Public hearing on changing deer-farm management is Tuesday 10/15 in Raleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Will Thom Tillis Sportsman Votes be put in "Jeopardy" over Captive Cervids??

OPsLk.AuSt.156.jpeg

NC House of Rep. Roger West orders a "Select Committee" and it stands be seen if it will backfire on Thom Tillis's campaign election efforts with many sportsmen and women of North Caroina...

(Special Note, much content has been delibertly removed from the below ncleg website, likely given all the recent press... Coincidence?)

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/Commi...e Select_162

Raleigh, NC –Speaker of the House Thom Tillis (R-Mecklenburg) announced the appointments to the House Select Committee on the Regulatory Authority and Operations of the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission. The committee will focus on current and future implementation of cervid regulation in North Carolina. The committee will also conduct a thorough review of the NC Wildlife Resources Commission.

Appointed member Representative Mike Hager (R-Rutherford) joins Co-Chair’s Representatives Roger West (R-Cherokee) and Tom Murry (R-Wake). Other members appointed to the committee are Representatives Leo Daughtry (R-Johnston), Jimmy Dixon (R-Duplin), Susan Martin (R-Wilson), Annie Mobley (D-Hertford), Garland Pierce (D-Scotland), Mitchell Setzer (R-Catawba), and Ken Waddell (D-Columbus).

“It is an honor to be appointed as a member to this committee by Speaker Tillis,” said Rep. Hager. “Our goal is to come up with ways to help the NC Wildlife Resources Commission and bring forth a plan for the next session to better serve our state.”

“I am honored that Speaker Tillis has made me co-chair of this important committee,” said Rep. West. “Our work will lay the groundwork for the coming session. I am confident that this committee will discover ways to help Wildlife Resources serve North Carolinians in a better way, which is what Speaker Tillis and I want right now.”

The committee will meet during the interim, and notices will be published online at www.ncleg.net".

After spending some spare time following this, perhaps the "Special Select Commitee" should look into the effects of it's "Co-Chair" pushing "Political Science" in an effort to regulate Captive Wildlife!

Last edited:

Wildlifepro51

Tip, just a suggestion. Why not move it to the MB section? I am about through with it, I have exhausted any useful ( if I had any) info I had. But I expect when Wildlife Pro gets back I am sure it is gonna get interesting. :rolleyes:

Hello Catfisher, Im back from KC. The conference I attend is called USAHA (united states animal health association ) and AAVLD (american association of veterinary laboratory diagnosticians) This has been in effect for 118 years now and is a place for people that have a background in the industry share information, lecture on new science in all areas of bovine, swine, poultry and cervids. Its also a place that people that don't have any real world experience in those mentioned areas to get better educated instead of being alarmist and can only cut and past from liberal news paper articles that again have been misleading. Some of what I was attending was the committee on foreign and emerging diseases, Committee on captive cervids and alternative livestock, Bluetongue and related orbivirusus , Brucellosis, Sub committee on farmed Cervids, Biologics and Biotechnology, The committee on Scrapie. Animal welfare , and Parasitic diseases. TB & Rabies. From this convention their are some of the top professionals in the industry and is also the place where new regulations are recommended. From this a person brings back valuable information they may have not had access to in the past. If the two or three scaremongers on this thread had any common sense they would take the time to attend these programs such as others have.

As for the cervid industry the programs they are instituting are whats catching the cwd animals. Not the government!! If there is someone out there that is not in compliance they need to be out of business as its those 1 or 2 bad apples that make it bad for everyone else. The cervid industry has to test 100% of their livestock but states don't when they move and sell wildlife across the state or across state lines as they do on a regular basis. Case in point of lack of responsibility to public resources was the second release of elk in two years from wind cave park into the wild again assisted with the RMEF help?? A herd that outgrew its captive habitat with a suspected 40% infection rate.Does this make any sense at all.? Why is it ok for a state game agency to move deer and elk from any part of the country without following usda protocols ?? Its do as we say and not as we do . Catfisher ,You understand this, But we will always have the liberal activist that uses these forums as soundboards for their one sided views. Its that type of thinking that has got this country in the mess its in right now.

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Attention NC Legislature -

Never trust "Bought" colleagues advice by trying to "Tee" up a "Hot Potato" as you may get "Burned"!!!!

Missouri’s white-tailed deer are wildlife, not livestock. However, late on Wednesday night, the Missouri legislature fought until 3:00 am to decide the fate of Missouri’s captive white-tailed deer herd. Fortunately, the Missouri legislature upheld Governor Nixon’s recent veto of SB 506 and HB 1326. These bills would have essentially reclassified captive deer as livestock, like cattle, by turning regulation of captive deer ranching over to the state’s Department of Agriculture, rather than the Department of Conservation’s expert wildlife scientists.

In vetoing SB 506 and HB 1326, Governor Nixon proclaimed that the reclassification of “wildlife” to “livestock” would violate the Missouri Constitution. He is absolutely right. Missouri’s deer are not a cash crop to be exploited for the private gain of special interests. It’s bad for the health of wild deer, bad for the economy, and undermines decades of wildlife policy. And now the legislature has upheld his veto.

It has long been a doctrine in Missouri and across our nation that wildlife is a public resource, one which is held in trust by government. Generations of Missouri conservation leaders have upheld this sacred trust and in doing so preserved Missouri’s diverse and abundant wildlife. Rather than abandoning decades of precedent protecting public resources and fair chase polices, the legislature has upheld the public trust doctrine and this vote should send a clear signal to other states that our public wildlife is not for sale.

Last edited:

Wildlifepro51

Also to the sportsman of NC and State legislature , A little truth about what the cervid industry does that you don't hear about in the news.

• Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) is not only a farmed deer issue; there are 11 States that have CWD in free-ranging wild deer/elk that do not have it in farmed deer/elk. Fact But you don't hear the antis or qdmrs or liberal news boys posting about that.

• Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) has been found in whitetail deer, mule deer, elk, red deer, sika deer, and moose. It has not been found to naturally cross the species barrier. In other words it does not affect humans or domestic livestock. Fact

• Farmed cervid breeders, who are enrolled in their state’s Herd Certification Program, are required to test 100% of their eligible mortalities. After 5 years of monitoring they may engage in interstate commerce as long as they remain in the program and continue to test all eligible mortalities. They also have to test negative for TB and Brucellosis or their herd has to be TB accredited and Brucellosis certified. A vast majority of herds have been participating in these programs since 2002, which establishes more than 10 years of surveillance for most cervid farms. Fact

• Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) has not been shown by itself to have any significant impact on the wild cervid populations in CWD endemic states such as Colorado, Wyoming or Wisconsin. Science has shown that the decline in the mule deer populations over the past few years in these western states have been from urban sprawl, drought, oil industry expansion, over hunting and depredation. Fact

• Wildlife Agencies are exempt from the protocols established in USDA/APHIS’s Federal CWD rule for transportation of wild cervids across state lines. Fact

• The farmed cervid industry tests an average of 22,000 deer per year and has only found CWD test positives (not clinical disease) in less than 0.05% of those tested. This is a very low prevalence rate when compared to truly devastating diseases such as Anthrax and Epizootic Hemorrhagic (EHD). Fact

• Research has shown that the CWD prion can be transported by other vectors such as alfalfa, corn, carrion birds, and carcass movement. Fact

• The farmed cervid industry has some of the most stringent rules in place governing the interstate movement of deer when compared to other animal industries. Fact

• The regulation of the farmed cervid industry, in some states, is under that state’s Department of Ag. The advantage to having the farmed cervid industry under the state’s animal health agency is because they are better equipped and more knowledgeable of animal diseases than state wildlife agencies. Fact

• The farmed cervid industry spends a tremendous amount of money on research of not only CWD, but other more devastating diseases such as EHD that effect both wild and captive deer. Research on deer diseases funded by the deer industry would be virtually nonexistent if this industry does not exist. Fact, QDMA and the Wildlife Federation have spent 0 dollars on cwd lab research.

