I believe that God wants me to be healthy

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
Once again we have to remind ourselves of where we are. On this earth there is disease, sickness, accidents, and catastrophes. On every headstone that I've ever seen there are dates that mark birth into this world and departure from this world. Between those dates there is usually a hyphen or if you will a dash. That dash represents our time on this earth, and a dash is about all there is when you make it relative to how long the earth has been here. That being said we all have at least two things in common, we were all born and we are all going to die unless the rapture happens before we die. If we die then something is going to kill us, whether it be a sickness, disease, an accident, suicide, or our bodies just wear out it will eventually happen. In the meantime God wants us to enjoy our dash and be in good health.

Our health is not unlike anything else in life we have choices to make concerning how much abuse or how much care we give our bodies. No offense to anyone, it's your decision that you have every right to make, but one cannot expect to live a long healthy life if they smoke three packs a day, drink a twelve pack a day, eat a poor diet, and never exercise. So what about children that get cancer, or what about the guy or lady who did everything right concerning health issues and dropped dead at forty? Remember that dash? Well that dash is shorter for some than for others and there is no earthly answer as to why some people have less time than others. Deut. 29:29 says that the secret things belong to God, and the question of when we are called home to be with Him belong in that secret place.

I have learned, as I enter into my seventh decade, to give little thought as to what will kill me or the time when I am called home. I have always taken care of my body and I am healthy and in great shape for someone my age. I believe that faith and attitude has as much to do with being in good health as anything. I believe that God wants us to be healthy, Is. 53:5 says that by His stripes we are healed, God wants us healthy because our body is God's temple 1st Cor. 19:20, Acts 1:8 says that we are to be a witness to others, a healthy body into old age is a good witness of what God has done for us.

We were bought for a price, Jesus paid that price so our bodies are valuable to God. The Holy Spirit lives inside our bodies so there is no reason to believe that God doesn't want us healthy. Still we have to remember where we are and that this place is filled with enemies against our bodies as well as our soul. We will all eventually die or be raptured out of here but while living out our dash God wants us healthy and we should do our part to be that way.

Blessings,

ZG

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
And yet, the all-powerful and sovereign God we serve has ordained for some, through no fault of their own, to NOT be healthy - to live this life with affliction whether developed or from birth. He is all-powerful, all-knowing, completely sovereign, and ultimately responsible for everything that happens on earth and in heaven. Nothing slips by him or is an accident, and nothing ever happens except that He allows it.

Now replace health with money, success, or any other circumstance and the situation is still the same. We all have different circumstances in life. Some healthy, some not. Some wealthy, some not. Some successful and well esteemed, some not. God tells Paul (when he was afflicted), "My power is made perfect in your weakness."

It is not our circumstances that define us but rather our identity in Christ. In Christ we find our joy and meaning and purpose and identity. So whether in good health or bad, whether rich or poor, whether esteemed or unnoticed, our identity is ultimately found in Christ.

"When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.
"

The elephant in the room regarding the "If you are obedient, God will bless you" teaching is that it implies (since God wants all to be healthy and wealthy) if you aren't outwardly blessed on this earth, then you must have strayed from the shower head of blessing through disobedience. The truth is that those individuals throughout history who were the MOST obedient and surrendered their own will completely to God suffered the worst of fates (by earthly standards). A quick glimpse of the lives of OT prophets and NT apostles - even today's missionaries to dark and hostile countries - will show that those who follow in complete obedience to God often endure some of the worst earthly circumstances in this life. Truly, "the world was not worthy of them."

To examine this to it's fullness, let's choose the most obedient person in human history - the one who said he DID nothing and SAID nothing except that which the Father told him. That man had no home, no wife or family, his friends deserted him, his siblings thought he was crazy and a fake, he had no money, no job, no status, no physical attractiveness, he grew up in a disreputable town among a persecuted people, and through the ultimate act of obedience was brutally tortured and died on a cross.

If only he could have taken hold of the blessings God "wanted" for him… to experience God's favor and be healthy and blessed.

Last edited:

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Good response skyhawk.

ZG, where is grace in all this business? Why is the prosperity gospel almost entirely a North American message? Jesus had ample opportunity to clear much of this up but it seems that he didn't. The NT hardly gives you much cover for your belief, and it seems you rely heavily on OT promises to the Jews. Wrong "dispensation."

I think the ring of truth is not found in the prosperity gospel which you adhere to; I think the ring of truth is in a life of suffering for the gospel, being conformed to the image of Christ through trial and hardship, and that spiritual blessings comprise most of the promises given to us in Scripture.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
Each of my posts is clearly stated as to what I believe and how I live my life. If you do or don't agree that is your right to do so.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
I believe I covered that in the second paragraph, why some suffer is left to the secrets of God.
I'm sorry.....don't think I'm trying to stir up anything, but "the secrets of god?" Really? God does not keep secrets from his servants. The answers to anything we ask are in the Bible....it just takes effort on our part to find it sometimes. I'm sure we would both agree that everything in the Bible is inspired by God and put there for our benefit. If that is the case, of what benefit could it be if we were not supposed to understand it? As a loving God, which by your other post i know you believe, he would not leave us with the inability to answer important questions like that. That would not be loving. He encourages us to search out the answers

1 Cor 14:20
Do not become young children in your understanding...become full grown in your understanding.