1st bushy tail off the season

Crp3rp

Took out the ol Remington 1100 my grandpa gave me years ago and got my first squirrel of the season, hopefully when the leaves fall I'll have more luck haha

Last edited:

Crp3rp

Learned a lesson today haha, I winchester AA super handicap trap load left over from deer season does WAY too much damage at about 15 yards to eat the critter haha

Crp3rp

Yes I meant dove season lol, when they are flying high and fast in the later season those heavy trap loads really knock em down, and I just don't eat the ones with warbles, haven't found one yet

Last edited:

Crp3rp

It was grey all we have around my place

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Warbles? Someone told me you can cut them out of squirrels shot before frost when cleaning them. I always wait til after first frost too :D
I have seen people including my father cut them right out and go on. Not me. I killed a grey sat in SC that had 4 in it. Yuk. I was thinking then that I had never seen a fox squirrel that had them but I am betting that they get them. I have removed them from my goats and have even seen them on cattle.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Warbles? Someone told me you can cut them out of squirrels shot before frost when cleaning them. I always wait til after first frost too :D

I like to wait for a couple frosts---I am far from picky but warbles creep me out. I know they wont hurt anything but I wouldn't touch a squirrell with one.

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
Ok guys whats a warble?

Kinda looks like a tumor growing on them. Most of the time they have one or two on them. I've been seeing one at work that is about covered with them. Ill try to get a pic when I see it again.

Sent from wherever I was at the time...

Raspy1

I actually see very few sq with warbles, Always heard the first frost will take care of them. Question that comes to mind is how that works. I'm picturing a sq in a nest or den all warm and cozy through the night so early morning cold would have to do it. The sq shouldn't actually have frost on it and its body warmth should keep the worm alive. Deeper thoughts than needed I guess. I can understand the frost killing back the flies therefore no new
warbles but how does it kill the existing ones?

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
images (2).jpgimages (1).jpgimages.jpg

Here are a few picture to clear up about anyone not familiar with warbles.
I'm not sure if it's the actual frost or just the timing of the life cycle, maybe frost triggers something I have no idea. But they have to spend a set amount of time in the ground as as a pupae..... either way they are nasty.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Their bot fly larvae, frost has absolutely nothing to do with them leaving the squirrels. Just happens to be in conjunction with the time of the year that they are gone.

wsanders

I actually see very few sq with warbles, Always heard the first frost will take care of them. Question that comes to mind is how that works. I'm picturing a sq in a nest or den all warm and cozy through the night so early morning cold would have to do it. The sq shouldn't actually have frost on it and its body warmth should keep the worm alive. Deeper thoughts than needed I guess. I can understand the frost killing back the flies therefore no new
warbles but how does it kill the existing ones?

Hey I'm still waiting for a bad enough winter to kill off some of next year's skeeters LOL

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would say it would be more apt to kill us, especially since Alaska and Canada has some of the worst I have ever been around and it doesn't appear to bother them one bit.

wsanders

I would say it would be more apt to kill us, especially since Alaska and Canada has some of the worst I have ever been around and it doesn't appear to bother them one bit.

Yeah, been hearing that all my life and havnt seen it slow them down a bit.

WhiteDevil

I know this is kinda an old thread, but I'm new so please excuse. I'm also new to squirrel hunting in my area I could use any advice you guys have for calling in camo anything
TIA

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I know this is kinda an old thread, but I'm new so please excuse. I'm also new to squirrel hunting in my area I could use any advice you guys have for calling in camo anything
TIA
Welcome to the site. Camo isn't really necessary, just dark natural colors. I usually have what ever pants I happen to be wearing and throw on a camo or flannel shirt. I've used calls before with good results. I used them mainly to get them to bark. You can spot and stalk or find a food source and sit. My favorite way to hunt without dogs was just easing along old logging roads real slow and pause and watch
. If the leaves are dry, sitting may give you better results. Good luck, it's a lot of fun.

jim67

Eight Pointer
I wear camo, but dont forget the orange hat! got a ticket once for not wearing one squirrel hunting. I will pick a spot near some mast trees and clear out the leaves under a tree where I will sit, sit still as you can and be patient. Its almost impossible to try to sneak up on one with all the dry leaves on the ground, at least for me.