Game Lands: First Time

rudisillnolan

I have always hunted on private land, but this year, since starting at State, I am going to be closer to some Game Lands, never hunted on them before, read most of the stuff in the regulations digest but looking for any advice from someone whose hunted gamelands before and how it all works and any advice.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Just try not hunt on top of anyone else.

You can't bait on game lands and I do believe that changes how deer act and folks hunt. Find natural food sources.

Good luck!

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
There are some good areas on Jordan where you can get away from the crowds if you are willing to walk a little. Also, look for small pockets that most guys would overlook. I have a honey hole where a friend and iave killed 10-15 deer over the years. Only ever saw one other guy in there.

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
I agree with everything others have said. What you need to do and this helps out a bunch as far as finding spots other may not hunt, get a copy of the game land maps that you plan on hunting and ride around to those areas on the weekend and look for parked vehicles to see how hard its hunted. Another thing is usually the Archery Only Zones don't get as much pressure as the rest.

Going during the week will usually yield less encounters with other hunters as well. After the season is out, start scouting asap, the deer will still be on their nocturnal behavior and spooking them by getting to close to their bedding areas will be forgotten and ok, it also helps because all the leaves are gone and its easier to find fresh scapes, rubs and things of that nature.

Best of luck to you, game lands is a lot more challenging but I feel the reward is sweeter tasting.

My goal is trying to get a mature buck on game lands, but it may change to just harvesting a deer if they don't start coming into range lol.

Good Luck

Last edited:

pinkfletch

Ten Pointer
Don't leave anything in the woods, it probably won't be there when you return even if locked to a tree. While you can't bait on gamelands, if you can find some honeysuckle, arrowbriars, or grapes you can go back and broadcast some 10-10-10 and the next year they will really grow and the deer will flock to them. The same with some White Oaks, 10-10-10 really helps with the acorn crop too. I used to do this after the hunting season so the fertilizer would be in the ground when the plants awoke in the spring.