Question on a water pump

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In a nutshell I have a Little Giant submersible pump that is 1/2 hp something like 60+ gals min. I have a Eccotemp propane small water heater that I used last year by dropping the pump in 55 gallons barrels of water and the setup worked flawlessly. except for having to plug in the pump every time I needed it.. So, I wanted more capacity so I got one of the square 300 gallon white containers.

Fast forward to this weekend, I pumped 150 gallons of water in the tank, but my darn pump won't go in the tank Now to my question. Is there a way to make the pump work outside the tank, there is none I can think of.

So my next question, what kind of pump would it take to pump the water up about five feet. I would love to have something that is a on-demand pump, but not sure about the lift. Plus it's a old house and currently only has 110v thanks to copper thieves. And hookup tip (from square tote to the house) if anyone can,

Is there any way to cut a section of the top out like a flap and then reseal it somehow after the pump is in. I would need to take the pump out every time I go home. Thanks

MoBucks

Old Mossy Horns
I'd have to see the tank to give you a suggestion...we have a few "small" submersible pumps on our sewer trucks.....we use them to pump out water filled footings and slabs........they aren't much bigger around than....say......a volleyball......what would be the problem with making a bigger hole?

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
Submersible pumps are cooled by the water that surrounds them. They are also not made for suction. If you want a pump that would work outside the container I would suggest a perhaps a jet pump

MoBucks

Old Mossy Horns
Google grundfos recirculation pump.....if you are NOT needing alot of water for multiple fixtures running at once....an in line pump such as that...with a pipe stuck down in to the water might be usable.?

Last edited:

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The tank is one of those white totes with the steel cage around it. It sits five feet to the bottom of the tote where the lowest water level will be. It has a two inch outlet at the bottom. I want it to supply one inlet which connects to the Eccotemp propane water heater. It's not a big problem to make the hole bigger, just resealing it would be an issue, I just wanted to preserve the ability to reseal it by putting on the lid. It might be easier to make a plywood shell to cover the tank keeping anything out from the enlarged opening. Just thinking out loud.

MoBucks

Old Mossy Horns
The tank is one of those white totes with the steel cage around it. It sits five feet to the bottom of the tote where the lowest water level will be. It has a two inch outlet at the bottom. I want it to supply one inlet which connects to the Eccotemp propane water heater. It's not a big problem to make the hole bigger, just resealing it would be an issue, I just wanted to preserve the ability to reseal it by putting on the lid. It might be easier to make a plywood shell to cover the tank keeping anything out from the enlarged opening. Just thinking out loud.
Why not pipe that 2" outlet down to 3/4 and use an in line pump such as what I suggested .....I am sure they make larger ones as well......we use a similar tank to test some of our rough ins.....we have a gasoline pump with the locking flange type connection (similar to a firehose) then it comes out of the pump to a reducer ....to a garden hose.

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am sort of simple minded on this stuff, are you saying after piping it down to 3/4 inch then pipe that in the house where the inline pump will be mounted. So 5 foot lift is not a big deal?

CountryboyNC

Google grundfos recirculation pump.....if you are NOT needing alot of water for multiple fixtures running at once....an in line pump such as that...with a pipe stuck down in to the water might be usable.?

These pumps will lift 5 feet easy, I would reduce from the 2 inch to 3/4 and put this pump in, I use one on my out side wood heater, its on a hill behind my house, more than feet up and 50 feet away, been using these pumps for 20 years.

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
those little grundfoss pumps should lift about 16' if I'm remembering the flow curve right. You won't have much pressure as these are recirculating pumps. Are you looking for a pump to transfer water from one vessel to another or are you looking for a pump to run a house on(like 30-50psi?)

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sharpshooter....I am transferring water from one vessel to a small propane water heater. The water runs through the heater to a handheld shower head wand. I use the wand as a water faucet right now. I have to leave everything portable so I can take it home with me. To many thieves to leave anything much in the house. I have been broken into twice and had the wiring stole I believe three times.

***Update***
I may have this problem solved...I bought a submersible pump today at the flea market. I looks like it will fit in the tank opening, and I also bought a electric motor with a pump installed on it, that has the hookups for piping. The man said he tested the submersible pump and it works fine..but he didn't test the electric motor water pump. Shucks $15 for both of them, the pump on the motor is worth more than that. I will update later when I test the pumps. Thanks

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Guys here is one of the pumps I bought, my pump is just like this one even down to the pump...I hooked water hoses up...and put one end in a barrel of water, then connected a short piece of water hose off the other fitting. Even though the impeller turned real good I couldn't get water to come out. Then I switched and put the other in in the barrel with the same results. Does this have to be pressurized or something?

http://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-11810-0003-General-Impeller-115-Volt/dp/B000O8DAVY

The other pump I bought is an earlier version of this one....at 10 feet discharge/head it says 1300 gallons an hour. I tested this one the same way as the one above, and it shot water out about 10-12 feet. It has a much smaller base and I think it will fit just fine in the tank. Just the first pump has be puzzled. Thanks Rick

http://www.amazon.com/Flotec-FP0S1300X-03-Tempest-Utility-Submersible/dp/B000FKDLBU#customerReviews

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I use a RV water pump.
there are a bunch out there. Surflow I think is the best.
Auto shut off abut 35 to 45 psi draw about 5 to 6 feet or more self prim and push 10 to 15'.
they run about 45 to 85 at RV stores or northern tool.

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
Where are you located? I can get plenty of these totes. You could cut the hole big enough for the pump and cut complete top from another tote and place over hole.

Last edited:

Songdoghunter

Twelve Pointer
As a retired well driller, I can tell you that a shallow well sprinkler pump(surface mounted) will lift water about 1 atmosphere or 32 feet. If you neck down the bung coming out of the big tank and plumb it through the sprinkler pump, you can easily pump the water you need. I've hooked several of those tanks up for folks using county water on 3/4 inch lines with extremely long runs who had lost pressure to friction loss. They used the big tanks with a float valve on a garden hose to keep them full, then pumped the water out with a sprinkler pump at 40-50 psi. The more pressure you have though, the less volume you will have so use as little restriction as possible.