Public hearing on changing deer-farm management is Tuesday 10/15 in Raleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Deer Penning and "Political $ciance"

North Carolina may change the way it manages captive populations of whitetail deer, elk and other deer species.

The second of two public hearings will be held on Tuesday night at the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission’s headquarters on N.C. State’s Centennial Campus in Raleigh as the Commission decides whether to allow for an increase in the number of deer farms in North Carolina.

The meeting, scheduled for 7 p.m. on Oct. 14, is designed to obtain comments on whether or not to implement a section of the 2014 state-budget act that has been interpreted to allow for more deer farms, despite the Commission’s concerns about Chronic Wasting Disease.

Gordon Myers, the executive director of the Commission, said his agency is acting because of “legal guidance” he said he received concerning the budget.

“Legal guidance I received is we now must allow new captivity licenses to establish deer farms,” he said. “The compromise language also requires that we align our deer captivity rules with (U.S. Department of Agriculture) standards for CWD.”

Two sportsman’s organizations believe an attempt by the N.C. Deer Farmers Association – backed by some $22,500 in campaign contributions to a handful of politicians – is behind the possibility that the Commission will turn over management of captive “cervids” – elk, whitetail deer, fallow deer, red deer – to the N.C. Department of Agriculture. Currently, 37 deer farms have permits to operate in North Carolina.

CWD is a fatal disease that has affected captive and wild populations of whitetail deer and elk in a number of states, some as close to North Carolina as Virginia and West Virginia. The Commission has maintained strict control of captive deer herds and prohibited all importation of captive deer from states with CWD into North Carolina until July 1, 2017.

“The N.C. General Assembly had relented on the very bad idea to transfer oversight of captive deer farms to the N.C. Department of Agriculture,” said Dick Hamilton, executive director of the N.C. Camouflage Coalition. “The wording in the budget act clearly indicated that the transfer would not take place. The act did subject (Commission) rules on captive deer to be no more strict than federal USDA Standards for Certified Captive Deer Herds designed to prevent the spread of Chronic Wasting Disease.

“The (Commission) has interpreted the budget act special provisions to mean they must proceed immediately (to change previously-established law). The Commission is moving ahead with a proposed rule amendment to allow new licenses. The proposal is on a fast track for adoption at (its) Oct. 30 meeting. If it passes this amendment to allow issuance of new deer-farming licenses, it would become effective on Dec. 1, 2014.”

Judy Gardner, a past president of the North Carolina chapter of the Quality Deer Management Association, said it’s obvious why there’s a push to allow more deer farms in North Carolina

“Why does this industry want to move into North Carolina? Because their trade is restricted in deer-farming states that now have CWD. North Carolina’s soils and its wildlife are at this time judged to be CWD-free,” Gardner said. “That our Legislature has been sold a bill of goods is their legacy. It does not have to be ours.”

Hamilton, a former executive director of the Commission, said the threat of CWD entering North Carolina through infected captive deer, far outweighs any benefits to a small number of deer farmers within the state’s borders.

“If CWD invades North Carolina, the landscape of deer management and deer hunting will be changed forever,” he said. “Our wild deer population supports a huge economy important to small local businesses and provides outdoor recreational opportunities to 260,000 deer hunters and many more outdoor enthusiasts who admire the whitetail deer in its natural habitats. No small risk to introduce CWD into North Carolina for the meager benefit of a few commercial deer farmers is worth this gamble.”

To email a comment about captive-deer management to the Commission, visit http://tinyurl.com/od3ye6t.

http://www.northcarolinasportsman.com/details.php?id=4556

Last edited:

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
I have been exchanging emails with the Gardners. I have voiced my opinion with them.

Last edited:

Wildlifepro51

These sportsmans groups!! , Folks that have no experience in the industry and only offer opinion and statements . When faced with with questions to answer for they have no answer that backs up their liberal media blogs. Its always one sided and straight line thinking and its our way is the only way as the groups or activist preach. Buy again this was already signed into law in August and will begin allowing new licences Dec 1 A few commissioners have had their eyes opened just a short time ago and see the difference between the media hype and unfounded accusations against private land owners. Also Dic Hamilton and the camo coalition made a statement that deer herds were being decimating by cwd in PA, Lets see 3 deer in the state since 2012 tested positive, Hunters have bagged more deer over 2.5 years of age last year in 30 years. From PGA and deer herds are stable in most areas and continueing to grow in others, last season 343,000 deer were bagged in Pa., Herd has continued to grow steadly since 2007

So Dick show us the decimated herd numbers

Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
I understand the highlight of the night was the Captive Cervid's "Mouthpiece" being refused a handshake from the 2011 Conservationist of the Year!!

Last edited:

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Funny that the Dick Coalition is on the scene concerning penned up deer but no where to found in the discussions of the USF&W's coyote protection program. A issue that has been having a negative impact on hunters and native wildlife for how many years now?

Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Emergency Permit Revisions

State law does NOT allow the sale of Whitetail Deer so one could assume the NCWRC has to bring their permits (issued) into compliance with the law.

I guess it's kinda like putting the shoe on the other foot.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Funny that the Dick Coalition is on the scene concerning penned up deer but no where to found in the discussions of the USF&W's coyote protection program. A issue that has been having a negative impact on hunters and native wildlife for how many years now?

Yeap I have received numerous emails about this issue and not one about the Red Wolves...

BR549

Twelve Pointer
“I resent the political pressure that’s being exerted on you folks,”

Public hearings can be contentious as impassioned speaker follows impassioned speaker.

But this meeting Tuesday night in Raleigh was part motivational session, too. Speakers stated their opposition to proposed captive deer farming policy changes, and then they encouraged the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission members to stand against efforts to weaken rules they fear would allow chronic wasting disease, or CWD, into the state’s wild deer herd.

“I resent the political pressure that’s being exerted on you folks,” said Hal Atkinson, who spent 22 years as the chief of wildlife. “… But as team players you’re wondering, ‘What are our options?’ … These same people in this room would support a commission that is willing to stand up for the resource.”

Commission executive director Gordon Myers and six commissioners – chairman Jim Cogdell, John Litton Clark, Joe Budd, John Coley, Thomas Fonville and Garry Spence – listened as 16 speakers from as far away as Wilmington stepped from an audience of 37. Veteran biologists and a graduate student cited numbers and concerns, as did landowners worried about losing the ability to hunt or lease hunting land, representatives of wildlife conservation groups and sportsmen concerned the will of 284,000 hunters would be ignored in favor of commercial interests.

Dick Hamilton, who spent 37 years with the commission, credited the state’s strong rules, which he helped create a decade ago, with keeping CWD at bay. Like other speakers, he urged the commission not to rush to adopt changes based on an “obtuse interpretation that … gives you no tools to work with.”

Lawyer Clay Collier of Wilmington questioned whether the statute even required any action. Myers later said the state attorney general’s office said the commission must comply.

Jon Charles, a wildlife biologist and nutritional biochemist who owns Delta Wildlife Management, said, “There has been a lot of misinformation that’s been spread about chronic wasting disease,” and he urged the panel to listen to deer farmers with industry experience.

Myers met with commissioners after the meeting. Wednesday morning via email he expressed appreciation for the speakers’ passion and concern about the rules inconsistencies.

“The committee respects all perspectives that have been provided through the comment period,” he said. “That input will be carefully considered by the commissioners in their deliberations.”

Public comment will be accepted through Thursday, Oct. 16, at www.ncwildlife.org.

The commission will meet at 9 a.m. Oct. 30 at commission headquarters, 1751 Varsity Drive, on the N.C. State’s Centennial Campus in Raleigh. Committee meetings will be held Oct. 29.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/15/4236636/sportsmen-urge-commission-to-stand.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
BR I have a question for you. You have stated several times in different posts that deer farmers don't want the truth to be told. Since I am neither a deer farmer nor a trophy hunter I just don't like anymore restrictions being made on farmers as to how they can make a living and with the way times are they have to search out every means possible. What exactly is your stake in this? Lobbyist just using this as a sounding board, to copy and say hey I had this many people against this issue? I noticed that was your selling point on another thread. Or you just being funded by an individual primarily for another cause and they telling you to keep poking this bear when you get a chance also?

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Just someone that became interested on this issue when it got slid in the budget. When things like that occur it raises an eye of intrest. Much has been learned on this pork bill. I don't have any issue with farmers, I farm myself. As to Lobbist, John Cooper may be the Lobbist your thinking of?

I just enjoy researching a smelly topic... This ones got plenty of stench!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
How did you miss the fact that there was live test for CWD then if you were researching? I note you continually referenced older data saying there was no live test. All the articles you referenced also was old enough it was also noting that.

