Deliverance

Just got through watching the movie Deliverance. I've seen it a half a dozen times now, but man, I gotta say, it's still a seriously disturbing film. My hats off to every actor who played in it. Anyone watched it lately? It's still as powerful of a movie as it was the first time I watched it.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Or even never........
I was being nice, which is odd for me. LOL I didn't make it through all of it, and that was back in the go to the movie days. I really wish I had waited a few years so I could have just flipped the channel.............

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
the Banjo player in the movie (the kid) was still alive an kicking playing the Banjo last I heard. I think the town tried to sue the movie company at one point for the portrayal of their town/families.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There was a suit filed over the them song that was all I remember being filed.

It was Arthur Smith who filed the suit.........he claimed he was the one who wrote the original lyrics to Dueling Banjos.

Every time I hear that song it sticks in my head for days!:mad:

Uwharrieman

Ten Pointer
I heard a woman on talke radio from GA a year
or so ago, chamber of commerce or something.

Said folks in GA hate that movie.

I've seen the river in Oconee Co, SC, beautiful county.

Homebrewed

That is the film that launched Ned Beatty and Ronny Cox's career. Pretty amazing.

I actually read the book before I ever saw the movie. Made it even better. James Dickey who wrote the book and the screenplay, actually does a cameo as the Sheriff at the end of the movie.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The book was tremendous - one of my favorite reads. Dickey was a poet who only wrote one novel (Deliverance) until 1993 when he released "To the White Sea" before dying in 1997. I believe he taught poetry at the University of South Carolina.

There was a parody song called "Ned Beatty had the hardest part" sung to the tune of Tom Petty's "The Waiting is the Hardest Part" - pretty funny stuff...

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Ive seen it un-edited once. Always wondered who wrote the thing and why they thought Appalachian folk would ever do that.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
the Banjo player in the movie (the kid) was still alive an kicking playing the Banjo last I heard. I think the town tried to sue the movie company at one point for the portrayal of their town/families.

That kid was not even actually playing. I know this because I am a banjo player and know the fretting.

Sent from my iPhone

Homebrewed

James Dickey actually knew a lot about Appalachia as he was from Georgia. The scenes in the beginning with the gas station and the scenes of some of the townspeople wasn't a set and they weren't actors. The film crew literally just pointed their cameras around in Ruban County, Georgia.

Lot of the people were obviously upset about how the area was portrayed. Bust as far as the 'inbreeding,' Boorman (the director) used the area because a large part of the population were the offspring of Native Americans and 'white folk.' Both cultures ostracized them so they became very isolated.

The whole thing is just a fascinating dynamic when you think about the history.