what sleeping bag

jim67

Eight Pointer
I was wondering if I could get some advise on a new sleeping bag. I have a small cabin 12x14 which is an out building (barn) that I made into a hunting cabin. It has no power or water but has a small wood stove. I stay in it sometimes and its warm with the stove but in the mornings when the stove is out its cold. So what temp range sleeping bag would be good? I know some of you camp alot more than me so hopefully someone can give me an idea on a comfortable one that wont break the bank. Thanks.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
The rating on the bag means you won't die at whatever temperature it says. It does not mean you will be comfortable. For winter camping I would go with a 0/-20 degree bag.

Rockhound

Eight Pointer
The rating on the bag means you won't die at whatever temperature it says. It does not mean you will be comfortable. For winter camping I would go with a 0/-20 degree bag.
^^^^^^

I've got a 20° bag and a silk liner. Only time I get cold in NC is hanging in my camping hammock below freezing. Good on the ground well below freezing

Lots of other tricks to stay warm:
-eat well (lots of fats) before going to bed
-warm a water bottle or 3 by your stove and toss em into your bag (don't boil the water just warm it lol)
-layer a liner inside your bag (allows your bag to serve more seasons)

Also make sure you're sleeping on something...whether its an army cot, an actual bed, an inflatable camping mattress. Something to separate yourself from the ground of the cabin. That'll suck the heat right plum outta ya.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
I do a lot of camping and backpacking all year up here in the mountains. I am like you, I like to do so on a budget and still have quality gear. I have no intentions on being a catalog camper.

That being said, for my winter bag I went with a mummy style, 0 degree Slumberjack. Great quality for the price. Style is Lone Pine 0.

Last edited:

ako_deerking

Twelve Pointer
Stick with a mummy bag for sure. A 0 degree bag wouldn't be bad but depending on how things get...a -10 or 20 wouldn't hurt. If ya go with the 0 get a liner for it. They run about 10-15 bucks usually. Don't they make slow burning logs that may last all night?

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
all good recomendations and thoughts. not sure of your budget, but it's hard to beat the mil-surp mummy bags. whatever you decide on, think about this; it's easier to unzip a too-warm bag than it is to build warmth in an under insulated one.

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Along with the suggestions on sleeping bags, add a log that is a little green before going to bed. Not wet, but so it has a harder time burning. I lived in a house that only had a wood stove and I'd get a good bed of coals and before bed add wood that wasn't all the way seasoned to get it through the night.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hickory wood when you go to bed. Damper down the fire, it should be hot in the AM. Fire bricks are a must in most stoves.

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
Best thing I can tell you is just buy the modular sleep system our troops use. 3 different bags for different temps. And you can use all 3 at once. That will have tou covered

sent from my deer stand or school

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I agree...Army Surplus Mummy Down Filled.

I camped a lot in the Boy Scouts and was miserable in the cold at night. Later in life I got an Army Mummy bag and LOVED it because I didn't feel like I was freezing to death. Today there are a lot of choices using some modern materials that I know nothing about.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I prefer a lighter bag, rectangular style, and a wool or fleece blanket to lay on and wrap up in when the temperature drops. In a cabin you may not need the mummy style like in a open camping situation.

ksherb

Six Pointer
Contributor
Go to Colemans.com. They have the best price on the modular sleep system. That is absolutely what you need. Item # 108601, at $119, including compression sack and Bivy cover to keep condensation off. Pick up an air mattress or cheap cot and you're golden.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Mummy bag for sure and a good insulated sleeping pad. I use a Marmot 15 * mummy bag and have never been cold even out west.

Last edited:

jim67

Eight Pointer
Thanks guys! I do have a real bed in there (bunk bed) so moisture wouldnt be a problem. Now if I can keep the stove half way warm through the night, I would be OK with a 20-40deg bag. I cant sleep when its hot, but then again being too cold is just as bad LOL.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Traditional sleeping bag ratings indicate the lowest temp likely to be encountered in which an average healthy person would be reasonably comfortable. Obviously those ratings must be adjusted if you are hot or cold natured.

