Raccoon Problem. Suggestions?

I would just pack up and move
:D This^^

No, but seriously. If they do return after you've taken the precautions with the food and after you've relocated them. There is only one viable option left.

(Other than calling animal control)

Your just going to have to shoot the raccoon. Now, I know you said you can't discharge a firearm, because your in the city limits. But I can't really see anyone being ticketed or taken to jail for one or two shots. If your worried about the noise, try picking up a box of subsonic .22 bullets. Winchester Super-X subsonics are very reliable. Aim for the center of the head and pull the trigger. That's just my 2 cents, that is, if they come back. If not, problem solved. Personally, I'm just glad you didn't drowned one in a bucket of water.

This thread is something else.........

You ask if it is legal to relocate raccoons in NC. You are told that it is illegal but you do it any way and tell the whole world on the www. You did not involve animal control for fear of your daughters cat might get put down, probably because it had not had its rabies vaccination. Not only is that violation, it is also putting your child at risk of being exposed to a fatal disease.

You trapped the coons out of season and I have not heard any mention of getting a permit to do so and that is another clear violation. There may be 2 or 3 more violations in this depending on the circumstances.

All because the cat food was not secured.

WOW!!!!!!!
QBD, this thread got you just a little angry huh? :D ;)

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
This thread is something else.........

You ask if it is legal to relocate raccoons in NC. You are told that it is illegal but you do it any way and tell the whole world on the www. You did not involve animal control for fear of your daughters cat might get put down, probably because it had not had its rabies vaccination. Not only is that violation, it is also putting your child at risk of being exposed to a fatal disease.

You trapped the coons out of season and I have not heard any mention of getting a permit to do so and that is another clear violation. There may be 2 or 3 more violations in this depending on the circumstances.

All because the cat food was not secured.

WOW!!!!!!!

Bingo...........you hit the nail on the head. I thought the same thing about the cats. Evidently they have no rabies shots. Most logical thing would have been to secure the food. If one of those coons has rabies you probably just infected that guys farm , and put other people at risk. QBD is right, several violations there and the NCWRC reads this site.

workennels

Eight Pointer
This thread is a joke right? A 7 page discussion on how to kill a coon in a trap...on a hunting forum? Hold on let me go ask my 5 year old Ill be right back

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I would say that depends on how far away the farm is

Studies have shown alligators had to be moved over 100 miles before they wouldn't return home. One of the reasons we no longer move bears in NC is because about 75% of them die, most as roadkill. But the OP can go ahead and ignore what every person that knows anything about this topic on this thread told him. Never understood the point of soliciting advise you have no intent to follow. Cheers!

Trophybucks

This thread is a joke right? A 7 page discussion on how to kill a coon in a trap...on a hunting forum? Hold on let me go ask my 5 year old Ill be right back

BINGO we have a winner! Apparently we have a bunch of tree huggers starting to come on here and "hang out"...... Can you imagine this conversation 20 yrs ago....NOPE. Come on guys, get rid of the coon and personally I would take the cat off in the same cage or bag the coon is in.

CarolinaWildlife

Ten Pointer
Move the damn cat food. Vaccinate your pets for rabies.
Don't drown as a form for euthanasia..this can actually end you up in jail for animal cruelty.
Basically. .take responsibility for what you have created by leaving food outside your home.
Next..

Last edited:

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
Move the damn cat food. Vaccinate your pets for rabies.
Don't drown as a form for euthanasia..this can actually end you up in jail for animal cruelty.
Basically. .take responsibility for what you have created by leaving food outside your home.
Next..
How can this land you in jail for animal cruelty? Trappers have used drowning rigs for coon, beaver, otter, muskrats etc for over a century. How about the guys up north that snare beavers under the ice? Do you think the beaver just sits there on a leash waiting to be chopped out of a frozen lake to be shot?

Rfish

Twelve Pointer
Studies have shown alligators had to be moved over 100 miles before they wouldn't return home. One of the reasons we no longer move bears in NC is because about 75% of them die, most as roadkill. But the OP can go ahead and ignore what every person that knows anything about this topic on this thread told him. Never understood the point of soliciting advise you have no intent to follow. Cheers!

I didnt know that about bears and alligators....talk about a sence of direction.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
How can this land you in jail for animal cruelty? Trappers have used drowning rigs for coon, beaver, otter, muskrats etc for over a century. How about the guys up north that snare beavers under the ice? Do you think the beaver just sits there on a leash waiting to be chopped out of a frozen lake to be shot?

John, it has something to do with having the animal under your control vs. not. I'm not sure of the exact legalities, though. They covered it briefly in the ADC class.