Live from the dove field opening day

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Question for LastTombstone: How do you cook peanut butter sammiches? Never tried them cooked so would like to try it. LOL.

Haven't dove hunted in years, I know where a few are using. Is the season open state wide? And besides a lifetime license what are the other requirements. I haven't even picked up one of the 2014-2015 Regulation Digest. Best of luck to those luck enough to be out hunting.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Question for LastTombstone: How do you cook peanut butter sammiches? Never tried them cooked so would like to try it. LOL.

Haven't dove hunted in years, I know where a few are using. Is the season open state wide? And besides a lifetime license what are the other requirements. I haven't even picked up one of the 2014-2015 Regulation Digest. Best of luck to those luck enough to be out hunting.

Larry, it is open statewide, starting 1/2 hr. before sunrise. All you need is a license and the HIP certification (free - just a survey on your previous year migratory bird harvest).

Holler if you need a "guide" :)

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Larry...... I don't know how to cook one either. Was just hopeing someone cooking boston butts would have pity on me. LOL.

Doves flew good first thing this morning and it pretty much dried up after 11:00 am. Had over 110 people show up. Absolute awesome day. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409617432.730362.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1409617453.881537.jpg

Looking forward to do it again next year.

Proverbs 27:17

Parker

Sandy Mush was a bust as far as I could tell this morning. Got there and set up about 0710. Didn't hear gunfire till about 0745 and then it was 1-5 shots every 30-45 minutes. All in another field further down the valley from us.
Dad speculates with his buddy from SC that they're not down from up north yet. But seeing these (few) successful photos from some folks in the :lowlands" of NC I am almost afraid they've already moved to lower altitudes/south of us, we did have a week or two where it was starting to feel good before the temperature spiked again for this weekend.

Has anyone experienced a year where the season just fell too late?

wolfpacker

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
i got the limit but it took all day. Lots of birds they just weren't flying like a typical opening day. Didn't have too many easy shots. Still one of my favorite days of the year

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
First year hunting dove on public lands at Butner yesterday. turned out to be a crock of crap. Shot about 4 shells on long shots and took home 1 dove. It was banded which was cool. Might try and get out their again one afternoon this week or something.

nc rabbit hunter

My friends do really good the second half of season.Its cool and birds are plenty!!

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We had out annual NWTF Chapter shoot yesterday in Linwood, probably about 70 birds killed from 20 hunters, so a pretty slow and hot day for the most part. Lunch of dove breast stuffed with cream cheese,sausage and jalapenos was awesome, hamburgers, hotdogs and all the fixens made the slow hunting acceptable.
It was alot of fun for all, except for the 92 degree heat.

WilsonHunter04

Eight Pointer
sounds like me! haha my buddy hunting the same field limited out before 9:30 and I was hunting the same field and killed nothing because I couldn't shoot worth a lick. I'm going to go saturday and restart haha.

BigStrutter

Twelve Pointer
Got 7 yesterday at my club in Virginia but the pine thicket claimed 3 of them. Best part was it was my son's first dove hunt. He was blazing away like a pro with his little Davidson .410 double barrel. He was even quicker than my old man!! I always enjoy a dove hunt even with the heat. I'm probably gonna try late season a couple times this year just for fun.
5573a6edc7cdd245f4aa21c4d28515ed.jpg

Ned

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns
sounds like me! haha my buddy hunting the same field limited out before 9:30 and I was hunting the same field and killed nothing because I couldn't shoot worth a lick. I'm going to go saturday and restart haha.

Don't feel bad man, when I was younger I shot 80 times and killed 3 birds one day. As long as I'm shooting I'm having fun.

hrlbuxandduks

we had a slow morning picked up 32 between 12 hunters evening things heated up from 430-630 few hunters left some more joined we picked up 172 in the afternoon

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
IBGreen Now that definitely is different from any peanut butter sammich I've ever seen. Next time you make them could I come watch how you do it???????

wncdeerhunter: Well I don't have the HIP certificate. I suppose I could check the Digest and find out how to get it but not sure it's worth it. I was varmint hunting last week when I saw several dove come into a feed lot where they feed cattle in the winter time. I think there is some salt blocks there now so probably illegal to hunt over them but nothing I would think that would prohibit me from setting up under their fly way. Bottom line is I only saw a half dozen total. No grains being grown around here anymore, in fact very little farming so about the only doves I ever see are those that come to the bird feeders and probably not a good idea to try and shoot them coming into or leaving someone's bird feeders. LOL.