There's a new bag rating system called EN (European Norm) that gives a range of temperature ratings based on objective criteria which is self-explanatory should you come across a bag with this rating system.

Personally, I'd err on the side of a lower rating than expected in lieu of a bag that might leave you cold. You can always open the bag up and use it like a quilt if it ends up being warmer than expected.

For the money, Wiggy's makes the best synthetic bag out there and they're available in more than one length and width option.

http://www.wiggys.com/

NCdoe

Ten Pointer
Drink lots of water before going to bed...........I mean LOTS of water. You'll have to get up to use the bathroom after a few hours. When you do, put another log on the fire. That'll get you thru 'til morning. :D

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
Be warned - a 20 degree sleeping bag, is not going to keep you warm, in 20 degree weather.

You need to look at "Down" and "Synthetic Down". Likewise, a good 10 15 20 degree bag and a "liner" will do wonders.

Personally I have North Face Down Mummy bag that packs up very small, its a 30 degree if I recall correctly. It is important to remember when you store a Down sleeping bag, not to keep it in the stuff sack for extended periods of time i.e. year round. It needs to be stored so that it can breath. The was Down works is by creating air pockets, the material must be "fluffed" to do so.

Here's the Deal...... GO TO REI..... TALK WITH A SALES REP IN THAT DEPT....
I believe 90% of the time I get someone (at least in the Raleigh store) that knows exactly what they are talking about in REI. They will tell you everything you need to know and point you in the right direction.

25contender said it right as well by including an insulated sleeping pad. if your on the ground. it helps.

Than again if you are just leaving it at a cabin and not packing it ever, you might not care about having a packable down one. I have no experience with the army ones but perhaps those are the way to go..

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
REI has an excellent selection of cold weather camping gear. You get what you pay for and extreme cold fart sacks can get expensive!

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My only use for a sleeping bag is backpacking duringin the cooler months between October and March. Weight and performance is everything for a cold weather hiker as they have no place to run when the weather turns ugly. Quality down-filled bags rule the day.

When I used to use sleeping bags, I eventually gravitated to the Western Mountaineering brand; they're arguably the best down bags made. But, being very hot natured and a restless sleeper, I have moved to backpacking quilts as I was using my unzipped sleeping bags as a quilt most of the time anyway.

I have a 40 Deg Golite quilt for milder seasons but my mainstay Fall/Winter quilt is a Katabatic Gear Sawatch rated at 15 Deg.

A quality down bag or quilt suitable for cold weather outings will cost north of $500, so you have to view purchases like this as an investment.

http://katabaticgear.com/shop/category/sleeping-bags/
http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products

Foothillsd1

Six Pointer
Mummy is def the way to go. Get one that is rated for 10 degrees below the coldest you expect to be using this bag in. Like others have said the temp rating is the bare minimum. For example, you can be comfy and sleep in your underpants in a 20 degree bag when the temp outside it is 30. If you are not worried about weight and not going to be carrying it on your back then you can find some nice deals on them. Campmore is a great company for camping gear.

As far as synthetic vs down goes. Down will be a little warmer but wont keep you warm if it get wet. Synthetic will hold heat when wet albeit not as well but much better than down.

If you want a high quality one then I personaly would stay away from surplus ones. The civillian technical backpacking/mountaineering market is usally leaps and bounds ahead of surplus gear. If you are looking for the cheapest option and dont care about weight then look at surplus if you like.

nchunter2

Eight Pointer

That looks like a pretty good deal.

My take on the question deals both with warmth and comfort. Depending on the deal, I would stay away from a mummy bag. Sounds like this will be used primarily in a static position...no backpacking or real weight/bulk concerns. Don't see the point in buying a spendy state-of-the-art, lightweight down mummy bag when a rectangular shaped and heavy, BUT warm and comfortable is more appropriate. I'd get the heaviest, non-down bag that would fit the most likely conditions. If it got super cold, throw in a light wool or poly blanket and a watch cap and call it good.

Of course if this bag will do double duty stuffed in a pack on the trail then everything I wrote is invalid.