Game Lands Question

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
On 3 day per week Gls, can you scout on the off days? also, on Mitchell River and Perkins, can you carry concealed? looking in the regs and not seeing anything about scouting off days, and not seeing perkins or mitchell river listed as no carry...but just wanted to be sure... Was hoping to scout both this week.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Yes, you can scout. Just be sure you don't have a weapon in easy access. I'm not sure how the CCW stuff works in this situation.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Maybe you guys could explain that to the warden that wrote me a warning last year on Perkins for scouting on Friday. He didn't care about my concealed handgun but was a little put out that I was on a 3 day per week game land.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
The way he explained it to me was that it was de facto trespassing because the land is only available to the public on 3 days of the week. He was very nice and professional and so was I and that may be why I only got the warning instead of a ticket for trespassing.
Within the first 30 seconds of the encounter I disclosed the fact that I had a concealed handgun and a permit, but he only acknowledged the fact and never asked for my permit or where the gun was.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
as pointed out it depends on the rules of the gameland,,,,,,,,,,for example the Sandhills gets used on off days by plenty of hikers, backpackers, horse riders, and fisherman,,,,,,,,,,all depends

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
GW up here told me it was good to go 7 days a week, for scouting. Maybe check with your local one since there are some inconsistencies?

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Maybe you guys could explain that to the warden that wrote me a warning last year on Perkins for scouting on Friday. He didn't care about my concealed handgun but was a little put out that I was on a 3 day per week game land.

Page 65 of the current digest:

"Three-day-per-week areas: Gamelands on which any game may be hunted unless otherwise noted. Open days are Mondays, Wednesdays, Saturdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, and Martin Luther King Jr. days. These areas are closed to HUNTING (emphasis added) in other days of the week, unless specifically opened under the individual gamelands listings. Falconry may be practiced on Sundays."

There is no prohibition there to scouting. Your game warden was incorrect.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So your saying I can exercise dogs, training, etc on those off days since that practice has been proven in court not to be hunting? Wanna bet how long you would get in there before you would be stopped and cited?

Last edited:

gamehunter

Old Mossy Horns
ya the GW was wrong.... i ran into them all the time in the central nc gamelands and never had an issue with scouting on close days

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
So your saying I can exercise dogs, training, etc on those off days since that practice has been proven in court not to be hunting? Wanna bet how long you would get in there before you would be stopped and cited?

Dogs tend to be a gray area, though I know folks that run their deer dogs in Holly Shelter on off days. They leave their weapons at home, though. Fox dogs would be a different matter because of the nature of the hunt. You'd have a harder time proving that you're not "hunting" if you're using dogs, versus just scouting.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Go ask all the horse back riders on the Sandhill gameland.
Don't have to, the ones at Perkins found out the hard way. Even by going back in the "off days" walking around. They kinda messed up that place for everyone. Of course blocking a state road etc and in general taking over the whole GL sooner or later they had it coming.

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Found my answer. Emailed Ncwildlife.

Email:
Mr. Mabe,

You are allowed to scout on off days as long as you do not carry a weapon.

Christopher N. Dawes Piedmont EcoRegion Supervisor Division of Engineering and Lands Management N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
Found my answer. Emailed Ncwildlife.

Email:
Mr. Mabe,

You are allowed to scout on off days as long as you do not carry a weapon.

Christopher N. Dawes Piedmont EcoRegion Supervisor Division of Engineering and Lands Management N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission

Pretty well established there. I'd print that out and laminate it, otherwise you might run afoul of the internet legal experts.

GrizzlyBear

Old Mossy Horns

Being cited doesn't mean he's correct or that you are guilty.