How did the first day go?

1ylab

Six Pointer
We an average day considering the dry windy conditions in the afternoon. I missed a chip shot on a doe but in my defense she did come out between me and the truck. So I had to wait until she cleared the truck to shoot.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Took a while to jump. Had a good race for a while. The creek was up and the hounds still kept pushing in the flooded swamps. The deer finally gave them the slip. Dogs just kept working the swamp trying to pick it up, but I'm pretty sure the used the high water and swift current to evade the hounds. By the time I had them loaded it was mid-day. I turned out a couple more times and my trail dogs would bump covering quit a bit of ground. They finally wore me out and I rounded them up and called it a day. No shots fired. Couple of the guys glimpsed the deer. We had a really small crowd of about 10 people. I had to scratch my head and wonder what in the heck, nobody shows on opening day!

Last edited:

Bigtime

Yea, we only had 9 hunters and 12 dogs yesterday morning but those dogs strolled all day long!!! I was extremely impressed with the dog's performance. I thought that we would only get a couple of hours of "good" running but they ran all day. We killed 3 bucks in front of the dogs and my daughter killed a small buck from our ground blind. An awesome day for our crowd!!!!

Also this was the first time that we utilized the new Alpha GPS tracking systems and they worked flawlessly!!!

Treetall

Twelve Pointer
Had probably 15 folks huntingn and 60 or so dogs . Killed couple bucks and maybe one doe. Slow day but could have been worse. Weather will get right here soon and it will get better

Edward

Four Pointer
Had to work but group went and had fun. 1 little 6-pointer and a young man's first deer a doe. They had a blast and the dogs ran well.

JDHowell

Ten Pointer
Jumped a nice 8 pt and ran him 2 clubs away for their kill,,,,,,,as usual when running on Shocco creek!!!!

buckshot32182

Eight Pointer
Well we had 7 trucks, and 29 dogs between us. We had AWESOME running all day. We ended up killing 7 deer, 6 bucks. Not wall hangers or anything, 1 six, 2 5's and 3 cowhorns. I was just proud of the dogs. We dumped like 6 times. Dogs jumped deer and had them on the roads in like 15-20 minutes. Had one good chase of about an hour, but the rest were short and to the point.