Planting oats

Doc

Twelve Pointer
Was wondering if its too late to plant oats this season? thanks

If you're down east, I'd give it a try. Mine got 4" tall in 10 days in wnc with two good rains. Planted them about 2 weeks ago, so I'd think you'd be ok if you were off the mtn

Last edited:

country

Ten Pointer
Definitely not too late. Planted some a few weeks ago and they are 4-6" high. Have a couple of other plots I will plant once it dries out. Had over 3" of rain earlier this week.

jim67

Eight Pointer
Great, thanks. I have permission to hunt a narrow power line with pines on each side, asked the land owner today if he minded if I disc up the area to plant, he said no problem so now I have a place that gets enough sunlight.

wardbr549

Put some lime in if you got pines around. The more the better..

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
Great, thanks. I have permission to hunt a narrow power line with pines on each side, asked the land owner today if he minded if I disc up the area to plant, he said no problem so now I have a place that gets enough sunlight.

Throw some turnips in with the oats. They'll eat those later in the season.

My favorite spot to hunt is a set up just like you're describing.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
We planted 6 acres oats turnips and kale in our big field two weeks ago and it is looking pretty good right now.

Last edited:

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
I would recommend using oats and winter rye this late.
I know it's late, but I'm gonna give that a shot...just got permission today to plant a spot...if nothing else it'll be ready to plant again in the spring for turkey..

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Clovers will make it through the winter as well, it may not get big enough to help with the attraction aspect of a food plot but it will give it a jump on springtime.

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
I bought a mix...oats, winter rye and white clover... well see what happens...worst case is I have to put corn out and I have a good stand come spring.