Squirrel Gun - Looking to buy one

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What should I get? Looking for a rifle in the <$300 realm if possible. Will give it to the little guy in a few years when he is a little older.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I have a 10/22 and a ruger American rimfire........I have not shot the 10/22 with a scope yet, but I will say the Ruger American will just about bughole good quality 22 ammo at 50 yds with a scope on it........will be testing the 10/22 next weekend and see how it does accuracy wise with target ammo........

bgbuckdwn

I have an old glenfield model 60(old version of the marlins) that will shoot with most any high dollar gun around and I've seen them sell for under $200

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
For the $300 range look at the Ruger American Rimfire compact model. It has a youth sized stock but you can buy an adult sized stock module that can be swapped in seconds. With the replaceable stock modules it is like having 2 rifles (adult & youth) for the price of one. Top it off with a Nikon .22 scope you you will both have a dandy squirrel gun to enjoy.

<>< Fish

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
For the $300 range look at the Ruger American Rimfire compact model. It has a youth sized stock but you can buy an adult sized stock module that can be swapped in seconds. With the replaceable stock modules it is like having 2 rifles (adult & youth) for the price of one. Top it off with a Nikon .22 scope you you will both have a dandy squirrel gun to enjoy.

<>< Fish

This may be what we do. I think the bolt action will be easiest to teach my son on. I don't have to worry about jams etc...

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
another gun to look at is a Marlin 81TS...I luv those marlins as I have 3 , but if you want an inexpensive good shooting 22 this one is it. What is also unique this day and age is as it is a bolt that cycles shorts and long rifles, think I purchased mine in the 80's and it has a synthetic stock. ...All the other bolts I see say long rifle only. I don't think it is produced anymore but it is on Gunbroker a lot.

I have an old remington model 512 that I love to shoot and it is over 50 years old. You can find them from time to time in good shape for around 200 or less. But a 10/22 is hard to beat. Have a couple of them as well.

Kane_b

Six Pointer
I think you cant go wrong with a ruger 10/22, they are accurate, and will take really any small game without a problem. Also not very pricey. the only problem ive had is it jammed a few times, but otherwise a very good gun.

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
I think you cant go wrong with a ruger 10/22, they are accurate, and will take really any small game without a problem. Also not very pricey. the only problem ive had is it jammed a few times, but otherwise a very good gun.

keep the chamber under the extractor clean and it'll cycle just about everything std velocity and faster. I eventually had to replace my extractor with a Volquartsen after about 4000 rounds :D
Now it throws the empties about 5 ft to my right.

mattman215

I have a savage 22 id sell for 150
Never use it cause i have 2

silveradoboy

I like using my Mossberg 500 12 ga with 6-7.5 2.75" shells tall brass not light loads. im wanting to take my Winchester Wildcat 22lr with a scope out sometime this year and get something with that this year.

silveradoboy

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Shoot a Winchester 69A that bought off Gunbroker few years back...had been fired less than 25 rounds..like new. Shorts, longs don't matter. 2 x 7 scope and will get a crow way out yonder.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have the perfect small game gun for you. Its not a .22 because, well they are loud and a waste of time for squirrels to raccoons. And some counties you cant use a firearm at night, thus no shooting a raccoon with said .22. Take a look at this: http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Stoeger_Arms_X50_Breakbarrel_Air_Rifle_Combo/2121/6845
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Stoeger_Arms_X50_Breakbarrel_Air_Rifle_Combo/2121/6845
What county in NC can't you shoot a racoon with a .22 at night as long as you are hunting with the aid of dogs?

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Your wrong about that, you can discharge a .22 rimfire coonhunting as long as dogs are used in the aid of taking the animal. But I'll be glad for you to prove me wrong. I spent quite a few years enforcing those laws and don't think that they had changed that drastically.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I asked my local law about it, Sherrif and GW and they said it applies.
Why don't you scroll down a little farther and read section 13 and it may be clearer for you grazzhoppah. LOL I am sure it does apply every word of it. :rolleyes:

If you talked to the Sheriff and a GW they either rolled over laughing at you or you ain't telling all the story. I suspect the latter.

Last edited:

jaed.43725

Banned
Why don't you scroll down a little farther and read section 13 and it may be clearer for you grazzhoppah. LOL I am sure it does apply every word of it. :rolleyes:

If you talked to the Sheriff and a GW they either rolled over laughing at you or you ain't telling all the story. I suspect the latter.

Looks like they didnt know what they were talking about. I still wouldnt do it though. Because if someone hears you shoot then they are going to call the cops and then they will ruin your hunt with 20 questions and what not.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Looks like they didnt know what they were talking about. I still wouldnt do it though. Because if someone hears you shoot then they are going to call the cops and then they will ruin your hunt with 20 questions and what not.
Law enforcement doesn't bother me one bit since I try to be legal. And as a FYI I don't think it would be an issue since I know a couple coonhunters in Harnett that hunt 5-6 nights a week. Never heard of them being harassed.

Last edited:

ncsquirrelhunter

10/22

<>< Fish
Look up on ebay the 50th anniversary ruger 10/22 stock. It is a american stock w/ the modules except it is for the 10/22.:greenjump:

highclimber

Old Mossy Horns
Look around, and find a price on a CZ. A little more, than what you're wanting to spend I know, but, Several different models, beautiful Rifles, and they are Tack Drivers.

Last edited: