. I understand wanting it to go to a good home, but geez. There's a reason they can't get enough homes....

Windrunner

Twelve Pointer
Never paid for a dog before. I'll be danged if I go through the same process we're going through to adopt kids. I understand wanting it to go to a good home, but geez. There's a reason they can't get enough homes....

Yep. I've run into these issues with wanting to get a rescue horse. Some of em come from horrible conditions and are left to die but my type of fencing isnt good enough etc etc. Then the folks from the rescue want to beg and plead for donations. Sigh.

tmcullen

Personally Craigslist is a good place to rescue a dog. I've got a couple off there and they have been great dogs.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I didn't find it so bad going through the Boykin Spaniel Rescue. Yeah, I had to fill out a moderately lengthy application and get a few references. Typically, they make a home visit to make sure the applicant has adequate yard etc, but since there was no one from the rescue that lived close to me, they just asked me to e mail a picture of my fenced in back yard. We went to visit the dog once, and within a week after the visit, the dog was in our home. We did have to pay a fee, but it wasn't bad.
That being said, I've seen some of the requirements from other Rescues, and yeah, they are ridiculous! Some demand the dog be kept in the house all the time, and if you even hint that you may want to hunt them, your application is jerked. Fortunately, the Boykin Rescue understands what the dogs are bred to do.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Because too many people think they want one, have it for a month and can't handle the responsibility so they take it back or worse, turn it out. I am glad it is difficult to keep the impulse numbskulls at bay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nckeith

Ten Pointer
Went through this last year with a poodle rescue. My first standard is now 16.5 so obviously I take care of him. When I wanted a second I put in for a golden doodle they had and you would swear I was the worst owner ever. We finally persevered but it was a hassle

Willie

Twelve Pointer
Believe there's two or three dogs available in the classifieds. Bet you won't have to subject yourself to the background check and come out ahead with a good dog.

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
You are so right on this. When we adopted our lab mix I recall how much of a hassle it was too. We even had all the vet records from our last dog to prove we were "worthy". I bet it is easier to buy dynamite.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
After loosing one of our labs last fall I started looking at every rescue and place I could think of.
Tried wral classifieds and craigs list.
what a bunch of bull

you send in apps.and make call after call and no one will return anything.
the classifieds you would email only to find that they placed an ad for family or friend then give.numbers to call or want to pass on your info.. never to hear anything.

I really did not want to go for a higher end dog but I found labman on here and I was sold.
he fit the bill. Answered questions after question and is a down to earth guy ex military and that ranks high with me.
I feel like he raises children the labs as family and then give us a shot to have one to add to our family...
better then I found with all the other breaders that raise dog after dog and it is for bottom line.
he sent pic tonight of mine... now if I could just sleep... cant stop talking about and thinking about the pup.

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
All shelters aren't like that, I have heard quite a few are really hard to deal with tho. Check out Person County Animal Services if your nearby. Great people to work with I've heard.

Willie

Twelve Pointer
After loosing one of our labs last fall I started looking at every rescue and place I could think of.
Tried wral classifieds and craigs list.
what a bunch of bull

you send in apps.and make call after call and no one will return anything.
the classifieds you would email only to find that they placed an ad for family or friend then give.numbers to call or want to pass on your info.. never to hear anything.

I really did not want to go for a higher end dog but I found labman on here and I was sold.
he fit the bill. Answered questions after question and is a down to earth guy ex military and that ranks high with me.
I feel like he raises children the labs as family and then give us a shot to have one to add to our family...
better then I found with all the other breaders that raise dog after dog and it is for bottom line.
he sent pic tonight of mine... now if I could just sleep... cant stop talking about and thinking about the pup.

So you did end up getting one? Cool!

darenative

Twelve Pointer
We went through that mess about 5-6 years back trying to adopt after one of our labs had to be put down. After jumping through hoops for weeks, we finally threw in the towel and contacted a breeder in PA and drove up and got our new pup.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

This man right here knows! I have friends who have become foster parents and the regulations for fostering and adopting are ridiculous.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
Yep. My Uncle was a reasonably independent schizophrenic who always had a dog he took great care of. The last time he tried to adopt a shelter dog his application was denied. He was devastated. So the next day my Pop went down to the shelter, lied on the paperwork and gave the
Dog to my uncle. At that time the dog was due to be put down in two days! They thought dead was better than a cushy life with my Uncle! They had a long and happy lofe together. It is crazy. My own Mom is a breeder and some of her requirements seem excessive to me, though she is ALWAYS willing to take a dog back.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Check out the Warren County Animal Ark if you are just looking for a mutt. We got our dog Pete there and it was forty bucks and a promise to get him clipped. Good dog and the folks there were happy to see him go to a good home.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Regulations to make a better world for everybody. Its whats killing this country and people want more and more of them. Go to the flea market and get you a dog. It will save you alot of troubles.

What regulations? AARF is a non-profit organization. They created their own onerous process. The government didn't.

PickinTicks

Eight Pointer
We just adopted our rescue beagle 3 months ago from Triangle Beagle. Filled out application, paid $350 (covers getting them fixed also), had a phone interview and had to answer 10 questions. Then they sent someone to inspect our house, property and asked more questions. Then we signed a contract that committed us to certain medical tests/procedures by specific dates. We have completed all of our vet tests and procedures per the contract and we're happy to have another beagle butt in the house.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I will never again try to adopt a dog after the last time. you are SOL if you have a "in tact" dog in the house.. did lead to a very comical exchange with some shelter wench though..

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I will never again try to adopt a dog after the last time. you are SOL if you have a "in tact" dog in the house.. did lead to a very comical exchange with some shelter wench though..
I know this is off topic but I get a little testy when I take my dogs to a vet and the first thing a vet student asks is "this dog spayed or neutered". Duh, if it is a male lift his tail and look.

Second, they could take the time to look at my chart and know that I have champion bred dogs and use them for stud service. I take appropriate procedures with culls. Now in my personal vet's defense he is super professional, knows my dogs and my situation and never has ever done anything but been first class to me. But this all transpired before I landed with him. I had been taking my house dog in on a regular basis to have his anal glands expressed. This same young female vet I guess got the short straw and got me every time. She would start off with the "is he intact" spill every time. I finally go so tired of explaining that yes he was and I wasn't ready to neuter him at this time and she wouldn't let it drop that I was primed for her this one visit. Right on course she started with the spill and I said yes he is intact and no I am not ready to neuter him. Well after her obligatory spill on why I should do the procedure she went right back like a stuck tape and I stopped her. I said mam are you spayed? She gasped and stepped back and asked me what I said. I repeated myself and she said that was none of my business, I said exactly right, and neither is his balls. Now get on with the business at hand. Funny I never saw her again. :rolleyes: But when I would go in I did see her behind the counter or pass her in the hall and she wouldn't even make eye contact with me.

Last edited:

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I know this is off topic but I get a little testy when I take my dogs to a vet and the first thing a vet student asks is "this dog spayed or neutered". Duh, if it is a male lift his tail and look.

Second, they could take the time to look at my chart and know that I have champion bred dogs and use them for stud service. I take appropriate procedures with culls. Now in my personal vet's defense he is super professional, knows my dogs and my situation and never has ever done anything but been first class to me. But this all transpired before I landed with him. I had been taking my house dog in on a regular basis to have his anal glands expressed. This same young female vet I guess got the short straw and got me every time. She would start off with the "is he intact" spill every time. I finally go so tired of explaining that yes he was and I wasn't ready to neuter him at this time and she wouldn't let it drop that I was primed for her this one visit. Right on course she started with the spill and I said yes he is intact and no I am not ready to neuter him. Well after her obligatory spill on why I should do the procedure she went right back like a stuck tape and I stopped her. I said mam are you spayed? She gasped and stepped back and asked me what I said. I repeated myself and she said that was none of my business, I said exactly right, and neither is his balls. Now get on with the business at hand. Funny I never saw her again. :rolleyes: But when I would go in I did see her behind the counter or pass her in the hall and she wouldn't even make eye contact with me.

Probably the funniest thing I've read all day, lol.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I remember a news story where PETA went around adopting all the animals they could. They then had them all euthanized. A animal is better dead then in a life of subserviance to a human.