One of the big issues you keep bringing up is the $ amt that the public supposedly would be liable for. And even if there would be an outbreak of CWD that pretty much becomes a non issue with live testing. It would all fall back on the herd owner, there would be no wholesale slaughtering of animals just guessing if they were infected or not.

Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
How did you miss the fact that there was live test for CWD then if you were researching? I note you continually referenced older data saying there was no live test. All the articles you referenced also was old enough it was also noting that.

One of the big issues you keep bringing up is the $ amt that the public supposedly would be liable for. And even if there would be an outbreak of CWD that pretty much becomes a non issue with live testing. It would all fall back on the herd owner, there would be no wholesale slaughtering of animals just guessing if they were infected or not.

Currently there is no live test which has been accepted that I am aware of. If you can share otherwise that would be appreciated. Just recently in Iowa research was done between several Universities, USDA and NADeFA specifically on this issue. They used for example nasal swab testing etc. I think the key is it has to be "accepted" as a form of testing. That wheel moves slowly unfortunately.

With regard your point of the public spend, this is supported in every state where CWD has been found. In other states with no signs of CWD they still spend significant public dollars to monitor and test. This is best noted here in NC. In most cases the public spend far outweighs the taxable revenue income to the states. Keep in mind generally "Farms" are sales tax exempt when purchasing fence etc...

Speaking to liability and relating it back to Deer Pen Operators, allow me to use this analogy. When Duke Energy caused the Coal Ash spill in the Dan River, Duke Energy paid that bill and was responsible for that clean-up.

Should a Deer Pen Operator have Captive Cervids that escape their pen and the Operator be found liable (assuming CWD is subsequently found in the wild population as a result) that Operator is NOT required to carry an insurance bond etc to cover those same cost that Duke Energy did for is negligence for example. It is not reasonable to assume a private Operator can shoulder the cost of a CWD outbreak, so by reverting all that cost to back to the Operator simply forces them into bankruptcy etc. That is not a pathway or a solution of benefit.

It would go a long ways for the NADeFA to pool their membership and collectively purchase a Bond naming each state as a beneficiary so not to stick the state agencies with the burden of cost.

Speaking to Wholesale Slaughtering, yes an accepted live test would seem to solve this issue and mitigate the mass depredation of uninfected deer to a point. Let's not loose sight that CWD can lay dormant for a significant period of time bringing further issues to this. Im not claiming to be a scientists so their may be some better info on how long CWD can go undetected via testing. In other words we need two things, live test and they must be in real time.

Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
All of the above is a mute point here in NC for the following reasons:

1) No Captive Cervid may be SOLD. Clearly defined by NC State Law, not a Rule. (Elk & Whitetail Deer)

2) Captive Permits are by definition only issued to HOLD Wildlife. (Temporary Basis) Only fish can be held indefinitely by NC Law.

3) It is unlawful to shoot any Captive Cervid in an enclosure in NC.

4) Any Captive Cervid that became entrapped after a landowner installed an enclosure remains a Public Trust Asset. (not business personal property)

You can see by State Law North Carolina never did and can not have a Deer Farming Industry relative to Whitetail Deer and Elk...

Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Im sure many are scratching their heads given the above facts, but its like someone investing six and seven figure dollars in a Medical Marijuana business before first ensuring the State Law allows such a business.

Wildlifepro51

Catfisher , Since he claims he is not awhere of it or is hesitant to reveal it. Live test are being used by the USDA in Colorado in conjunction with the University of Co on live deer and elk, Also Wyoming fish and game are using the new live test, Herds were also tested in SD,PA and NY, Their are Tonsil swabs, nasal swabs, rectal, biopsy tonsil, biopsy Their are separate nasal test for both deer and elk.

And a foot note here if cwd was such the big game killers that his activist groups claim why did the SD wildlife again released elk from the wind cave park that had a 40% infection rate in free range elk out into the open range again?? Is that sound management??.No it is not. Vonk who helped impose regulations in Iowa on the captive industry was hired to SD fish and game and now becomes a hypocrite and goes against his own standards he thought he believed in in Iowa, Talk about money and poor judgement by state and federal officials there again is a perfect example of piss poor management. Where is the liberal activist reporters when so many state agencies move and sell deer and elk across state lines and do not follow usda safety protocol???

