Best predator call

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
Ok so I have been offered a deal with a local farmer. He has offered to pay for half of an electronic caller for me if I kill coyotes on his farm. I want the best one I can get so he will see results. I have borrowed a fox pro before and called up foxes and raccoons. What works good here in this great state. Serious replys only .

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
electric? reckon foxpro,,,,really like mine,,,,,,,,

but prefer mouth calls most of the time,,,,,,,

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
pay for the whole thing yourself, then you wont have to listen to him saying "When are you going to kill one." :)
foxpro will do fine.

nc rabbit hunter

Fox pro! Just remember that the call is only a small part of trying to kill a yote.I would buy it myself,just to be on the safeside!

brigademade

Primos Turbo Dogg... I used this one for a while and loved it. Price isn't too bad and is louder then...

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I have a Western Rivers and like it, but I would recommend Fox Pro. You can get a lot better sounds for the Fox Pro. Like others have said, buy it yourself. If he pays for half of it, he's expecting to see the dead yotes pile up. And anyone who has done much predator calling in NC can tell you that it ain't quite that simple, especially if you are calling the same property all the time.

tk26

Six Pointer
I have a Foxpro and mouth calls. What you call with isn't near as important as your setup.

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a Foxpro and mouth calls. What you call with isn't near as important as your setup.

I know a very successful coyote hunter and that is his whole exact deal.

What he has discovered is a combination of things that include:
1) Have your no-scent game on. Their nose makes a deer's nose seem like a joke
2) For him, a calling sequence is relatively low in volume and rather minimal. Maybe something like 15-30 seconds pretty low volume, wait 5 min and repeat at low to lo-mid volume for a couple minutes, wait 5 min and again at pretty low volume for a minute or so. These are for death squalls. Coyote vocalizations can be a lot less than that for results.
3) Expect the coyote to present from the lowest possible ground in your 360 degrees. This is more often than not. Pick the setup and the wind to make this work. There will be exceptions.
4) They are easy to educate. Don't over-call, don't over-pressure.
5) One of his tricks is to set up at night with the call at his feet and all lights turned out. He calls and waits in the dark and listens for their approach.
6) If you as much as get a shot at one and especially if you get one, blow a 'wounded pup distress' call either with FoxBang or the hand call around your neck.

One soon enough figures out why they multiply.

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I have predator called for years and have just recently about given it up as I have killed enough predators to have my fix but maybe i will get the urge to go back out this Jan and feb.....I always loved February as the Bobcats are searching for mates and the foxes were always hungry.....

anyway my favorite call was and is a Lohman Circle c ..it has a low mid and a high call on it . But when i think or know an animal is close i use a mouse squealer taped to the forearm of my gun.

The one mistake i made for years was not calling loud enough....i killed alot of predators but not nearly as much as when i went louder. I learned this one day when a fox was chasing a rabbit around my deer stand. after a good run the fox caught that rabbit and the squeals that rabbit made i dont think you could blow into a mouth call that loud.
my kills went way up when i went louder. but you have to know when to go soft. you can see the Lohman hanging on my neck in attached photo.

Never tried a electronic called as i considered it cheating, plus the way i hunt i run and gun and its easier to move alot with a mouth call.

chathambobcat.jpg

Last edited:

ncboman

Good thread.

Best call I ever used was a Burnham Bros S-2 mouth call.