• Most hunters want to harvest a trophy whitetail buck or elk bull. The average age of a cervid harvested in the wild is 18 month while the average age of a wild cervid harvested on a conservation ranch or preserve is 3 years old. The farmed cervid industry, through a combination of genetics, nutrition, and age is producing a product that is far superior to anything found in the wild. Its a matter of personal choice on how one wants to hunt. Fact

• Drug residue, in all food producing animals and especially cervids, such as antibiotics, medications are under scrutiny from many unreliable sources. The cervid industry is spending literally tens of thousands of dollars on drug tissue residue research to make sure our cervids are healthy and are chemical free when consumed by the public. The farmed cervid industry has the highest ethical standards and will not tolerate and in fact condemns any practice that does not reflect these high standards and ethical behavior. Fact does the poultry industry, or swine industry go to this level ???

• The farmed cervid industry is a legitimate and growing agriculture industry. To demonize this entire industry through bad science, myths and misinformation and lies is wrong. Fact

• The farmed cervid industry creates thousands of jobs. This industry has literally saved family farms and can be accomplished on marginal land that is not suited for other agriculture industries. Fact

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Facts

Much has been shared about "Farmed Cervids" above, if I many I'd like to add the below facts to that.

- Farmed Cervids "CAN" be "Sold" by North Carolina Law. Fact

- Captive Cervids "CANNOT" be "Sold" by North Carolina Law. Fact

- Captive Cerivds are "Defined" as "Wildlife" by North Carolina State Law. Fact

- North Carolina Wildlife "CANNOT" be "Sold" whether "IN" or "OUT" of out of state. Fact

- North Carolina Wildlife is governed by the Public Trust Doctrine, and is for the benefit of "All". Fact

- Whitetail Deer and Elk are defined as "Captive Cervids". Fact

Its really that simple.

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Also let me add this fact as well.

- All current Captive Permits expire on 12/31/2014. Fact

Wildlifepro51

And a fact, New laws were signed by the governor in August to take effect Dec 1st Br you can cry and whine all you want but again you not having any knowledge of this industry and can only copy and paste news paper clippings instead of science based facts does not hold water with the general public. Cartoon photo shopped propaganda and direct attacks on people does not speak well for your direction, As I recall you asked on here for people to call house rep Langdons home number between 6 and 9 pm knowing that his wife had just come home that day from the hospital.

If your gonna provide information at least have some morals or ethics about it, But again I don't know many activist with morals. As insinuated by you a few post back I and Rep West were terrorist,?? Slick I spent 20 years in service to my country with a blank check attached to my name. I have walked ground you would have pissed your pants 5 minutes in country. And later saying you have no apology for it tells me what kind of person you are. Thats where you crossed the fine line with me.

Folks attached below is a letter from a friend and PHD on the subject on this thread. LETTER: CWD being Mishandled at State Level

The St. James Leader Journal
October 23, 2014

Bill Cooper misinterprets a recent situation at an Iowa deer farm in order to mistakenly advocate for flawed regulations of deer farms in Missouri. The Iowa farm did have a number of animals test positive for CWD—but that’s the fault of the state, not the farmers. Initially, one animal tested positive for CWD in 2012. Iowa’s protocol was to depopulate the farm within 60 days, but the state didn’t follow its own protocol and even rejected a plan from the farmers to get rid of the animals through hunting on a private ranch (even though this movement was approved by USDA and had no indemnification cost to the state). Two years later the deer were finally depopulated, but the state’s actions led to the disease spreading among the herd at a higher prevalence rate.

The outbreak was caught and stopped, all animals were accounted for. The CWD certification program worked—but politics got in the way.

Cooper takes issue with an indemnity paid to the Iowa farm. The indemnity is there because the government is taking someone’s private property—in this case, the government is destroying deer to prevent the spread of disease. It’s the same as with government indemnities for bovine tuberculosis or scrapie, and it’s the same as when the government seizes land to build a highway and compensates the landowner.

We have individual property rights under the Constitution. In Missouri, however, the Department of Conservation has proposed regulations for deer farms that seem to exceed its authority, such as prohibiting new deer farms in certain locations and regulating even who finances them. Businesses can and should be regulated, but they shouldn’t be arbitrarily regulated to death by a wildlife agency. That’s why it makes sense to transfer oversight of deer farms from the Missouri Department of Conservation to the Department of Agriculture, which has more livestock and disease expertise.

Charly Seale PHD
American Cervid Alliance

BR549

Twelve Pointer
No Sir!! I don't negotiate with terrorists or magicians. Representive Roger West's "Magic Trick" FAILED back during the "Short Session"!

Here is what I posted, you nor Rep. West were compared to a terrorist. However the way the "Pork" Bill was "Magically" Inserted into the Short Session Budget remains of great interest.

I do appreciate your service and view on the science, however North Carolina has no Captive Cervid Importation or Sale threats given what the Law is.

Wildlifepro51

I think I remember asking you about meeting or were you open to discussion and you replied ,I don't negotiate with terrorist or magicians!!. Neither him or I are what you mentioned. I take serious offense to that statement and its delivery. I spent the last half of my military service hunting the bad guys so you have a safe place to sleep at night. Any veteran that reads this should take offense to that statement..

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Can you point to the specific reference where NC deer cannot be exported from the state?

Homebrewale - I think you have to look at the Law relative to Captive Wildlife.

What is Captive Wildlife (by definition), for what "intent" or "purpose" the permit is intended.

When you examine it's language it's intent is clear, then note the year it was written. Ask what activities were ongoing in that era relative to its clear intent.

Unless an "individual" whom intent is to transport out of state on a temparory basis for rehabilitation purposes, for example... it's not a legal action.

Again, I'm only referring to Captive Cervids and the NC Stated Law. This is where people can get mixed up.

Hope this speaks directly to your question.

Last edited:

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
BR549, you don't think I've already looked at the statute before asking you that question. If you do think that, you don't know me very well. The statute is G.S. 113-272.6.
http://www.ncleg.net/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_113/gs_113-272.6.html

It reads in Paragraph (a):

(a) The Wildlife Resources Commission shall regulate the transportation, including importation and exportation, and possession of cervids, including game carcasses and parts of game carcasses extracted by hunters.

It doesn't say the WRC cannot permit the exportation of deer. Once deer have been exported from the state under a transportation permit, the WRC would not have any jurisdiction what happens to them at this point, including their sale.

Also in case it wasn't clear enough for you in the last statute, you can also view G.S. 106-549.97.
http://www.ncleg.net/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_106/gs_106-549.97.html

(b) The North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission shall regulate the possession and transportation, including importation and exportation, of cervids pursuant to G.S. 113-272.6.

Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
BR549, you don't think I've already looked at the statute before asking you that question. If you do think that, you don't know me very well. The statute is G.S. 113-272.6.
http://www.ncleg.net/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_113/gs_113-272.6.html

It reads in Paragraph (a):

(a) The Wildlife Resources Commission shall regulate the transportation, including importation and exportation, and possession of cervids, including game carcasses and parts of game carcasses extracted by hunters.

It doesn't say the WRC cannot permit the exportation of deer. Once deer have been exported from the state under a transportation permit, the WRC would not have any jurisdiction what happens to them at this point, including their sale.

Also in case it wasn't clear enough for you in the last statute, you can also view G.S. 106-549.97.
http://www.ncleg.net/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_106/gs_106-549.97.html

(b) The North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission shall regulate the possession and transportation, including importation and exportation, of cervids pursuant to G.S. 113-272.6.

Exportation is a subsequent action to the "Contract"...

Captive Cervids may not be sold by Law.

BR549

Twelve Pointer
FYI - By definition "Wildlife" includes Captive Cervids from legally imported (pre-importation moratorium) breeders and breed doe's, inclusive of offspring.

Meaning a Captive Deer Pen Operator whom bought Captive Cervids from out of state, imported them to NC cannot sell them period. The law has never allowed for their sale, in or out of state.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Exportation is a subsequent action to the "Contract"...

Captive Cervids may not be sold by Law.

I didn't say that they could be sold in NC. I said exportation from the state. You don't need a contract to export. Consider a farm called Double B (Big Bucks) in NC. The same owner has a farm in SC called Double D (Delicious Does). The owner exports some bucks from Double B to his Double D farm under a WRC permit. There is no contract since it's the same owner. What prevents the owner to then sell the bucks after a few weeks or months from the Double D farm in SC?

Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Might need to get an "interpretation". I'm comfortable with mine.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The deer farmers and their attorneys are pretty set in the same interpretation as homebrewale, they are just waiting for the new regs to go in effect

Last edited:

Wildlifepro51

Catfisher , You interested in a invite to a meeting and seminar on the truth about the cervid industry in a couple weeks? A lot of areas will be covered and discussed.

Wildlifepro51

Catfisher , This was from a short while back but wanted to see if I could load it on here for you. Its a update current live CWD testing and several companies that are working on vaccines for cwd. Go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czOSEWx7Hiw I hope this will help out some.

Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
The State of North Carolina requires that every person holding an appointed or elected office take an Oath of Office.

Article VI, Sec. 7 of the Constitution of North Carolina [Oath of Office]

Before entering upon the duties of an office, a person elected or appointed to the office shall take and subscribe the following oath:

"I, _______________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and maintain the Constitution and laws of the United States, and the Constitution and laws of North Carolina not inconsistent therewith, and that I will faithfully discharge the duties of my office as _______________, so help me God."

Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
attachment.php

A Public Service announcement for Representative Roger West

North Carolina Wildlife is NOT for Sale!!

attachment.php

Rogerthat.jpg
Purpose.jpg

Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Rep. West's "Pork Bill"

Pork-Barrel Legislation

Initiatives that do not serve the interests of any large portion of the country's citizenry but are nevertheless vigorously promoted by a small group of legislators because they will pump outside taxpayers' money and resources into the local districts these legislators represent.

attachment.php

"Special Interest" over "Public Policy" Defined!!

Roger3.jpg

Last edited:

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Might need to get an "interpretation". I'm comfortable with mine.

I'm comfortable with mine too. I've been doing this type of work for over 20 years now.

Once exported, NC could not control their sale. I'll give you a hint - commerce clause in the US Constitution.

Wildlifepro51

North Carolina Wildlife is NOT for Sale!! Ok then So I think that would include all gamebirds and fowl raised in captivity ,and sold to hunt preserves??? Is that correct??? Science and positive research will always triumph over opinions and comic book statements.. I think you should probably be more concerned about whats coming up in a series of news releases to the public very shortly.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
What's your problem with the sentence "Collaborative partnership between stakeholders, professional staff .......

State agencies sometimes uses a stakeholder process when drafting rules. Stakeholders come from all kinds of groups - pro and con on topics. They're people interested in being involved in the rulemaking process. Usually better rules come out of the process since state staff get to hear all sides of an issue.

BR549

Twelve Pointer
What's your problem with the sentence "Collaborative partnership between stakeholders, professional staff .......

State agencies sometimes uses a stakeholder process when drafting rules. Stakeholders come from all kinds of groups - pro and con on topics. They're people interested in being involved in the rulemaking process. Usually better rules come out of the process since state staff get to hear all sides of an issue.

Your spot on, thats exactly what did not occur. This was entered as a pork bill, where it was not put on the table, debated by all the stakeholders that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.