Deer Jerky

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
[URL=http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/homebrewale/media/IMG_03821_zps1bfcc37e.jpg.html] [/URL]

Deer Jerky

4-5 lbs venison
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1-2 tbsp black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp liquid smoke
1/2 tsp curing salt

Slice meat thin (about 1/4"). Mix up ingredients to make a marinade. Add meat and marinade to gallon sized ziplock bag. Marinate several days in refrigerator. Put meat into dehydrator. Dry until leathery. Eat.

dearl

Four Pointer
Good looking Jerky! My recipe is almost like yours but instead of soy sauce I add alittle A-1 bold, gives it alittle kick.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I use the roasts from the rear legs. I'm not a big fan of deer steaks so I never get the hams cut into steaks.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I'm exactly the same, parts of the hams are perfect for jerkey (except the sirloins, I love making those into roasts).

I haven't tried the dry mustard yet, but I WILL on my next batch!!!

Seems like a small amount of cure though for 5 lbs of meat?

Last edited:

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I'm exactly the same, parts of the hams are perfect for jerkey (except the sirloins, I love making those into roasts).

I haven't tried the dry mustard yet, but I WILL on my next batch!!!

Seems like a small amount of cure though for 5 lbs of meat?

You're right. I wrote my post without my recipe in front of me. It should be 1 tsp curing salt #1 per 5 lbs of meat.

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you want to make it out of this world...brush on Sweet Baby Rays bbq sauce about half way through. Awesome

Finally_Here

Eight Pointer
Another perhaps silly question. How do y'all slice meat at 1/4" (besides very carefully)? Are you using a slicer or doing it by hand to slightly frozen meat? Thanks!

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Very sharp knife and slightly frozen meat.

Won't be making jerky again until I replace my dehydrator. It died this weekend. I'm going to take it apart to see if there is a thermal fuse needing replaced or a loose wire.

Last edited:

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Nice recipe, haven't tried the mustard either, but will get some and check it out. I cut mine about frozen also, makes it easy to cut.