Petsmart you got to be kidding me!

firestomper247

Six Pointer
Well me and the wifie decided to go to petsmart to pick up a few things because we are getting a new puppy tomorrow. I walk in and get to looking at collars, leashes, food, and treats for the new dog. Wow!!! I learned real quick that it will be cheaper to feed the dog T-bone steaks daily than to buy their food. Treats 25.00 for a bag smaller than a bag that rubber fishing worms come in. I just happen to take in a few minutes of their obedience class that had going on and learned that if you get the digs attention you need to shove one of those 25.00 treats down their throat. Boy things sure have changed since I had a puppy 10 years ago. I guess if people seen how I treated the rabbit dogs I had I would be serving a life sentence or would have gotten the needle by now. What happened to making a dog mind you and pay attention with corrections and a stern voice? Don't get me wrong I am not the kind of person to beat an animal or mistreat one but this shoving treats down their mouth when the look at you is crazy. When the dog wasn't chomping on the treat it was about to pull the leash out of the owners hand. I just laughed and walked away. Needless to say I will do my own training and guarantee my dog will be more well mannered than any that graduate from there!

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
You are right and its sad. I started with a book by Richard A. Walters and never used a treat when training my dog. If you earn the dogs respect they will be eager to please, a good boy and a bumper throw was all it took to thank my dog.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My wife was in charge of the fall festival at the school she used to teach at. One game is the gold fish toss. set up 16 wine glasses and toss a ping pong ball into one and win a gold fish. Pure money maker. 4 - $0.25 tickets. We were buying gold fish for less than 20 cent. Pet store closed, so we called Petsmart, asked them about order 200 gold fish, and they said that their policy was not to sale to carnival/festivals. Said they did not support torture of animals and that is what happened at those events, and explained that they didn't sale feeder mice either. oh well, I found a local pet store and she said, oh yea, when you need them. I explained to her what Petsmart had told me, she looked at me and said, "they are feeder fish"

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The scary part of this narrative is that many of these misguided folks bring up their children with the same mindless strategies.

I used the Koehler Method on a hard-headed Chessie that I used to have and it worked just fine.

Last edited:

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Cheap training treats that dogs love: Those little cheese fish crackers. $25 is ridiculous for dog treats. I'd rather buy something that both the dog and I BOTH can eat and pay a whole lot less for it. For that kind of price, you could buy a bunch of dried jerky, or even some real meat as a treat and get more for your money.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Didn't y'all know dogs had humans. It's really crazy.

41magfan, I have to say your right our society has become a reward one. It is a large part of the problem we have today.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I make turkey jerky for my dogs as snacks all the time. The one dog has skin allergies and is allergic to beef. I used to buy the duck jerky in Petsmart until I found out it came from China and dogs were dying from it.

BigCountry40

Six Pointer
The scary part of this narrative is that many of these misguided folks bring up their children with the same mindless strategies.

I used the Koehler Method on a hard-headed Chessie that I used to have and it worked just fine.

Tell me about it, I have to teach these kids. I am a strong believer in the Bob Knight and General Patton method and parents want me to give candy every time little Johnny writes his name on his paper. Our kids and pets are getting too soft.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
This is but one example of a retailer proliferating the liberalization of America. Uber high prices for "organic" or "special" treats for a pet that otherwise would be just as happy with a goldfish or animal cracker for pennies on the dollar. Unfortunately society as a whole has been indoctrinated into this mindset making it difficult for those of us with some common sense and a true appreciation of a dollar to purchase otherwise standard items these days.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
One of the best treats I have found for my dogs is a cut up raw sweet potato.The idea of paying $25 bucks for some dog treats is crazy. That said I do tend to spoil my dogs---the older I get it seems I care more for them than most people.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That would require people having to mix ingredients, read/ follow directions and wash a bowl or two. That is way to much work for our instant gratification society.

absolutely on the money. My best friend is a great deer hunter and takes several a year. He also buys the liver treats for his bloodhound because she has lots of "issues" that prevent using just about anything else as a treat. These darn things are $40.00 for a small bucket of them.
I asked him a few months ago if he still had his $400.00 dehydrator, which he does.....I then asked if he couldn't simply cut up the deer liver(which he throws away)and dehydrate it and store them in the freezer for freshness and save hundreds of dollars a year. He said it was "too much trouble"...so I left it alone, can't pull chicken teeth.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
absolutely on the money. My best friend is a great deer hunter and takes several a year. He also buys the liver treats for his bloodhound because she has lots of "issues" that prevent using just about anything else as a treat. These darn things are $40.00 for a small bucket of them.
I asked him a few months ago if he still had his $400.00 dehydrator, which he does.....I then asked if he couldn't simply cut up the deer liver(which he throws away)and dehydrate it and store them in the freezer for freshness and save hundreds of dollars a year. He said it was "too much trouble"...so I left it alone, can't pull chicken teeth.

Comes down to what value he puts on his time... I feel that way about a garden.. could I grow one, yep.. if I needed to.. would it save me money.. yep.. is it worth the time it would take.. NOPE, not to me.. I have other things I would rather spend the time doing, some of them making money, some spending it.

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Comes down to what value he puts on his time... I feel that way about a garden.. could I grow one, yep.. if I needed to.. would it save me money.. yep.. is it worth the time it would take.. NOPE, not to me.. I have other things I would rather spend the time doing, some of them making money, some spending it.

Yep..he lives alone and values watching reruns The Price is Right and CSI much more than I would if I were in the same position.
You can't live other folks lives for them, and you shouldn't try..that's why I just smile and move on. :D

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Well me and the wifie decided to go to petsmart to pick up a few things because we are getting a new puppy tomorrow. I walk in and get to looking at collars, leashes, food, and treats for the new dog. Wow!!! I learned real quick that it will be cheaper to feed the dog T-bone steaks daily than to buy their food. Treats 25.00 for a bag smaller than a bag that rubber fishing worms come in. I just happen to take in a few minutes of their obedience class that had going on and learned that if you get the digs attention you need to shove one of those 25.00 treats down their throat. Boy things sure have changed since I had a puppy 10 years ago. I guess if people seen how I treated the rabbit dogs I had I would be serving a life sentence or would have gotten the needle by now. What happened to making a dog mind you and pay attention with corrections and a stern voice? Don't get me wrong I am not the kind of person to beat an animal or mistreat one but this shoving treats down their mouth when the look at you is crazy. When the dog wasn't chomping on the treat it was about to pull the leash out of the owners hand. I just laughed and walked away. Needless to say I will do my own training and guarantee my dog will be more well mannered than any that graduate from there!

That is how some very lazy people parent too. If their child does what they are supposed to, they get an iphone or laptop or new car........

But, we are el-cheapo..we buy foodlion brand dog food and treats. If they are lucky enough to get a bone, it because it is deer season and I gave it to them.

Last edited:

boomer

Twelve Pointer
Did they try to sell you their grain free dog food, it is made with cereal, bran and rice, but contains no grain.What a joke of a place, I try not to go to petsmart.

chrisj0616

I make my own dog treats in the dehydrator. Actually I just made some today after processing my deer from Tuesday I put the scrap meat and sinew in the dehydrator for 12 to 24 hours I got right at 5 pounds of treats from it and do this with all the deer I kill and process he also gets some organs and the bones.

miketphoto

Eight Pointer
Best dog treat I have found at the store is plain old cow liver. $1.69 a pack. 2 packs lasts a week for my three. Can't beat it. I also save all the scraps when I process a deer and make dog treats out of that too.

ms.tmc2506

I worked in the pet industry a long time. I saw people who had no job and on fixed incomes spend excessive amounts of money on their pets. This is why Pet Smart can charge outrageous prices for unnecessary stuff.

jr44

agree with 'treein dixie', all I've ever used is animal crackers and gold fish snacks from dollar store!, you gotta be pretty good to convince me dogs even have taste buds!! haha