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
All of the above is a mute point here in NC for the following reasons:

1) No Captive Cervid may be SOLD. Clearly defined by NC State Law, not a Rule. (Elk & Whitetail Deer)

2) Captive Permits are by definition only issued to HOLD Wildlife. (Temporary Basis) Only fish can be held indefinitely by NC Law.

3) It is unlawful to shoot any Captive Cervid in an enclosure in NC.

4) Any Captive Cervid that became entrapped after a landowner installed an enclosure remains a Public Trust Asset. (not business personal property)

You can see by State Law North Carolina never did and can not have a Deer Farming Industry relative to Whitetail Deer and Elk...
I believe that is exactly the point of the meetings and bills, to remedy these antiquated laws so farmers have full use of their property. Things can change.

You know kinda like the red wolf issue you are so vocal about. Farmers USED to be able to shoot 'yotes on their property in certain counties when they wanted to, now they can't except under certain conditions.

Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
I believe that is exactly the point of the meetings and bills, to remedy these antiquated laws so farmers have full use of their property. Things can change.

You know kinda like the red wolf issue you are so vocal about. Farmers USED to be able to shoot 'yotes on their property in certain counties when they wanted to, now they can't except under certain conditions.

Catfish - You nailed the issue exactly. The North Carolina Laws as written, have not kept pace with the Deer Pen Operators. It seems NCWRC has attempted to keep pace as their Permits allow the Sale of Captive Cervids, Wildlifepro shared that a few days back. Obviously the Law has precedence over a Permit.

However perhaps a few members of the NC Leg whom have been so obvious in their efforts to fast track this did not keep their own "House" in order by allowing their own laws to remain "antiquated" as you put it.

Im sure many are not happy after all the money that has been spent on Lobbyist and Campaign Contributions to push this "Pork Bill" through has now hit a stone wall.

The Captive Deer Pen Operators have really been dealt a bad hand by the Law. As a matter of fact it looks like the NCWRC and NCDA / Consumer Services have really been the only ones willing to work with them…

We now know the Law's certainly haven't.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Catfish - You nailed the issue exactly. The North Carolina Laws as written, have not kept pace with the Deer Pen Operators. It seems NCWRC has attempted to keep pace as their Permits allow the Sale of Captive Cervids, Wildlifepro shared that a few days back. Obviously the Law has precedence over a Permit.

However perhaps a few members of the NC Leg whom have been so obvious in their efforts to fast track this did not keep their own "House" in order by allowing their own laws to remain "antiquated" as you put it.

Im sure many are not happy after all the money that has been spent on Lobbyist and Campaign Contributions to push this "Pork Bill" through has now hit a stone wall.

The Captive Deer Pen Operators have really been dealt a bad hand by the Law. As a matter of fact it looks like the NCWRC and NCDA / Consumer Services have really been the only ones willing to work with them…

We now know the Law's certainly haven't.
I guess that is whomever you are getting fed your info interpretation. Personally I don't buy the whole sack of taters you are selling, it smells as you say.

Guess we will, see soon enough though.

RAVLC

Deleted..Further researching... Will re-post later.

Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Catfisher , Since he claims he is not awhere of it or is hesitant to reveal it. Live test are being used by the USDA in Colorado in conjunction with the University of Co on live deer and elk, Also Wyoming fish and game are using the new live test, Herds were also tested in SD,PA and NY, Their are Tonsil swabs, nasal swabs, rectal, biopsy tonsil, biopsy Their are separate nasal test for both deer and elk.

And a foot note here if cwd was such the big game killers that his activist groups claim why did the SD wildlife again released elk from the wind cave park that had a 40% infection rate in free range elk out into the open range again?? Is that sound management??.No it is not. Vonk who helped impose regulations in Iowa on the captive industry was hired to SD fish and game and now becomes a hypocrite and goes against his own standards he thought he believed in in Iowa, Talk about money and poor judgement by state and federal officials there again is a perfect example of piss poor management. Where is the liberal activist reporters when so many state agencies move and sell deer and elk across state lines and do not follow usda safety protocol???

Wildlifepro51 - Are you in agreement with the interpretation of the laws relative to Captive Cervids?

Wildlifepro51

Hate to burst your fishing trip again , But for a activist that will not answer any direct questions and deflect ,your not deserving of any answers. Try again with your trolling , Your not that good..

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Hate to burst your fishing trip again , But for a activist that will not answer any direct questions and deflect ,your not deserving of any answers. Try again with your trolling , Your not that good..