Wouldn't mind a good day of dove shooting. Haven't done that since about 1959-1962. Used to visit a friends farm in Mesa, Arizona. His farming consisted of growing commercial bird seed crops. He wanted them all killed and we tried but didn't even put a dent in them. LOL. There were literally thousands of them. Not sure about back then (the statute of limitations has bound to have expired by now LOL) but we reloaded our own shotgun shells. Carried our shells to the field in a peck bucket. When we finished a morning hunt we would take the doves to a local restaurant and sell them. We would use the money to buy more reloading (shot, powder, wads, primers) supplies.

Best part of those hunts is that we always kept "several" and my friends grandmother would cook them for us. Worst part is after a hunt we had to rush off to the local pub (The Wooden Nickle) to chase girls and I was to dumb to learn from that grandmother how she fixed them. They were on the same eating level as my grilled deer tenderloins, FINGER LICKING GOOD.

Wish I could convey this lesson to everyone. If you find someone that makes a dish you especially like STOP, slow down and find out from them how they did it. That is one of the things I most regret not doing when I was younger. Now that I'm beyond OLD that is one of the things I most wish I had done when I had the opportunity. If you live long enough you will realize that there are some things that are just as important as chasing girls. In fact there probably will come a time when you don't even chase girls anymore, you just hope you accidentally bump into them because you are to old to "chase" anymore. Hehehehehehe. And unfortunately the people who made those dishes I liked best are no longer with us to show me how they did it.

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
IBGreen Now that definitely is different from any peanut butter sammich I've ever seen. Next time you make them could I come watch how you do it???????

wncdeerhunter: Well I don't have the HIP certificate. I suppose I could check the Digest and find out how to get it but not sure it's worth it. I was varmint hunting last week when I saw several dove come into a feed lot where they feed cattle in the winter time. I think there is some salt blocks there now so probably illegal to hunt over them but nothing I would think that would prohibit me from setting up under their fly way. Bottom line is I only saw a half dozen total. No grains being grown around here anymore, in fact very little farming so about the only doves I ever see are those that come to the bird feeders and probably not a good idea to try and shoot them coming into or leaving someone's bird feeders. LOL.

Wouldn't mind a good day of dove shooting. Haven't done that since about 1959-1962. Used to visit a friends farm in Mesa, Arizona. His farming consisted of growing commercial bird seed crops. He wanted them all killed and we tried but didn't even put a dent in them. LOL. There were literally thousands of them. Not sure about back then (the statute of limitations has bound to have expired by now LOL) but we reloaded our own shotgun shells. Carried our shells to the field in a peck bucket. When we finished a morning hunt we would take the doves to a local restaurant and sell them. We would use the money to buy more reloading (shot, powder, wads, primers) supplies.

Best part of those hunts is that we always kept "several" and my friends grandmother would cook them for us. Worst part is after a hunt we had to rush off to the local pub (The Wooden Nickle) to chase girls and I was to dumb to learn from that grandmother how she fixed them. They were on the same eating level as my grilled deer tenderloins, FINGER LICKING GOOD.

Wish I could convey this lesson to everyone. If you find someone that makes a dish you especially like STOP, slow down and find out from them how they did it. That is one of the things I most regret not doing when I was younger. Now that I'm beyond OLD that is one of the things I most wish I had done when I had the opportunity. If you live long enough you will realize that there are some things that are just as important as chasing girls. In fact there probably will come a time when you don't even chase girls anymore, you just hope you accidentally bump into them because you are to old to "chase" anymore. Hehehehehehe. And unfortunately the people who made those dishes I liked best are no longer with us to show me how they did it.

Just go to WalMart and they will ask you a few questions then add it to your license. 3-4 minutes max if you can find anyone at the gun counter!