Gamelands Doe

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I decided this morning to forgo my private land and went to a spot on Green River Gamelands that has been productive in the past.

I slipped into a secluded little patch of white oaks between 2 thick pine plantations and eased up a poplar on the edge of the hardwoods.

Sat til 10:30 without seeing a deer. Around 10:30 this doe popped out of the pines behind me. She was right under the stand before I knew it.

She finally cleared a couple limbs and I took the 6 yard quartering away shot. She took off like a scalded dog, disappearing into the pines.

I climbed down, marked the blood and toted my stand to the truck. I shed some clothes and went back to take up the trail. A blind man could've followed the blood trail.

85 yards later she was piled up.
Luckily it was mostly downhill to the truck.

She's my first public land deer in a few years.
zyra7y8u.jpg

ynuju8y9.jpg

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

bugg

Eight Pointer
Nice job man. I've turkey hunted on the GR Game Land the past few seasons, mostly in the GR Cove and Holbert Cove areas. Seen some areas I wouldn't mind to deer hunt too. Way to get after em.

NickP

Ten Pointer
Nice job. I've been after my first game lands deer for a while. Hopefully this year I get one.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
How does it go over blowdowns and broken tree tops?

I drag deer over logs and through small creeks. It slides easily so I don't have to put a lot of effort into a drag. Small trees are the biggest problem since the sled or deer will get caught up if I walk too close to one. My kids grew up so the sled wasn't needed anymore. I just like to tinker. I bought a drag line with shoulder straps and tied it to the sled.

It's not something I would carry for a long walk from the vehicle. I leave it in my vehicle and retrieve it if I shoot a deer. My usual hunting spots are only a few hundred yards from my vehicle.

Last edited:

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I drag deer over logs and through small creeks. It slides easily so I don't have to put a lot of effort into a drag. Small trees are the biggest problem since the sled or deer will get caught up if I walk to close to one. My kids grew up so the sled wasn't needed anymore. I just like to tinker. I bought a drag line with shoulder straps and tied it to the sled.

It's not something I would carry for a long walk from the vehicle. I leave it in my vehicle and retrieve it if I shoot a deer. My usual hunting spots are only a few hundred yards from my vehicle.

Thanks. I'll check into one of those

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
We have a large plastic snow sled we use on public land. Last season we hauled 2 feral hogs out on it separately of course. It works great I took a ax handel and drilled two holes through it and fed the rope through it. Put one person on each side and it slides like a dream. You can even wax the underside if you want to make it slicker.