[video=youtube;jwPtEAjLMEo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwPtEAjLMEo&feature=youtube_gdata_player [/video]

More of the same!!

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
BR did you take time to attend the meeting you were plugging Tuesday night or did tricky dick already have enough lapdogs?

influence

Hello Guy's,

Couldn't help but to drop a line! Let me introduce myself my name is Randal Alexander Raney! Born and raised in NC way before any Deer Pens! I'm back in forth from NC to Florida I own a Environmental Company and a Government Affairs business now over 34 years. Had the pleasure of working on high profile and complex issue from coast to coast! Because these issues nobody else wanted to touch! The biggest part of my life I've campaigned against Deer Pens & Deer Pen operators because I like conflict! I'm the man that stopped Interstate Commerce in the State of Florida!

Unless you want to Smuggle the Pen Raised Deer in or out! While I'm on the subject how come none of these fine folks. Have ever mentioned to the Politicians that some of the Biggest Deer Pen operators are in Federal Prison! All the Pen Deer operators talk about is economics and what a fine bunch they are! They never mention the Clandestine Activity that takes place all across the country and NC! Only 2 months after Fl borders were closed the President of a Deer Pen Association in middle America came to Florida knowing the borders were closed and the Deer Pen operator in Florida told him not to come down! Low and behold the Old Deer Pen President from Mid America got busted! He's still under investigation while the Feds do their little thing to make sure every I & T is dotted & crossed! To make sure the Deer Pen operator goes to the Federal Pen!!!!!!

I faced opposition against a multimillionaire, that contracts 20 lobbyist, a multimillion dollar corporation that contracts 84 lobbyist! Forgot to mention these folks owned Deer Pens where they Shoot behind the Fence because it sure isn't Hunting! Forgot to mention 70% of the Legislature was against me! Also the Legislators had guaranteed the big money folks mentioned it was a done deal don't worry! Well the Legislators now are still Bleeding because they lost and the borders are CLOSED coming and going into Florida and this means no Pen Raised Deer or Elk or and Cervids can be moved in or out of Florida! I was told in the beginning by the Clowns at the Dept of Agriculture who had protected the Deer Pen operators. This is impossible nobody can ever close the borders. I told them I will close the borders if it's the Last thing I ever do done deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's going to be one more trial under way now in Ohio! Another Deer Pen person who had a Pen in Florida also going on Fed trial! Maybe some of these politicians in NC need to be investigated I say follow the money! I say if you sleep with dogs you'll probably get fleas! Follow the money you'll find the dirt!

Guy's if you can't get this bunch of Deer Pen folks under control I'll be back up and make sure we help you take care of business! Never thought I'd ever see the day that a man genetically manipulates Wildlife! Mankind has stooped to it's lowest level to ever be involved in this kind of activity to make a living at any capacity!

Wildlife Supporters & Hunters call me if you need me! I can't have this sort of thing going on in my State of North Carolina!
Yes I'm still getting death threats from what I did in Florida! Maybe I'll get more in NC because I'm a individual that can't be intimidated! I paid for this campaign out of my $$$$$Pocket$$$$$$ this was the best money I ever spent and enjoyed every moment of combat!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to come to North Carolina and do the same thing! I love and thrive on conflict in my life. My ancestors came to NC in 1880's from the Dakotas they were warriors. I can assure you they held Wildlife to a higher standard and would never put Wildlife behind a fence! However, I was taught early in life that whiteman speak with Forked Tongue!

Yes, I'm a Hunter!
Regards,

Randal Alexander Raney
352-207-1709

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Government affairs business, LOL. Why didn't you just come out and say lobbyist? So the ball of twine slowly unravels.

influence

Slowly unravels! Going forward! Say Fast Forward!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see their faces! When they find out what's waiting for them in the Woods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good night!

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Wildlifepro51, The below article from yesterday states there are NO approved live test. Would you consider this more "Misinformation" being spread?

10/17/2014

Missouri officials approved tougher regulations for deer farms and hunting preserves Friday, becoming at least the 22nd state to prohibit the importation of captive deer.

The Missouri Conservation Commission's vote comes in the wake of a four-part Indianapolis Star investigation this spring titled "Buck Fever." The series uncovered evidence that suggests the interstate trade in captive deer has contributed to the spread of various diseases across the country.
"Buck Fever had a profound impact on getting us to this day," said Brandon Butler, executive director of the Conservation Federation of Missouri.

