It Just Wasn't Good

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Last night the Wife and I drove up to Moore's Barbecue in New Bern for some good ole southern BBQ. It was a big disappointment to say the least. I don't know who fixed the slaw but it had no sugar in it and a gallon of vinegar must have been used for making up a small pan of the stuff.

The BBQ was rank like the kind you get from a Boar Hog that has all his equipment but I did manage to get a little of it down. The BBQ even had big pieces of gristle in it. The hush puppies were fine, hard to mess those up I guess...

Most of the time they have good food but I don't think we will be going back up there again for BBQ, I could not stomach that slaw or whatever it was again...From now on we will stick with Smithfield Chicken and BBQ in Morehead City, never had a bad meal there..

MoBucks

Old Mossy Horns
SCNB is as good as it gets for me....I have tried alot of places....and found some very good BBQ out there.....but I love me so Smifffields.....

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Smithfield's is consistently on the below average side of BBQ. However, you know what you will get.

I have not had great BBQ in a long time.

Rockhound

Eight Pointer
Smokey's on Chapel Hill Road in Morrisville. Went with the wife yesterday. Best I've had since 12 Bones in Asheville.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Smithfield's is consistently on the below average side of BBQ. However, you know what you will get.

I have not had great BBQ in a long time.

I agree with the below average with BBQ from Smithfield's but its the best around our area that I have found. Its better than Wilbur's in Goldsboro I won't ever stop in there again..

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
I agree with the below average with BBQ from Smithfield's but its the best around our area that I have found. Its better than Wilbur's in Goldsboro I won't ever stop in there again..

Wilbur's has gone downhill over the last five years or so. Sometimes it's great, the next time It's too spicy, or bland,or you name it. No consistency from one visit to the next. If you want great BBQ in wayne county go to Grady's

firemedic54

Ten Pointer
You are eating the wrong style of BBQ. YA'LL come on down to lexington and after you eat BBQ the way God intended for it to be made you will never put that stuff in your mouth again from down east.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
For central NC it has to be Pik-N-Pig in Carthage, NC.

For eastern NC it has to be Skylight Inn in Ayden, NC.

Any bbq west of Lexington, NC is subject to inspection.

<>< Fish

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Pete Jones, Skylight Inn

I read up on the skylight inn, they don't serve side orders with their BBQ , just corn bread, slaw and BBQ.. I like boiled potatoes with my BBQ so there is no need for me to go to Ayden . Quite a few people in the reviews did not like their food but most did.

I will continue to eat at McCall's in Goldsboro they have a great buffet and their meat skins are the best I have ever eaten plus a whole section of desserts are offered there.

Last edited:

willch

Twelve Pointer
Try Bums they have a full menu ,, I like Abrhams as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
Grady's is on Arrington Bridge Rd in the Dudley area. It's out in the country near my farms. Great BBQ cooked fresh daily. They're open wed-sat and is very good.

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
Lexington BBQ, an order of course brown with double fried fries and a sweet tea is BBQ heaven in my book. I'll be there at some point during the furniture Market.

Victorinox

I have to agree on Moore's. When my wife and I moved to New Bern area, we wanted to try the eastern BBQ everyone talks about. We decided that was the first and last time at Moore's. Now, I am hearing that downeast BBQ may deserve another try, just somewhere else.

(But I also must agree with those on here that like their sauce done with tomato)

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Man, that's wild, must have been an off night. I've been eating Moore's since I was a baby, just picked up a family pack at Moore's this evening. If you'd seen me light into it you'd of thought I was a POW....some of the best I've had. I can eat Smithfields but it's just too doggone vinegary for me.

Johnnie

Ten Pointer
I've always liked SCNB, certainly always great service, with a smile and the food is always identical. Most "mom and pop" places I've tried across the state are hit and miss. I am sure they have great days and "good" days. It sucks to go to the "best" bbq place around and choose to be there on a "good" day. If you want return customers, you gotta give your you're best every time.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Man, that's wild, must have been an off night. I've been eating Moore's since I was a baby, just picked up a family pack at Moore's this evening. If you'd seen me light into it you'd of thought I was a POW....some of the best I've had. I can eat Smithfields but it's just too doggone vinegary for me.

It just isn't me I have talked to some other folks about Moore's since Friday night. Talked to a guy last night that I play music with I figured he knew about Moore's and he told me he was friends with the man who started Moore's years ago . He agree's the food isn't to his liking anymore and he quit with them years ago. We all have different tastes I hear a lot about the Lexington BBQ but I might not think its that good at all. When I drive 80 miles round trip for good food I expect it to be good but that's not always the case, I do understand that and anyone can have an off night..

Last edited: