Grouse season .... almost here!!

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
Well I am looking forward to the grouse hunters on here sharing their adventures...... almost here fellers!!!!!

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
I have not been grouse hunting in 30 years. I love the startle when you jump one up!!

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Sure hope no one finds my pet grouse. There are so few of them I gave up hunting them several years ago.

zjohn14

Four Pointer
I was hoping to have my 13 month old gsp ready to hunt by opening day but he is still gun shy the fourth of July almost ruined him. He is best bird dog in the world until he hears gunfire. But my 3 month old solid liver female puppy is going to be champion dog you guys may see me 'on tv with her I couldn't be happy with how well she is doin. I am very new to sport an have become addicted I used to be a huge bowhunter now I'd rather spend the evening working my dogs. I live in Avery county an the grouse population is starting to get back up there again no one bird hunts up my way anymore an I was told the mtns of nc used to be some of the best grouse hunting in the south east however do any you guys have some ideas/methods on how to break my male from being gun shy? I'm so heart broken an disappointed right now cause he is whoa broke has tons of energy can cover ground better than most an is bird crazy. I plan on sending him off to a man who has grained gsp an bird dogs for 25+ yr but he won't be available until April. I'm going continue to work with him. I have tried having my brother shoot a 4-10 @ 100yds from the dog an me at the same time I threw a dead quail. I have used 22 rifle to kill a dove an he is still scared of a gun. At the point I'll try anything

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
My JRT is also gun shy but I can still hunt with him. What I have to do is to make sure the first shot counts. Might even be good advice to already have a squirrel or bird on hand before you start hunting with the dog. If your dog won't come to you after a shot then have the dog on a 15-20 foot cord. After the shot take the dog to the downed game (or the one you had in reserve) and let the dog smell and play with the animal. Play with the dog for a few minutes getting him/her excited about the smell of the game animal. This is all I have to do, after that every shot my JRT is looking for a dead squirrel. Only problem is I just about have to repeat this routine each time I go hunting so I always do my best to make that first shot count, sometimes not an easy task on a grouse but I don't hunt them anymore anyway.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have broken squirrel dogs that were gun shy, but my method is kinda unorthodox. If you don't have a place you can let the dog just run it won't work if you do p.m. me and I'll outline it to you.

NC_GSP

Spike
I've got a gsp that's a little shy that way but I found around wild birds he forgets about his issues with loud noises.

mtnbuck

Six Pointer
For you grouse hunters, we need a big turnout at the upcoming Forest Service meetings. First one is tomorrow in Mills River.

Each of the scheduled meetings will be from 4:30-7:30 p.m., will follow the same agenda and present the same information and opportunity for review and comment. YOU DON’T HAVE TO ARRIVE AT 4:30 – YOU CAN DROP IN ANY TIME TO MAKE COMMENTS ON MANAGEMENT AREAS.
Meeting dates and locations:
  • Pisgah Ranger District: Oct. 21 at the Forge Valley Event Center in Mills River;
  • Nantahala Ranger District: Oct. 28 at the Tartan Hall in Franklin;
  • Tusquitee Ranger District: Oct. 30 at the Tri-County Comm. College, Enloe Building in Murphy;
  • Appalachian Ranger District: Nov. 3 at Mars Hill College, Broyhill Chapel in Mars Hill;
  • Cheoah Ranger District: Nov. 6 at the Graham County Community Center in Robbinsville;
  • Grandfather Ranger District: Nov. 13 at McDowell Tech. Comm. College, Room 113 in Marion

FISH & WILDLIFE CONSERVATION COUNCIL
WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA'S WILDLIFE COLLABORATIVE
2700 Flat Creek Valley Road, Lake Toxaway, NC 28747
https://www.facebook.com/wncwildlife.org

Last edited: