Best second weapon for hunting

pir8rn

Six Pointer
So I have a Marlin 336 in .30-30 for hunting. Pretty much all I hunt (at least the foreseeable future) is whitetails in NC. I feel like this gun a very versatile in this pursuit, good out to about 130 yards. Add in the Leverevolution ammo and a decent scope and range can extend to 250 or so, which is most of what I would hunt, or at least what I would feel comfortable shooting at anything other than paper...

Just want to hear advice for my next weapon- gun, bow, crossbow, Crocodile Dundee knife?!

I am leaning towards a compound bow, as I don't think another rifle does much else for my interests at this time. I don't need a .300 Win Mag as I don't plan on hunting anything that big anytime soon...
I feel like the bow would be a nice challenge and change of pace from a rifle, and it obviously extends the season a bit. Anybody think differently? Any particular brand to look for?

EGrdneck

In the ways of zombie and redneckrockerdude.....going in the nude with a bowie knife seems to be a good option...however i prefer a trident

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In the ways of zombie and redneckrockerdude.....going in the nude with a bowie knife seems to be a good option...however i prefer a trident

That would be horrifying to see. A bow is a good option to try. 10 times harder at times.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
A bow definitely will extend your season and add some challenge. Another fun thing is long range hunting, however its not for the feint of heart since the cost on a long range glass/rifle is very high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Bow in addition to a rifle, you can hunt every day of the season. As for brands I don't have a clue. I still use my outdated High Country, which still adequately kills deer.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
A bow,,, a good baseline compound will not be that much,,,, you will learn new skills, perhaps some patience, as well as get a decent workout on select muscle groups if you shoot alot,,, a good session with a bow shooting relaxed with a friend can be a good stress reliever as well.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, you will learn quite a bit about animal anatomy also. Heart shots vary quite a bit. Especially on bear and hogs.

pir8rn

Six Pointer
So in general, from the few serious responses so far, looks like a standard compound bow is a good idea. I was also looking into a crossbow...

Natural Flight Ryan

The crossbow will be easier to use and get you in the woods faster, but I think you'll get a lot more enjoyment out of the compound.

whitefeather

Six Pointer
I also believe you will enjoy the compound more you really don't have to put it up at the end of the year, 3d shoots usually start at the end of deer season and run till deer season starts back up, it's a great way to stay tuned up.

PWR-WGN

I would sell every rifle I owned before I sold my bow. After the initial start up cost, its cheap and fun to shoot. After that first kill with a bow, you're hooked for life!

foolish

Six Pointer
Well for one I can't understand why anyone would own just one rifle , shotgun, muzzle loader, bow, pistol. ......
Anyway if you Don't have a shotgun that would be my choice follow by a compound.

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
I have thought this through and through. If all a man is going to do is deer hunt a muzzeloader and a compound bow would work fine. But in your situation my next weapon would be a bow.

MoBucks

Old Mossy Horns
I'd go with an ECU running or passing play.....it absolutely destroys goats...should work on deer as well. :)

22LR

Twelve Pointer
I would sell every rifle I owned before I sold my bow. After the initial start up cost, its cheap and fun to shoot. After that first kill with a bow, you're hooked for life!
Bowhunting will teach one self control and discipline. If you become a proficient bowhunter gun hunting seems alot easier.

pir8rn

Six Pointer
Thanks for the input so far guys. I do own a break-action .410 shotgun, but I'm not really counting that.

Looks like a decent, entry-level compound bow is a good choice. Not knocking a crossbow, but I feel like learning the technique for a compound bow would be a better pursuit for me, personally.

The only other thing I might consider is a sidearm, since I don't currently carry...

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Sidearm = Ruger Super Blackhawk. 44 mag, easy to hand load up for game and lower fps for plinking.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not one mention of a traditional recurve or longbow? I'm hurt....
If you're looking for simplicity and you enjoy shooting they're a ton of fun. Someone said that the bad thing about shooting traditional is that you have to shoot a lot to become proficient and the good thing is that you have to shoot a lot to become proficient!

pir8rn

Six Pointer
Anybody have input on this one here?
Its the Barnett Vortex Hunter. Draw length 26-30 (mine is about 28), draw weight 45-60 (which is more than enough to poke Bambi). Billed as a youth/ladies/beginner bow, but has some great reviews and several say it isn't just for kids... At $200 minus the 10% off promo code and $30 mail-in rebate, makes it $150 total. Seems like it could be a nice little entry level set up to get me in the game...

Last edited:

Baxter

Twelve Pointer
Anybody have input on this one here?
Its the Barnett Vortex Hunter. Draw length 26-30 (mine is about 28), draw weight 45-60 (which is more than enough to poke Bambi). Billed as a youth/ladies/beginner bow, but has some great reviews and several say it isn't just for kids... At $200 minus the 10% off promo code and $30 mail-in rebate, makes it $150 total. Seems like it could be a nice little entry level set up to get me in the game...

check archerytalk.

pir8rn

Six Pointer
I did look at Archerytalk and most people seem to be knocking it because its not a $700 bow. Didn't see many people that actually shoot it say anything. Just wondering if anyone here had tried it...

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
Compaired to cars I'd say thats a yugo,,,,, simply to much for to little, of course I still hunt with a 10+ year old Martin Bobcat single cam so I'm bad out of the loop,, I figure its a Toyota,,,, Never cared much for overpriced BMW's.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
All that is great as long at you are healthy, when you are still 10' tall and bulletproof things look a little different. Age tends to give you a little different perspective though.