Dare bombing range bear hunt

TallTine1

You've never hunted it.... Yet your still posting to this thread, weird.

duckmauler

Eight Pointer
And you haven't scouted it but you are hunting it. Weird. Nah, not weird, just lazy. Good luck.

Last edited:

Biggin

Four Pointer
You can lead a man to water but you can't make him drink it . Good luck bud hope you kill a biggin.

Last edited:

darenative

Twelve Pointer
It's gonna be a tough hunt if you have never spent any time on that piece of property. There are some big bears, but also a BIG learning curve to overcome, and Mikes advice would have been worth listening to......

Good luck

TallTine1

Hey conman.... Send all these guys a pm with the advice they really want to hear so they'll stop. Idk why they won't just ask u.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Geez that went south in a hurry. With almost 2 months until the hunt everyone is pretty quick to pass judgment on the guy. At some point in everyone lives they were the hunter who "didn't have time" and only wanted to hear the good stuff. There is really no point in negatives of the hunt since its a permit. He has the permit and can't change the time or location.

NaturalFlightCody

Geez that went south in a hurry. With almost 2 months until the hunt everyone is pretty quick to pass judgment on the guy. At some point in everyone lives they were the hunter who "didn't have time" and only wanted to hear the good stuff. There is really no point in negatives of the hunt since its a permit. He has the permit and can't change the time or location.

That's a pretty common problem here. Your amount of knowledge is a direct correlation with how many post you have. Tall Tine is just a spike, therefore he is stupid has no clue about anything and not worthy of interacting with the big dogs.

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Ok, here we go......

Negative or not, if you're going to hunt black bears in public access pocosin type areas in eastern North Carolina, Don't sit on roads and hunt the obvious road crossings in to the fields. Take the time to follow those trails back a few hundred yards to establish staging areas. Bears stage just like deer prior to entering open feeding areas and become extremely wary when approaching open crossings. Don't enter the hunting area with just the clothes on your back. Unless you're proficient enough to kill the bear in the open, you're going to be crossing canals and swamp areas to recover him. You're going to get wet! Don't go on this type of hunt without the proper means to cross canals/big ditches. Something that floats would be recommended or be prepared to swim. Don't expect a lot of help recovering the animal, so be prepared to field dress and cape the bear in the woods. That means pack saws and dang good knives plus the ability to pack the meat and hide out. If you're fortunate enough to shoot one and then have to trail it, be prepared to meet other "things" tracking the same blood trail.

That's about the most I can think of to share right now. There are others on here that hunt these pocosins similar to us. Y'all feel free to chime in to help.

To others that think you have to be a "big dog", an asskisser or any other crap that you want to complain about this forum and how people respond, the world wide web is a big place. If you don't care for the way we do things here, the simple thing to do is pack your crap and move on. I'm sure we will miss you like a cured hemorrhoid.

Last edited:

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Very well said Mike. If folks don't like it here then they can get the hell out.

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Agreed Mike! If you don't want honest advise (positive and/or negative), don't ask. If you don't like this site, take a hike... Pretty simple concept...

ncwildfire

Ok, here we go......

Negative or not, if you're going to hunt black bears in public access pocosin type areas in eastern North Carolina, Don't sit on roads and hunt the obvious road crossings in to the fields. Take the time to follow those trails back a few hundred yards to establish staging areas. Bears stage just like deer prior to entering open feeding areas and become extremely wary when approaching open crossings. Don't enter the hunting area with just the clothes on your back. Unless you're proficient enough to kill the bear in the open, you're going to be crossing canals and swamp areas to recover him. You're going to get wet! Don't go on this type of hunt without the proper means to cross canals/big ditches. Something that floats would be recommended or be prepared to swim. Don't expect a lot of help recovering the animal, so be prepared to field dress and cape the bear in the woods. That means pack saws and dang good knives plus the ability to pack the meat and hide out. If you're fortunate enough to shoot one and then have to trail it, be prepared to meet other "things" tracking the same blood trail.

That's about the most I can think of to share right now. There are others on here that hunt these pocosins similar to us. Y'all feel free to chime in to help.

To others that think you have to be a "big dog", an asskisser or any other crap that you want to complain about this forum and how people respond, the world wide web is a big place. If you don't care for the way we do things here, the simple thing to do is pack your crap and move on. I'm sure we will miss you like a cured hemorrhoid.

Seems like I have heard this before. Good to see you again Mike. Your advice paid off for this evening as well.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
The area you are allowed to hunt is no where near the farm area that everyone talks about seeing bears at. Most people refer to the entire area as "the bombing range" when in fact a huge portion of it is actually Alligator NWR, and it is a bear sanctuary. There are bears on the area you are allowed to hunt but there is not one place open to hunting that you can see more than 50 feet unless you are on a road or maybe a fire lane if they have cleared any recently. Every road has a canal on at least one side of it, so bring a boat.

Skint Back

Ok, here we go......

Sounds like good advice to me. I don't see the negative slant. I wish you would have posted this originally instead of your first post. I think the OP would have appreciated it. It would have saved a lot of bickering

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I'm sure we will miss you like a cured hemorrhoid.....LOL

Never a dull moment...thanks Mike for keeping it real.

Natural Flight Ryan

Agreed Mike! If you don't want honest advise (positive and/or negative), don't ask. If you don't like this site, take a hike... Pretty simple concept...

I don't think people have a problem with advice, I think it's the shady comments people make implying they know more than anyone else without commenting on what that might be. Some people constantly like to post like they know some big secret, without ever offering what it might be. Either tell it, or don't waste the forum space.

MoBucks

Old Mossy Horns
I don't think people have a problem with advice, I think it's the shady comments people make implying they know more than anyone else without commenting on what that might be. Some people constantly like to post like they know some big secret, without ever offering what it might be. Either tell it, or don't waste the forum space.
I know something you don't know....:p

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

I couldn't agree more, NFRyan. It amazes me how some waste the forum space with their aloof, holier than thou insinuations of knowing all and everything about any situation.

><>