INDYSTAR
Buck Fever Intro: An investigation of captive deer hunting, breeding industry

The new rules are expected to take effect Jan. 30, though existing facilities would have until June 30, 2016, to comply with stronger fencing requirements.

Missouri's captive deer industry contends the regulations could cripple its business and plans to go to court to try to block them from taking effect.

"Closing the borders, we believe, is unconstitutional. It's stopping free trade," said Charly Seale, a spokesman for the American Cervid Alliance, which is helping finance the litigation.
Missouri has a robust deer-hunting industry, with a wild herd estimated at 1.4 million deer and more than 500,000 annual hunters. It's also become one of the top states for raising captive deer used by fenced-in hunting preserves, with more than 200 licensed breeders and 44 hunting preserves.
The conservation agency, which regulates hunting, fishing and wildlife, began pursuing tougher requirements for captive deer businesses because of concerns about chronic wasting disease, a contagious neurological ailment that is always fatal to deer.

Since 2010, there have been 11 cases of chronic wasting disease among captive deer in north-central Missouri and 10 cases among wild deer found within two miles of one of those private deer facilities, the conservation agency said.

Wildlife officials say they're 99 percent certain the disease did not originate in the wild. There's no approved live test for the disease. Samples from a dead deer must be analyzed to make a determination.

The new regulations aim to prevent the spread of disease by limiting the movement of captive deer and their potential to come near wild deer.

"We've worked hard to land in a place where we feel like strikes the right balance," while striving to "protect the resources of this state for future generations," said Commission Chairman James Blair IV.
In addition to banning the importation of deer, Missouri's new regulations will require testing for chronic wasting disease on deer at least 6 months old that die in captivity. That's tougher than federal guidelines for testing dead deer at least 12 months of age, Seale said.
As initially approved in June, Missouri's rules would have required new facilities to have two rows of fences, with the perimeter one at least 10 feet tall. The final version sticks with the current standard of a single, 8-foot-tall fence but includes a more-detailed description of the fencing materials that must be used.
The final version also scales back a new record-keeping requirement to five years, instead of 15 years as originally proposed.

But that wasn't enough to satisfy members of the captive deer industry, who contend they should be regulated by the state Department of Agriculture just like cattle, hog and poultry farmers.
Missouri conservation officials "don't have the authority to make those rules on our animals," said Sam James, president of the Missouri Deer Association. "The real question is what are our animals — are they wildlife, or are they privately owned property?"

Deer farming is as part of a boutique agricultural industry that breeds deer with antlers sometimes twice as large as the record for animals killed in the wild. Valuable breeding bucks and does can command six-figure prices. Some hunters pay hunting preserve owners $30,000 or more for a large trophy.
Missouri state legislators who were frustrated with the conservation agency's proposed regulations sought to settle the matter themselves by passing a bill in May defining captive deer as "livestock." That could have stripped the conservation agency of its authority to regulate them. But Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon vetoed the bill, and lawmakers in September fell one vote short of the two-thirds majority required for a veto override.
Blair, the wildlife commission's chairman, told The Star on Friday the industry lobbying was "beyond anything we've ever seen before," but he said that in spite of the captive deer operators trying to rebrand their operations as livestock, that's not what they're peddling.
"People aren't paying for the backstraps," Blair said, referring to a prime cut of venison. "They're paying for the privilege of the hunt."

INDYSTAR
Will state face another high-fence deer hunting debate?

In Indiana, the matter remains unsettled.

This spring, Senate President Pro Tempore David Long called for a summer study session on deer breeding following The Star's investigation.

Earlier this month, an interim study recommended that the Indiana General Assembly in 2015 pass a law that would legalize and set standards for high-fence hunting preserves, which have been operating without oversight from state wildlife officials.

But the committee took no action on banning deer imports into the state.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Last edited:

Wildlifepro51

Once again br549 liberal activist with no first hand knowledge of the industry, A report from a liberal activist small time news paper reporter that was done on a property under deception to the land owner does not qualify as credible, and you use the word acceptable!! That's the word you want to promote. If they were not available then I want YOU to explain why they are in use in Co, Wy, SD, Neb, NY By DOA and state game agencies for testing, Sounds to us that you do not want live test or research to stop or halt the cwd symptom.

Status
Not open for further replies.