It Just Wasn't Good

britlab64

Six Pointer
I have been really spoiled for the last 5 - 6 weekends. In our area most of the local churches are having fall fund raisers BBQ dinners. I look forward to this time of year because we have some very very good eastern BBQ. SCNB is pretty much always the same BUT I would not consider great. Wilbers has been pretty disappointing last few times but the chicken gravy with hushpuppies makes it worthwhile. I usually go to Grady's at least once a week. Day in and day out the best BBQ in Wayne County !!!

ST8ER

Ten Pointer
12 Bones in Asheville, Bill Ellis in Wilson, Backyard Bistro or The Pit in Raleigh. Can't go wrong.

Briargoat

Ten Pointer
Used to love it. Was invited to hunt with a club and they stopped and a roadside BBQ place. It didn't look right but ate because it would be the only chance to eat all day. Got sick as a dog. Can't even smell it now without getting nauseous

nc rabbit hunter

Best bbq once a year is in JoCo at Stricklands Xrds fire dept!!! Wood cooked and PERFECT!!!!! I eat it like candy!!

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
fellows, do we have to argue about this every time?

Good food is good food!
bad food is bad food!

no matter where it's from

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Used to love it. Was invited to hunt with a club and they stopped and a roadside BBQ place. It didn't look right but ate because it would be the only chance to eat all day. Got sick as a dog. Can't even smell it now without getting nauseous

i tried that once in jamaica not a good feeling. :) chicken instead of pork.
i really thought i was going to die in a roadside tourist trap "rest stop"
But i still eat jerked chicken.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
i really feel sorry for you eastern bbq eaters.

I grew up on Western in the mountains, but I lived in Currituck County for a while in the miltiary and really got to eating at Currituck BBQ company. It became an acquired taste and now I love both.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
I read up on the skylight inn, they don't serve side orders with their BBQ , just corn bread, slaw and BBQ.. I like boiled potatoes with my BBQ so there is no need for me to go to Ayden . Quite a few people in the reviews did not like their food but most did.

I will continue to eat at McCall's in Goldsboro they have a great buffet and their meat skins are the best I have ever eaten plus a whole section of desserts are offered there.

I hate to beat a dead horse but Pete Jones is worth driving across the country for. Plus the cornbread is the best I have ever had and I have put down a bunch of corn bread. IMHO Wilbur's has been sorry for the past five years.

Last edited:

Black Knight

Amen....but I feel sorry for all of y'all....I'm from Memphis

Black Knight

Germantown Commissary
Cozy Corner
Marlowe's
Payne's
Leonard's
Central BBQ
Tops

Each is different, in a real good way. Tops is a chain that has really ggod BBQ and has passed the test of time. Leonard's was the best old school for years and was Elvis' favorite. Payne is old school black-owned BBQ. The Commissary is my favorite...be sure to get the sausage and cheese appetizer. Notice I did not mention Corky's or the Rendevous...both are good, but the others are better, in my opinion. You will have a hard time finding bad BBQ in Memphis.
Eddy

Last edited:

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Any of ya'll boys ever been to a good old fashioned pig pickin? We buy about 100-110# hog and cook it for 6 hrs on each side over hickory coals. After we flip it we start putting small pieces of pecan wood on top of the coals for a little extra smoke flavor. Homemade vinegar based sauce...wooooweee now we're talking BBQ! Never had any that could hold a candle to it.

strut buster

Eight Pointer
Amen....but I feel sorry for all of y'all....I'm from Memphis

From MS here and don't get NC BBQ at all. I was half decent at smoking before I moved here, but seeing how it's the only way you'll get good Q, I've really uped my game. The only place we go (very seldom) is Bib's in downtown Winston, and their slogan is "Not Eastern, Not Western, But Bestern". It's o.k., but would be mid to low level good in the deep south.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Is there any place besides texas to get good brisket?

what i have ate on the side of the road service station places down there is better than any i have ate up here.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
Any of ya'll boys ever been to a good old fashioned pig pickin? We buy about 100-110# hog and cook it for 6 hrs on each side over hickory coals. After we flip it we start putting small pieces of pecan wood on top of the coals for a little extra smoke flavor. Homemade vinegar based sauce...wooooweee now we're talking BBQ! Never had any that could hold a candle to it.

Totally agree....I've been cooking pigs and chickens for 30+/- years and for this reason I believe darn few BBQ restaurants actually serve stuff worth eating (however some of them do have fine fried chicken and sides). I have my favorites and they probably differ from yours (Sharpshooter- I've had family in Sleepy Creek since the mid 70's and you are correct about your place) but the one good thing about Q is that everybody has their preferences which is what makes it interesting to sample other styles...as long as it isn't sweet and thick gunk dumped on top of an otherwise perfectly cooked pig.

Last edited: